The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

You've got some great suggestions already. I would add that I'm always impressed with younger officials that ask questions. Don't be afraid to pick the brains of the veterans you're working with. When I was taught, I was told to "work my area, have good mechanics, a strong whistle, and don't take any "stuff" from coaches." edited for language.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
You've got some great suggestions already. I would add that I'm always impressed with younger officials that ask questions. Don't be afraid to pick the brains of the veterans you're working with. When I was taught, I was told to "work my area, have good mechanics, a strong whistle, and don't take any "stuff" from coaches." edited for language.
Your post reminded me of my feeder games a few weeks back. I was working with an official who I had more experience than. He brought up a question when I stopped clock for an injury, which led to nothing but situations and ruling questions that we asked each other over the course of 3 games. I have very few partners who like to do this. I love to learn, and always encourage this dialogue. We both benefitted. I'm not a new official, but have no ego asking another official a rules question that I'm unsure of.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Many great advices were given in the previous posts. I'd say if a "veteran" official gives you advice, no matter what they say (even if you completely disagree and know they are full of s*it), just knock your head and say yes. Kind of like going to a camp and when an evaluator/observer tells you something, don't be a smart a$$ and question them. As a new official, the worst thing you want is for others to talk behind your back. This business is too political and if you just keep your mouth shut, take the games your assignors offer you and do the right things, then good thing WILL come to you.

Last edited by Mwanr1; Mon Feb 25, 2008 at 05:04pm.