The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 01:33pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Selection Monday

NCAA Division 3 Tournament brackets were just released today. If you're interested:

http://www.d3hoops.com/salem/08/pairings.htm
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Which site are you headed towards?

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 01:46pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Which site are you headed towards?
I wish!!
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I wish!!
Yea, same here, I guess.

On the women's side, I see a couple of teams are in that I've had the pleasure to work this season. In fact, one of the first round games has the winner of the CCIW, IL Wesleyan, pitted against the winner of the SLIAC, Maryville (MO). Wesleyan had to beat Millikin, who was the 2005 Nat'l Champion, for the conference championship, and Maryville comes in after setting a conference record for winning 30-some conference games in a row, and 3 conference championships in a row. And this is just a first-round game...

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 12:02pm
Lighten up, Francis.

The Men's D3 tournament opened last night with a couple of upsets. The #24 team in the country -- Trinity (Conn.) -- was upset. And a sub-.500 team -- John Jay -- upset Moravian (who was probably the last "at large" team to get in). Trinity lost to the Coast Guard Academy, which advances to the second round for the first time in its history.

We always spend a lot of time talking about the D1 tournament, but very few of us actually officiate any of those teams. I've worked a couple of the teams in the D3 tournament, so I thought it might be fun to give updates as the tournament goes on.

You can see the full updated bracket at http://www.d3sports.com/playoffs/mbbbracket08.pdf
Old Sat Mar 08, 2008, 10:59am
Lighten up, Francis.

I guess I'm the only one following this tourney. Just thought I'd mention that the #2 team in the country lost its first round game last night. University of Washington -- Whitewater lost to Loras by 1 point at home. The #8 team, Guilford, also lost their first round game. Lots of crazy results.

The Elms College won their first round game against Scranton, making them the first North Atlantic Conference team ever to reach the second round. Unfortunately, they're leaving the NAC after the end of the season.

It's a pretty fun tournament so far.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I guess I'm the only one following this tourney.
No. You're just the only one annoying everyone else about it.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 08:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey, Wait A Minute ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
No. You're just the only one annoying everyone else about it.
Hey, wait a minute. My daughter played Division III soccer (Marywood University, Scranton, Pennsylvania), and my son ran Division II cross country (St. Anselm, Manchester, New Hampshire). Scrapper1 is not annoying me. I guess some Forum members feel that there is a "black hole" between high school basketball, and Division I basketball.

These young men, and women, work hard to play the sport they love, as do the officials who work their games. Let's give them all some respect.

Note: I also have a daughter who played basketball, until she was injured, on her medical school team (St. George's Medical School, University of London, London, United Kingdom). She described it as being like a Divison III sport here in the United States.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Hey, wait a minute. My daughter played Division III soccer (Marywood University, Scranton, Pennsylvania), and my son ran Division II cross country (St. Anselm, Manchester, New Hampshire). Scrapper1 is not annoying me. I guess some Forum members feel that there is a "black hole" between high school basketball, and Division I basketball.

These young men, and women, work hard to play the sport they love, as do the officials who work their games. Let's give them all some respect.

Note: I also have a daughter who played basketball, until she was injured, on her medical school team (St. George's Medical School, University of London, London, United Kingdom). She described it as being like a Divison III sport here in the United States.
Relax Billy.

Hard as it is for you to believe, some of us don't have daughters and still follow D3 and D2 basketball pretty closely. And if you don't find Scrappy annoying... can you send me some of whatever it is you're smoking?
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 09:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I am a proud graduate of Juniata College, who made the women's hoops tourney for the first time I can remember. Juniata is a volleyball powerhouse and that's about it.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 10:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I can't wait for the big matchup between Whatsamatta U. and Solid State! The winner plays the winner of the game between Frankfort Undergraduate College of Kentucky and Sam Houston Institute of Texas!
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 11:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Old Kentucky Home ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
The winner plays the winner of the game between Frankfort Undergraduate College of Kentucky and Sam Houston Institute of Texas!
Do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky Louis-ville, or Louie-ville?
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
The winner plays the winner of the game between Frankfort Undergraduate College of Kentucky and Sam Houston Institute of Texas!
As one who lives about 2 hours from Friends University of Central Kansas, I don't find this funny.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 12:32pm
Esteemed Participant

Interesting that the Men's bracket had two teams with first round bye's, and they were both in the West Region. Only one team had a bye on the Women's side...Scrapper, do you know why? Also, once again one of our Northwest Conference women's teams is in the round of 16. This time it's George Fox University from Newberg, OR. On the Men's side, it's Whitworth out of Spokane, WA.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did they compete against other medical schools? If so, I may have picked the wrong one!