The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Saw a nasty Intentional.

Wasn't a game I was officiating, I was waiting for my games to start.

Cross town 8th grade travel game. Very heated. Gold bringing the ball up on a break away... #25 Green runs wide and flys across the courth and WHAM!! a 2 forarm shiver right into the side of the Gold player with the ball. Both Officials immediatly signal Intentional, and the funniest part is that the green coach asks why... and then the green and gold coach start screaming at each other. I just shook my head.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 04:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Sounds flagrant. Did they call it that way or "just" intentional? BTW - I'm sure I've had that green coach in every game this year.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Sounds flagrant. Did they call it that way or "just" intentional? BTW - I'm sure I've had that green coach in every game this year.

They called it intentional. Not flagrant. Player remained in the game.

They probably just saw the end result and didn't see him "winding up" across the court. 2 man mechanics, and it was right where center would be in a 3 man crew so....

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 04:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
They called it intentional. Not flagrant. Player remained in the game.

They probably just saw the end result and didn't see him "winding up" across the court. 2 man mechanics, and it was right where center would be in a 3 man crew so....
I do not think that matters, it is an 8th grade game. You have to realize that the officials are not likely the most knowledgeable or experienced and neither is everyone else participating. I do not think having 3 officials would have made much difference.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 04:58pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

About three years ago, Daryl and I had a men's coll. JV (Div. III schools involved) and we had the same type of play. The defender was gone for the rest of the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wasn't a game I was officiating, I was waiting for my games to start.

Cross town 8th grade travel game. Very heated. Gold bringing the ball up on a break away... #25 Green runs wide and flys across the courth and WHAM!! a 2 forarm shiver right into the side of the Gold player with the ball. Both Officials immediatly signal Intentional, and the funniest part is that the green coach asks why... and then the green and gold coach start screaming at each other. I just shook my head.
Are you sure it was #25?
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Mike...Are you up near Chi-town? Have you ever officiated for a 7th/8th grade (Travel/AAU) team called the Illanova Wildcats? They have a nice team and it's a program that several Univ of Illinois players and a few Univ. of Villanova players played for as youth. Currently they have the son of Everett Stephens who used to play for Purdue....Kid has a silky jumper.

Had them at a tournament here in Indy about a month or two ago...
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 12:48am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not think that matters, it is an 8th grade game. You have to realize that the officials are not likely the most knowledgeable or experienced and neither is everyone else participating. I do not think having 3 officials would have made much difference.

Peace
Quite a supposition. Also, the guys calling the game may have had a "college and above" mentality,so they were concerned about disqualifying one of the "stars."

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 02:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Quite a supposition. Also, the guys calling the game may have had a "college and above" mentality,so they were concerned about disqualifying one of the "stars."
Still trying to debate a fight you will never understand. And by the way, the things we talked about weeks ago had nothing to do with college at all. Then again, that is why you are just another ref.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Are you sure it was #25?

ABSOLUTELY!!! I remember that cause I was soooo shocked he was still in the game.

Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Hey Mike...Are you up near Chi-town? Have you ever officiated for a 7th/8th grade (Travel/AAU) team called the Illanova Wildcats? They have a nice team and it's a program that several Univ of Illinois players and a few Univ. of Villanova players played for as youth. Currently they have the son of Everett Stephens who used to play for Purdue....Kid has a silky jumper.

Had them at a tournament here in Indy about a month or two ago...
Nope... I'm in the Northern Burbs. Lake county. I've done a few of Zion Bentons Feeder teams though.. and those kids can really ball. You will be hearing from them in a few years. That you can be sure of.

Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY!!! I remember that cause I was soooo shocked he was still in the game.
I was yanking your lanyard.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I was yanking your lanyard.

Thats the most action I've gotten in a while..

Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 02:31pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Still trying to debate a fight you will never understand. And by the way, the things we talked about weeks ago had nothing to do with college at all. Then again, that is why you are just another ref.

Peace
What I don't understand in this case is why you would automatically assume that guys know less than you simply because they are calling an 8th grade game. It could have been two semi-retired former state finals officials who only call locally now on a fill in basis.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 02:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
What I don't understand in this case is why you would automatically assume that guys know less than you simply because they are calling an 8th grade game. It could have been two semi-retired former state finals officials who only call locally now on a fill in basis.
For one I did not say anything about me. I did not even compare the officials to me at all.

Secondly, this is from my area. Chances are that I know a little bit more about what goes on around here than you do.

There are not very many experienced officials that are working a lot of JH basketball. There are exceptions, but most officials that would regularly work varsity or college, do not have time to work JH ball. It is a numbers game. And we are in the playoff season here, even less opportunity to get experienced officials to work games. And that is why I said "You have to realize that the officials are not likely the most knowledgeable or experienced and neither is everyone else participating."

Peace