The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Moving towards the foul

I'm in my 5th year as an official. The last two years I have worked high school varsity, and this year I also worked some women's college (D-3 & Juco).

I have obtained DVDs of 3 games (1 high school and 2 college) with two more games expected soon. Watching the games is a great way to see what you need to work on (and it's also a little humbling, too). One of the big things I want to work on is to move towards the foul when calling from the trail and sometimes the center.

When I see myself on the DVD calling from the trail when the play is away from me (although still in my primary), I think I look like I'm too far away from the foul. I've worked with a number of officials who move towards their calls and I think it looks great (it helps sell the call).

I have tried to work on this in my games for the last couple weeks, but I find myself immersed in the game and I forget about moving. I will work on this in the spring before camps (and after camps, too). Does anyone have any suggestions to help me make this a habit? I'll appreciate any suggestions you might have.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg144
I'm in my 5th year as an official. The last two years I have worked high school varsity, and this year I also worked some women's college (D-3 & Juco).

I have obtained DVDs of 3 games (1 high school and 2 college) with two more games expected soon. Watching the games is a great way to see what you need to work on (and it's also a little humbling, too). One of the big things I want to work on is to move towards the foul when calling from the trail and sometimes the center.

When I see myself on the DVD calling from the trail when the play is away from me (although still in my primary), I think I look like I'm too far away from the foul. I've worked with a number of officials who move towards their calls and I think it looks great (it helps sell the call).

I have tried to work on this in my games for the last couple weeks, but I find myself immersed in the game and I forget about moving. I will work on this in the spring before camps (and after camps, too). Does anyone have any suggestions to help me make this a habit? I'll appreciate any suggestions you might have.
If the play is moving away from you as T, it is leaving your primary. L should be taking strong-side blocks/charges. However, you should be moving as well on these plays to keep your angle/view. If your body is in motion, it is a lot easier to continue your motion to close on the call should you hit the whistle.

The only time I will close on a call from the T is on a transition play, or on the opposite block when the C gets straightlined. I'll also close from the C when I need to go help on the strong-side onf the key. If I feel the need to close on other calls, then I am not being physically active enough.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps you're just too deep to begin with.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg144
What you want to do is train your body to do this automatically so you don't have to think about it. Do this by "practicing" in front of a game on TV, either one of yours, one another NCAA game. Stand on the floor as though you're reffing, and when you see a foul, blow your whistle, signal AND STEP TOWARD the TV. Your body will become habituated to stepping toward the action on your own whistle.