The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 19, 2000, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Last night, late in game, approx :40 remaining. B leads by 2. B is running four corner offense wasting time (and doing a good job of it). Coach A realizing she must do something to break the flow, calls for a time out. Now we all know that they are not intitled to it because they do not have control of the ball, however, partner who is in trail close to bench stops the game. I heard only "Timeout" and thought the offensive team called it. Partner realizing his mistake then says sorry no timeout, and immediately puts the ball back in play. Coach B is turning blue, wanting a T for Coach A calling a timeout. Our explanation, no T, it was partners mistake stopping the game, he should have just ignored the request due to lack of control of the ball. I was just hoping that while the ball was dead the Coach did not repeat her request, because then she would have been entitled to a timeout. Now lets hear some opinions.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2000, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the correct thing to do, You are correct in no T. Nice of that coach not to request a timeout tho!!

[This message has been edited by Smoke (edited February 19, 2000).]
Old Sat Feb 19, 2000, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Brian, I think that the way you worked it makes lots of sense and seems the most practical thing to do under the circumstances.

However, in the case book there is an EXACT situation (5.8.3E on page 38) that says the timeout should have been assessed to Team B and used, even though it was erroneously recognized. It reads like this:

"Play: The official erroneously grants Team B a time-out in a situation when Team B cannot have one. What happens now? Ruling: Team B is entitled to use the time-out since it was granted. The time-out once granted CANNOT be reovked and is charged to Team B. All privileges and rights permitted during a charged time-out are available to both teams."

My understanding according to NFHS rules is that once the whistle is blown in response to a time-out request (whether the request is legal or not), you "charge it and use it" even if the team was not legally entitled to it. Of course, the preventive remedy is to not blow the whistle in response to a timeout request that a team is not entitled to receive.

According to this rule, when your partner (who as trail and near the bench where the coach hollered timeout) blew the whistle and "stopped the game," then Team B should have been allowed the time-out. While it is an error, it is not a correctable error. Once the whistle is blown, you probably should just live with it.

I agree with both you and Smoke that, according to how you did work the situation, if the coach had repeated the timeout request during the dead ball period, you would then have been required to award the timeout.

Hey, sometimes it happens and when it does, you just do your very best in light of the circumstances. It sounds like the two of you did alright.

BTW, I believe in NCAA an erroneous timeout is handled differently (probably just like you worked it), in that it is not assessed, at least according to the "1999-2000 rules differences chart" listed in the NFHS rule book and the NCAA rule book.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2000, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Since the official heard Coach A request a timeout and stopped play because of that request, give Team A a timeout, even though the ball was not in their possession. You cannot set aside the inadvertant whistle. Poor job by the official, as in that situation you have to be aware of team possession, especially in this time of the game.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2000, 04:18pm
In Memoriam

quote:
Originally posted by b_silliman on 02-20-2000 02:27 PM
Since the official heard Coach A request a timeout and stopped play because of that request, give Team A a timeout, even though the ball was not in their possession. You cannot set aside the inadvertant whistle. Poor job by the official, as in that situation you have to be aware of team possession, especially in this time of the game.

I agree with the Ranger, the partner made TWO mistakes, one in granting and one in cancelling.
mick

At which US Park do you work?