The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Figure this one out

2 minutes to go in sectional tourney high school game. Coach asks how many time outs he has left the refs checks with the official scorer and he tells them they have 2 time outs left, so with a minute left coach takes another time out so he should have 1 left. They are down 2 and get he ball back with 15 seconds left and call a time out, while they are in the huddle setting up a play to tie or win the game the official scorer call the refs over and says he made a mistake they DIDN'T have any time outs left. What do you do? Here is what they did they called a TECHNICAL and the other team made both free throws and the game is basically lost. This isn't the refs fault but someone at the scorers table has to be held accountable. How do you handle this? This really happened. I know the coaches have to keep track of the timeouts also so they have to share in the blame. The refs were put in a bad situation.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT
2 minutes to go in sectional tourney high school game. Coach asks how many time outs he has left the refs checks with the official scorer and he tells them they have 2 time outs left, so with a minute left coach takes another time out so he should have 1 left. They are down 2 and get he ball back with 15 seconds left and call a time out, while they are in the huddle setting up a play to tie or win the game the official scorer call the refs over and says he made a mistake they DIDN'T have any time outs left. What do you do? Here is what they did they called a TECHNICAL and the other team made both free throws and the game is basically lost. This isn't the refs fault but someone at the scorers table has to be held accountable. How do you handle this? This really happened. I know the coaches have to keep track of the timeouts also so they have to share in the blame. The refs were put in a bad situation.
You just told us what the officials did!!! That's what you do.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

What's to figure out??

Scorer screwed up....coach was properly assessed a technical foul for requesting an excessive time out. Sounds like it was handled correctly.

You're right...it's a bad situation. I'm sorry your team lost the game.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

I was just a fan

I had no rooting interest in either team.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

I will take a shot

We had this discussion at our association meeting. It is not our responsibility to tell coaches what they have left. If I check the book, it is for my crews knowledge not coaches. If a coach asks, I will tell them to have their assistant check at table.

In the situation you state - no choice but a technical against them. If the book is wrong - its wrong - nothing more. Tell the coach you have to go by what home scorer has.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2 minutes to go in sectional tourney high school game. Coach asks how many time outs?
I'm assuming he's asking during a deadball. Regardless, if he asks me, I'm going to answer him with "I DON'T KNOW COACH". That's what he has a scorer, as well as assistant coaches to keep up with that stuff. If he asks you how many fouls does his player have, are you going to check the book for that as well, and tell him?
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

The only time we are giving the timeouts left is when they are out.

We don't keep track and we are not messengers, so until they use their last one, it's the teams responsibility.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
Quote:
2 minutes to go in sectional tourney high school game. Coach asks how many time outs he has left the refs checks with the official scorer and he tells them they have 2 time outs left, so with a minute left coach takes another time out so he should have 1 left. They are down 2 and get he ball back with 15 seconds left and call a time out, while they are in the huddle setting up a play to tie or win the game the official scorer call the refs over and says he made a mistake they DIDN'T have any time outs left. What do you do? Here is what they did they called a TECHNICAL and the other team made both free throws and the game is basically lost. This isn't the refs fault but someone at the scorers table has to be held accountable. How do you handle this? This really happened.
You just told us what the officials did!!! That's what you do.
They really got it right.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
I had nearly this same situation earlier this year in a BIG game. Coach went ballistic, problem was, scorer was correct the whole time, HIS asst screwed up told him he had 1 left. No choice but to assess the technical. When it comes down to it, coach has to maintain them "in-house" so to speak. Theres nothing to sort out, if scored told him he had 2, he needed to verify with his bookkeeper, don't just assume. Good lesson for him.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH
I had nearly this same situation earlier this year in a BIG game. Coach went ballistic, problem was, scorer was correct the whole time, HIS asst screwed up told him he had 1 left. No choice but to assess the technical. When it comes down to it, coach has to maintain them "in-house" so to speak. Theres nothing to sort out, if scored told him he had 2, he needed to verify with his bookkeeper, don't just assume. Good lesson for him.
Actually the scorer did screw up.

They are required through an official to inform a team when they lose their final TO.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra

They are required through an official to inform a team when they lose their final TO.
And I'm wondering how the scorer suddenly discovered this in the middle of the time out. Me thinks maybe all the facts for this story aren't available.

TonyT, how did you ascertain the facts to this story?
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH

Quote:

Sounds to me that the scorer did notify someone that the coach used his last time-out. Otherwise, why would he be mad?
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
If a coach asks, I will tell them to have their assistant check at table.
The assistant is allowed to go to the table ?
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH

Sounds to me that the scorer did notify someone that the coach used his last time-out. Otherwise, why would he be mad?
The idea...and the rule...is to tell them before they call an extra one, not after.

So when team A uses their 5th TO, the scorer should be telling the reporting official that they are out and that official should then carry that info to the huddle of team A.

Sure a team should no their TO situation but that does not excuse the scorer or officials from doing what is required of them in their duties.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 05:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
How do you lose a time out? Does it drop out of the book or something?

HAHA - couldn't help it. Ran out of meds this morning.