The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Another pet peeve (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42402-another-pet-peeve.html)

fullor30 Mon Mar 03, 2008 09:29am

Another pet peeve

High level feeder tourney, two 8th grade great teams from long successful programs.

B1 strips ball from A1 by reaching across A1's body in best matador defense clearly fouling A1. Six feet from me, I see the whole play. Coach whines and moans and yells to his player "GREAT DEFENSE".

It wasn't..........too many times coaches miss a teaching opportunity by applauding an obviously sloppy defensive play just to give a ref a dig.

This kid was now praised by his coach, thinking he had played lock down D and I'm sure will repeat it.

Just me.......

Dan_ref Mon Mar 03, 2008 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
This kid was now praised by his coach, thinking he had played lock down D and I'm sure will repeat it.

Just me.......

Not to worry.

IF (that's a big if btw) he continues to move up GREAT DEFENSE will become DON'T REACH then WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT!!?? and finally a silent move to his left to get his sub to the table during the dead ball.

Raymond Mon Mar 03, 2008 09:52am

Quote:

High level feeder tourney, two 8th grade great teams from long successful programs.

B1 strips ball from A1 by reaching across A1's body in best matador defense clearly fouling A1. Six feet from me, I see the whole play. Coach whines and moans and yells to his player "GREAT DEFENSE".

It wasn't..........too many times coaches miss a teaching opportunity by applauding an obviously sloppy defensive play just to give a ref a dig.

Just me....but I have cleanly stripped point guards many-a-time by "reaching across A1's body" and not making any contact at all with the ball-handler. If may have been a foul in your particular situation, but it doesn't make it sloppy defense.

BTW, what does "reaching across A1's body" mean?

grunewar Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Not to worry.

IF (that's a big if btw) he continues to move up GREAT DEFENSE will become DON'T REACH then WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT!!?? and finally a silent move to his left to get his sub to the table during the dead ball.

U of Tenn vs Ga. Girls game yesterday - Tenn up by ~6 with 30 or so seconds left in the game. Easy win.

Tenn girl gets "overly aggressive" in the backcourt and fouls the Ga. guard in a bonehead move - cut to TV shot of Pat Summit, who as you read her lips says to the girl - "How could you do something that stupid?"

Ah, the other way to handle the situation.......

fullor30 Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Just me....but I have cleanly stripped point guards many-a-time by "reaching across A1's body" and not making any contact at all with the ball-handler. If may have been a foul in your particular situation, but it doesn't make it sloppy defense.

BTW, what does "reaching across A1's body" mean?

Disagree, anytime you reach whether it be clean or contact you are risking having a foul called. Defense 101 involves moving your feet, not reaching across dribbler's body.

Sure there are clean steals, but it's not how you teach defense.

Adam Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:46am

Kinda like the difference between a bad pass and a dangerous pass.
Throwing a pass across the lane that gets stolen is a bad pass. Throwing a pass across the lane that doesn't get stolen is a dangerous pass.

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:58am

Quote:

<font color = red>High level</font> feeder tourney, two <font color = red>8th grade</font> great teams from long successful programs.

:D

Mark Padgett Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:02am

It's similar to when a kid smacks the shooter's arm and the coach yells, "GREAT BLOCK". :(

Raymond Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:09am

Quote:

Disagree, anytime you reach whether it be clean or contact you are risking having a foul called. Defense 101 involves moving your feet, not reaching across dribbler\'s body.

Sure there are clean steals, but it\'s not how you teach defense.

There\'s no risk if the reach is clean and the official is a good position to see between the ball-handler and the defender.

My feet are slow, but my hands are fast. Me attempting to beat a quick offensive player to a given spot often resulted in a blocking foul. But I was very successful in "taking someone\'s cookies" and for blocking shots from behind.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:11am

Quote:

Disagree, anytime you reach whether it be clean or contact you are risking having a foul called. Defense 101 involves moving your feet, not reaching across dribbler\'s body.

Sure there are clean steals, but it\'s not how you teach defense.

Don\'t agree at all. Any action that is NOT illegal is just fine.

If you are calling fouls simply because you don\'t like the way that the player attempts to play defense, then you are seriously in error.

REACHING is not a foul.

fullor30 Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
:D

Ha...I was waiting for someone to comment on that. I put that in to reference the level of coaching which for the most part is is terrific.

High level..........feeder, kind of a contradiction in terms:o

fullor30 Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Don\'t agree at all. Any action that is NOT illegal is just fine.

If you are calling fouls simply because you don\'t like the way that the player attempts to play defense, then you are seriously in error.

REACHING is not a foul.

Where did I say reaching was a foul?

Put down your whistle, and put on your coaching shirt if that\'s possible, I\'m speaking from a coaching perspective.

Why in heaven\'s sake would you assume that?

This thread is not about what is or isn\'t a foul, if you can\'t comprehend the discourse, follow along and it will make sense you, I promise.

fullor30 Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Just me....but I have cleanly stripped point guards many-a-time by "reaching across A1\'s body" and not making any contact at all with the ball-handler. If may have been a foul in your particular situation, but it doesn\'t make it sloppy defense.

BTW, what does "reaching across A1\'s body" mean?

Use your imagination..........

fullor30 Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
It\'s similar to when a kid smacks the shooter\'s arm and the coach yells, "GREAT BLOCK". :(

Somebody gets it..........:D

fullor30 Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar
U of Tenn vs Ga. Girls game yesterday - Tenn up by ~6 with 30 or so seconds left in the game. Easy win.

Tenn girl gets "overly aggressive" in the backcourt and fouls the Ga. guard in a bonehead move - cut to TV shot of Pat Summit, who as you read her lips says to the girl - "How could you do something that stupid?"

Ah, the other way to handle the situation.......

Watch for Badnewsref to ask what "A bonehead move is ?"............:rolleyes: