The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Crazy ending last night..........

found this on another board:
Quote:
So last night I went to the Albany/Mcmain 3A boys playoff game. Albany was down by 1 and had the ball with 10 seconds left. They put up a shot and miss and Mcmain grabs the rebound. Albany fouls the Mcmain player with 0.1 seconds on the clock sending him to the line for 2 shots(it was double bonus). Now most people, including myself, would think the game would be over. Seriously, Mcmain is shooting 2 free throws, with the lead, with only 0.1 seconds on the clock. So people start to file out of the gym. Well, out of nowhere for some odd reason, one of the Mcmain players un-tucks his jersey and attempts to remove it before the free throws are shot. The referees instantly T him up. UNBELIEVABLE!!! So now Albany gets 2 technical shots after Mcmain attempts their 2 foul shots. I couldn't believe what I just saw. The Mcmain player at the line then manages to miss not one but both free throws. Now Albany has a chance to tie or win it with their free throws. The first rims out. The second hits the back of the iron, bounces high in the air, and straight through the net. The game then proceeds to overtime where Albany wins it 67-63!

Definitely the weirdest ending to any game that I have ever seen.
This was a second round game in the Louisiana Boys State Playoffs played at Albany HS. Albany HS is in Livingston Parish, just outside of Baton Rouge. McMain HS is in New Orleans, LA

I have no idea what the young man from McMain was trying to accomplish by removing his jersey with time on the clock, but what he did do was cause his team to lose.
"Earl Strom is a throwback, a reminder of the days when the refs had colorful personalities, the days when war-horses like Mendy Rudolph, Norm Drucker, and a younger Earl Strom were called the father, the son, and the holy ghost.—Roy Firestone, sports commentator
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Reff
found this on another board:

This was a second round game in the Louisiana Boys State Playoffs played at Albany HS. Albany HS is in Livingston Parish, just outside of Baton Rouge. McMain HS is in New Orleans, LA

I have no idea what the young man from McMain was trying to accomplish by removing his jersey with time on the clock, but what he did do was cause his team to lose.
Isn't there a difference between "attempts" and "actually does" take it off?
If he untucks, he should be instucted to tuck back in before play starts again, correct?

I can see the T if he succeded to take it off. Right? (No book here)

Wonder if he was bench personnel or in the game?
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
Isn't there a difference between "attempts" and "actually does" take it off?
If he untucks, he should be instucted to tuck back in before play starts again, correct?

I can see the T if he succeded to take it off. Right? (No book here)

Wonder if he was bench personnel or in the game?
best I can determine he was in the game, he made a dramatic showing of untucking his jersey

I will have to see if the originator of the thread can clarify a bit, but one would assume that there was an issue in this game with the jerseys coming out and the official had probably warned them. Still a technical that puts a seemingly "decided" game in doubt seems a bit extreme, especially for a playoff game. I will see if i can find out more.
"Earl Strom is a throwback, a reminder of the days when the refs had colorful personalities, the days when war-horses like Mendy Rudolph, Norm Drucker, and a younger Earl Strom were called the father, the son, and the holy ghost.—Roy Firestone, sports commentator
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 11:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If he took off his jersey on the court during play, there is no question it was a good T. Idiot should have known better.

Further more, if he “made a show” of doing it, it was probably intended as a taunt, as in, “Game over, may as well go home.”

Unless I was there, I would not be willing to call this “extreme.”
Do not give a damn!!

This is clearly a technical foul by interpretation. Rule 10-3-7h.

This was added about 3 years ago.

Peace
Official Forum Member

Definitely need to know more without passing any judgment on anyone.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 12:05pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If he took off his jersey on the court during play, there is no question it was a good T. Idiot should have known better.
Absolutely concur!

And this person will go down in school history as the one who "lost a big game" by doing something stupid and unsporting! He earned it!
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Absolutely concur!

And this person will go down in school history as the one who "lost a big game" by doing something stupid and unsporting! He earned it!
yeah I agree 100% with you

I asked for some clarification of the situation on the other board. I am familiar with the rule cited in this thread, we actually had a circumstance this season where we enforced it but it didnt play a direct part in deciding the outcome of the game

still for a playoff game to end on this is pretty amazing to say the least
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 12:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Absolutely concur!

Nah, they'll blame the refs for making the call.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Art. 7... Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as:
h. Removing the jersey and/or pants/skirt within the visual confines of the playing area.

The rule says REMOVING the jersey. According to the OP, he said the player untucked and ATTEMPTED to remove it. Never says the jersey actually came off.

Personally, I'd be hard pressed to ring this one up unless the jersey actually came off. It's really one of those "had to be there" situations.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

This was added about 3 years ago.

Peace

Agreed. I don't like this rule, but it is a rule and the player should know better. Nice job by the crew for having the stones to call it correctly in a big game.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 02:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wonder, again, if this wasn't a blatant example of taunting, making the call that much easier.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my books with me, but I thought the change a couple of years ago was to take the judgement out of this situation and make it a T any time they untuck their jerseys in the visual confines. Can someone post the entre rule?
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 03:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Can someone post the entre rule?
You're in the wrong place for that, teacherman. You'll need to check with Miss Manners' discussion board.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

some clarification from the New Orleans Times-Picayune website fourms:

Quote:
Albany fouled Carmouche of McMain with 0.1 sec left in the game and McMain up by 1 point. Number 20 of McMain pulled his jersey over his head celebrating the victory and got the technical foul. So Carmouche of McMain still got to shoot two free throws up one, and he missed them both. Then Albany got to shoot the technical free throws and hit one of two thus sending the game into overtime. Now if Carmouche of McMain would have hit his free throws we wouldn't be talking bout this and Mcmain would have won.
Quote:
I totally agree with you it was an obvious call. The kid from Mcmain was celebrating the win he thought they had, at that moment. You cant blame the McMain coach for that though, that was just a kid's emotions taking over. It was the right call, but like I said in the earlier post. If McMain's #14 hit his free throws with 0.1 secs left we are not even debating this.