The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

How to handle... two 'missiles' collide?

Loose ball at mid court...

Two players A1 and B1, from opposite directions, absolutely sell out and go for ball with everything they've got.
Tremendous mid-air collision. Both players rocked pretty good and in some form of collapse on the floor... ball is still loose.
My partner calls a foul on A1, even though I think she got her hand on the ball first. I didn't see the basis for the call. Both player had an equal right to it, and both were completely going for the ball -- no attempt to create contact and shield the ball for the other.

How do you handle this kind of play in general?

Its one of those 'gym goes silent' plays where everyone is concerned for players, though in this instance the call came immediately.

If it was up to me it would have been no call, see if advantage develops after the fact. If there is none, blow it dead if the player(s) are still down.

Or, as my partner may have been thinking, make a call, stop the game, make sure everyone has all of their parts left, and go from there.

BTW, both girls got up pretty quickly. Kids... they're made of rubbah!
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:41am
Courageous When Prudent

I had one yesterday and I called a foul. A1 beat B1 to the ball/spot and B1 slammed into A1's ribs.

Maybe your partner's angle allowed him/her to see the play differently?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
Loose ball at mid court...

Two players A1 and B1, from opposite directions, absolutely sell out and go for ball with everything they've got.
Tremendous mid-air collision. Both players rocked pretty good and in some form of collapse on the floor... ball is still loose.
My partner calls a foul on A1, even though I think she got her hand on the ball first. I didn't see the basis for the call. Both player had an equal right to it, and both were completely going for the ball -- no attempt to create contact and shield the ball for the other.

How do you handle this kind of play in general?

Its one of those 'gym goes silent' plays where everyone is concerned for players, though in this instance the call came immediately.

If it was up to me it would have been no call, see if advantage develops after the fact, blow it dead if the player(s) are still down.

Or, as my partner may have been thinking, make a call, stop the game, make sure everyone has all of their parts left, and go from there.

Hard to judge without seeing play. All things being equal, stop play for safety of players.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:42am
In Memoriam

Was it your partner's call? In his primary?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Looks like a no-call to me, advantage has nothing to do with it, as the contact wasn't illegal. Otherwise you'll have to call a foul on whomever gets the ball.

Go with the no-call, then stop play for the injuries if you need to. If the ball is loose, give it to the team in control at the time. If there is no team control, go with the arrow.

BTW, if you call a foul, it looks like you have to go with a double.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Good question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Was it your partner's call? In his primary?
It was a press situation ball right about at the division line. I was lead he was trail, not sure exactly whether the ball had been stolen then made 'up for grabs'. It was a chaotic play. I could have 'become' the trail prior to the loose ball..

But, even if it was his primary. I have no real quarrel with making the call there. If he thought a player fouled, thats fine.

My question is more about when two players have one of these mid-air clashes, how to handle.

Call something, stop play.
Stop play for the sake of stopping play, got to possession arrow.
Let play continue, check for advantage, stop as soon as prudent.

or, some other approach.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 12:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

or, some other approach.
Two things.
1. Advantage is irrelevant if both players had equal opportunity to reach the ball.
2. Only go to possession arrow if there is no team control (such as a throwin or rebound situation). If team control exists, give it back to that team.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

If the players are reckless, I would be tempted to call a foul - even if that means a double. If they were being reckless.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was a press situation ball right about at the division line. I was lead he was trail, not sure exactly whether the ball had been stolen then made 'up for grabs'. It was a chaotic play. I could have 'become' the trail prior to the loose ball..

But, even if it was his primary. I have no real quarrel with making the call there. If he thought a player fouled, thats fine.

My question is more about when two players have one of these mid-air clashes, how to handle.

or, some other approach.
Look at Rule 4-27, I believe it is. Don't have my book with me, but I think that is the rule that gives the definition about Incidental Contact, and even talks about how it may not be a foul, even if the contact is severe, or something like that.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 09:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Severe Contact ...

Contact which occurs unintentionally in an effort by an opponent to reach a loose ball, or contact which may result when opponents are in equally favorable positions to perform normal defensive or offensive movements, should not be considered illegal, even though the contact may be severe