Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 10:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Very, very different.

Quote:
Originally posted by daves

This is a basketball forum. I find your proselytizing offensive. Do your preaching elsewhere.

Bob [/B]
Zebra,
I find your criticism of rev's signature line offensive. Why no criticism when people write Peace or Whack em or any of the many other signature lines that people have? If you don't like what his signature line is saying then ignore it. Don't slam the man for what he believes. [/B][/QUOTE]

Why do you have to bring my signature into this. I think the offensiveness is quite different here. He is talking about a religous belief. "Peace" is just saying goodby. I think the too are quite different. I may not agree with the idea that the Rev's signature is offensive, but I do understand. Religion is a personal thing, and many people do not want to have beliefs pushed on them. What youw some of you say if someone said, "All peace to Allah." How many here would get offended or try to suggest something that is not there?

Free speech only has to do with the government and certain entities that are directly affected by the government. This forum might not be the place for that. Remember we do have people here of many religions and beliefs. But then again, I really do not see the big deal either. But Blueref has the right to find it objectionable. I believe in Christ too, but I do not think this is the place for that either.

But then again, I am just one person.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

REV:

"proselytize (pròs´e-lî-tìz´) verb
proselytized, proselytizing, proselytizes verb, intransitive
1.To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.
2.To induce someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine."

By telling us to accept Christ is proselytizing, no matter what you call it. I don't find Jesus' name offensive. What I do find offensive is having it shoved in my face in a sports forum. You want to invoke his name, do it on a religious setting.

And Mark:

You're so right about the First Amendment. The Constitution puts restrictions on the Government, not private entities.

Bob

Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Rev:

This is a basketball forum. I find your proselytizing offensive. Do your preaching elsewhere.

Bob
Frankly, I am shocked and disappointed at this latest development in our community. I come home from watching a very good team play basketball and find you blasting RevRef, who happens to be a friend of mine, because of his signature line. I do not think that this is pros...ing, or whatever, I can't even spell it. He does not preach to me or anyone else unless asked to and this is not what he is doing by having this signature, THAT IS WHAT HE BELIEVES. Like it or not, deal with it. You wanna pick a fight with the Rev, pick it here, bud.

[Edited by devdog69 on Feb 28th, 2002 at 08:30 AM]
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 02:11am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Rev:

Bob
Frankly, I am shocked and disappointed at this latest development in our community. I come home from watching a very good team play basketball and find you blasting RevRef, who happens to be a friend of mine because of his signature line. I do not think that this is pros...ing, or whatever, I can't even spell it. He does not preach to me or anyone else unless asked to and this is not what he is doing by having this signature, THAT IS WHAT HE BELIEVES. Like it or not, deal with it. You wanna pick a fight with the Rev, pick it here, bud.
OK - what if his (or anyone else's) signature was "Your worst call? Trust Christ today."

How would you feel then? Offended? Would you not say something about it? I can't believe there wouldn't be lots of comments about how inappropriate and offensive it was to many people.

BTW - because of lack of punctuation, your post implies that RevRef is a friend of yours because of his signature line. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way and I just wanted to try to be fair and stop anyone else from making an issue of it just because of a minor error, which we all do sometimes. I'm not being sarcastic here - really - just trying to show some balance. I don't like to get involved in anything personal on this forum, but like others, I would like to stick to basketball and reserve religion for a different venue. That's all I meant.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
OK - what if his (or anyone else's) signature was "Your worst call? Trust Christ today."

How would you feel then? Offended? Would you not say something about it? I can't believe there wouldn't be lots of comments about how inappropriate and offensive it was to many people.
No problem with that here. That's his choice, not mine. Whether I like it or not doesn't have anything to do with whether he can post it or not. If you find something here offensive, contact a moderator. It's their job to decide whether a post or remark violates the forum rules or not, not yours or mine.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 10:44am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[QUOTE
If you were at the door all suited up to go onto the court, guess what, you had taken jurisdiction. You should have charged a technical foul to every player that you saw dunk the ball. Dunking the ball during a dead ball is a safety issue. I think that you blew this one. And I would not care what game management thought. You saw it and did not penalize it.
I absolutely disagree with this statement. We were not on the court, we were in a hallway. If dunking is a safety issue, why is it allowed in games? Other safety items (hard objects on the body, chains, necklaces, earrings, etc.) are banned by rule, but dunking is not addressed.

I am sure that you would have T'd every player that dunked and started the game with 30 foul shots, but I am not you and, thank heavens, have enough common sense to do the right thing. While you believe I blew it, those who evalute our performance at the tournament thought otherwise--I am working the quarterfinals tonight.

BTW, I agree about the game management. I only mentioned it because someone else did.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

get a life!!!
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

ur call, ditto.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Re: Very, very different.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by daves

Bob
Zebra,
I find your criticism of rev's signature line offensive. Why no criticism when people write Peace or Whack em or any of the many other signature lines that people have? If you don't like what his signature line is saying then ignore it. Don't slam the man for what he believes. [/B]
Why do you have to bring my signature into this. I think the offensiveness is quite different here. He is talking about a religous belief. "Peace" is just saying goodby. I think the too are quite different. I may not agree with the idea that the Rev's signature is offensive, but I do understand. Religion is a personal thing, and many people do not want to have beliefs pushed on them. What youw some of you say if someone said, "All peace to Allah." How many here would get offended or try to suggest something that is not there?

Free speech only has to do with the government and certain entities that are directly affected by the government. This forum might not be the place for that. Remember we do have people here of many religions and beliefs. But then again, I really do not see the big deal either. But Blueref has the right to find it objectionable. I believe in Christ too, but I do not think this is the place for that either.

But then again, I am just one person.

Peace [/B][/QUOTE]

I only used it as an example. It was not intended to pick on you or single you out.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 11:48am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Aren't we, as officials, supposed to maintain some sort of composure?

Let's remember that officials come from all walks of life with different backgrounds, jobs, families, etc. This is a place that we can all come together to talk about sports officiating, regardless of other differences that we might have.

Someone's signature line is simply a personal expression. In this case, the person is a reverand, so it is apt that his sig line is religious related.

Posts unrelated to officiating are not allowed here. That is, if someone were to post something politial, religious, etc. it would be deleted, regardless of whether I (or anyone else at Officiating.com) agreed with it.

The only reason that I have not deleted the off-topic posts on this thread is that I didn't see it until we had already reached two pages (read: too much trouble ). So, instead, I am simply going to close the thread so that we can get back to the discussion of officiating.

Thanks,
Brad
Closed Thread