The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Another pet peeve (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42402-another-pet-peeve.html)

Coltdoggs Mon Mar 03, 2008 01:14pm

My peeve is along those lines when the defender is sneaking up behind a breaking dribbler and instead of swiping with the motion of they are running with the inside hand, under dribbler's arm, they come in over the top of the arm and whack straight down and you get the GOOD D Johnny from the coach! :rolleyes:

Yeah, it was so good he just put your opponent in the bonus!

Adam Mon Mar 03, 2008 01:17pm

All of my coaches taught us to swipe up, not down, on these plays. Swiping down brought a greater risk of a phantom call, and was less effective. Every time one of us would swipe down and get called, the coach would give us hell, not the official who made the call.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 03, 2008 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Where did I say reaching was a foul?

In your first post you never stated that there was contact or that the kid hit the dribbler. You only mentioned reaching as if that was why you called a foul on the player.

Quote:

If you are calling fouls simply because you don't like the way that the player attempts to play defense, then you are seriously in error.

Why in heaven's sake would you assume that?

Because you wrote this:
Quote:

B1 strips ball from A1 by reaching across A1's body

fullor30 Mon Mar 03, 2008 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
In your first post you never stated that there was contact or that the kid hit the dribbler. You only mentioned reaching as if that was why you called a foul on the player.

Because you wrote this:

You failed to read the whole post "clearly fouling A1"

I can't make it any clearer, counselor. Operative word is clearly.

Don't be so silly.

Raymond Mon Mar 03, 2008 02:16pm

Quote:

Watch for Badnewsref to ask what "A bonehead move is ?"............:rolleyes:

Bonehead is worrying about the coaching principles being passed along to players then being bewildered when not everyone agrees with you. ;)

Quote:

You failed to read the whole post "clearly fouling A1"

I can't make it any clearer, counselor. Operative word is clearly.

Don't be so silly.

Putting it more clearly would be to actually say what he did to foul A1, not say he stripped the ball.

blindzebra Mon Mar 03, 2008 03:38pm

My first thought when I read the OP was did he call the foul for reaching?

So no it WAS NOT clear.

fullor30 Mon Mar 03, 2008 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Bonehead is worrying about the coaching principles being passed along to players then being bewildered when not everyone agrees with you. ;)

A little crisp today , are we?;)

Don't believe I mentioned worrying anywhere. I hope fabricating things doesn't carry over to your officiating:)

Putting it more clearly would be to actually say what he did to foul A1, not say he stripped the ball.

Not sure if you came over from officiating soccer or another sport recently, if so, I understand your frustration with comprehending the thread.:)

fullor30 Mon Mar 03, 2008 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
My first thought when I read the OP was did he call the foul for reaching?

So no it WAS NOT clear.

I'll agree with on it being your first thought.

blindzebra Mon Mar 03, 2008 03:46pm

Quote:

Obviously that is one more than you have had.:rolleyes:

jdw3018 Mon Mar 03, 2008 03:47pm

Quote:

I don't know, Fullor, I had the same thought as well. In fact, you still haven't stated what he did to foul.

Raymond Mon Mar 03, 2008 03:47pm

:)
Quote:

Not sure if you came over from officiating soccer or another sport recently, if so, I understand your frustration with comprehending the thread.:)

Nah, don't think I've posted anything in the Soccer forums. Mostly just watch my kids play and frown when parents start to berate the officials.

I mostly lurk around here to get a better understanding of "over-the-back" and "3-second" calls. But thanks for your concern!

Quote:

Don't believe I mentioned worrying anywhere. I hope fabricating things doesn't carry over to your officiating

No problems in that department. I never call phantom "reach across the body" fouls when point guards get the ball stolen. :cool:

blindzebra Mon Mar 03, 2008 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
I don't know, Fullor, I had the same thought as well. In fact, you still haven't stated what he did to foul.

That's because he can't...he called a reaching foul in the best Billy Packer style of officiating...he's just deflecting.;)

fullor30 Mon Mar 03, 2008 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018

Geesh............... the whole point of the stoopid thread was a coach who likes to ride the official by complimenting his player for an obvious foul(take your pick) rather than use it for a teaching situation.

It doesn't matter what foul I called, again , that's not the point.

(Pssst, if you must know I called #28. Don't tell Badnews or Nevada, I'm having too much fun.)

fullor30 Mon Mar 03, 2008 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
That's because he can't...he called a reaching foul in the best Billy Packer style of officiating...he's just deflecting.;)

Boy, you got the right moniker.

Raymond Mon Mar 03, 2008 04:10pm

Quote:

(Pssst, if you must know I called #28. Don't tell Badnews or Nevada, I'm having too much fun.)

Pardon me, I was away perusing the Lacrosse forum. What did I miss?

Well look at that, 1,500 posts!!! That badminton forum sure has kept me busy.