The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Timing of Foul

This came up last week at a high school game (KY). Team taking ball out of bounds from far end, 1.5 seconds left, down 2. Player throws up a prayer (and misses) from half court, just a split second before the clock sounds. The referee raises hand and blows whistle to call a shooting foul, but then waves it off. He explained to the coach that although the contact occurred prior to expiration of time, the whistle blew after the clock reached 0.00. So, no foul shots.

Was that the correct interpretation?
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 03:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbuddy
Was that the correct interpretation?
As described, no it wasn't.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 03:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

In a word, no. The foul occurred during the game. What possible justification could he have for not administering it since the free throws could have an effect on the final score.

This guy needs a refresher course in not being stupid.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised you left out the part where the referee was torn to shreds by irate coaches and fans as he tried to make his way back to the locker room. Seriously, everybody must've been all over him as he left.

Ouch, he was way wrong. And in a close game that could've affected the outcome. I wonder if their particular league allows a game protest for this type of situation? And while we're assessing blame, where was his partner during all this? Surely 1 of those 2 had some common sense enough to know to shoot the free throws?

"The whistle blew after the clock reached 0"?!? That sounds like an argument a coach would try to make to an official...not the other way around.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Did he really think it was a foul? If not, sounds to me he should have fessed up...

"Coach, I blew my whistle in anticipation of a foul, but realized that the contact was incidental. I hate myself for it, and you have a right to be upset, but no way was that a foul."

...then get to the locker room and call your assignor before the coach does!
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Sadly not correct. The foul occurred before the expiration of time; the timing of the whistle is irrelevant.

And first off, the clocking showing zero does not end the period. NFHS 5-6-2: "Art. 2... Each quarter or extra period ends when the signal sounds indicating time has expired."

But, more important is this note attached to that rule: "3. If a foul occurs so near the expiration of time that the timer cannot get the clock stopped before time expires or after time expires, but while the ball is in flight during a try or tap for field goal. The quarter or extra period ends when the free throw(s) and all related activity have been completed. No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next. No free throw(s) shall be attempted after time has expired for the fourth quarter or any extra period, unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game."
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 01:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

??????

My rule book is packed in my bag in the car downstairs in the cold garage, so please give me some slack:

It looks like, what we have here is foul, horn, whistle, in that order.

By rule, doesn't the ball become dead when the foul occurs, not when the whistle is sounded to stop the clock for the foul?

By rule, doesn't the foul occur when it occurs, not when the whistle is sounded to stop the clock for the foul?
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 01:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac

It looks like, what we have here is foul, horn, whistle, in that order.

By rule, doesn't the ball become dead when the foul occurs, not when the whistle is sounded to stop the clock for the foul?

By rule, doesn't the foul occur when it occurs, not when the whistle is sounded to stop the clock for the foul?
Billy, you can also have foul, whistle, horn in that order without putting time back on the clock. The whistle is actually irrelevant. You go by foul/immediate horn.

BITS gave you the relevant rules citations. Also see case book 5.6.2SitG.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 02:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Whistle ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
The whistle is actually irrelevant.
Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear.