View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg144
I'm in my 5th year as an official. The last two years I have worked high school varsity, and this year I also worked some women's college (D-3 & Juco).

I have obtained DVDs of 3 games (1 high school and 2 college) with two more games expected soon. Watching the games is a great way to see what you need to work on (and it's also a little humbling, too). One of the big things I want to work on is to move towards the foul when calling from the trail and sometimes the center.

When I see myself on the DVD calling from the trail when the play is away from me (although still in my primary), I think I look like I'm too far away from the foul. I've worked with a number of officials who move towards their calls and I think it looks great (it helps sell the call).

I have tried to work on this in my games for the last couple weeks, but I find myself immersed in the game and I forget about moving. I will work on this in the spring before camps (and after camps, too). Does anyone have any suggestions to help me make this a habit? I'll appreciate any suggestions you might have.
If the play is moving away from you as T, it is leaving your primary. L should be taking strong-side blocks/charges. However, you should be moving as well on these plays to keep your angle/view. If your body is in motion, it is a lot easier to continue your motion to close on the call should you hit the whistle.

The only time I will close on a call from the T is on a transition play, or on the opposite block when the C gets straightlined. I'll also close from the C when I need to go help on the strong-side onf the key. If I feel the need to close on other calls, then I am not being physically active enough.