The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to TxBktball03
Question

I've been toying with the idea of joining the officials' ranks most of my life. As a young child, I wanted to be an umpire more than anything. Now, basketball is the sport I have a passion for. I work with a women's basketball team and have gotten a great understanding of the rules and concepts. Here's my question for you all:

I'm starting from scratch. Where do I find comprehensive, not-to-hard-to-understand rule books? Officials Manuals? I'm a book worm and if I can get my hands on some good manuals, it will do a great deal to prepare me to go out and join an association and prepare for the examination and all those other steps.

What other things are there for a 100% novice to do? I'm currently running everyday to work off my big ol' gut. While I'm still hefty-looking, I am having a great deal of success running and am gaining more stamina and endurance daily.

Thanks in advance!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Order your books for http://www.nfhs.org.

Read this discussion forum daily.

Good luck!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 02:04am
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

I've said it before, but here it is again. Get a tape recorder. Go down to the zoo and record an hour of screeching from the howler monkey cage. Go home, lock yourself in a closet, play the tape at full volume on a continuous loop for two hours while running in place.

If, after that, you still want to be a basketball official, get a prescription for Valium - then take it!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

How about the NFHS vidoes?

Can any one comment on the three NFHS videos related to basketball rules? I've been pushing my local youth sports association to purchase them to help raise the level of volunteer officiating within our leagues.
Also, taping or Tivo-ing college ball, and then replaying, is a great learning tool for officials and coaches.
EG
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
The NCAA has all their rules/mechanics/interpretations
and bulletins on line, check it out for reading material.
As for refereeing, contact any kids rec league, tell them
you want some games and go do it. That's the only way to
learn. Have fun.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

View: http://start.officiating.com/

Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

a) Learn the rules
There's nothing like getting the information from the horse's mouth. There are three typical publications most officials use to prepare for public school, recreation league, and most private school contests. They are published by the National Federation of State High School Associations ((NFHS) See BBREF's post for the link. The site is down this morning...)
NFHS Rules Book
NFHS Case Book
NFHS Official's Manual
Read the Rules Book cover to cover then read it again. Memorize the correctable errors, then memorize the rest of the book. OK, memorize is too strong a word. Be very familiar with it but memorize the correctable errors.

b)Learn body mechanics
Somewhere in the back of the rules book, there is a page showing the exact body and arm positions and movement when calling various violations and fouls. Get a Fox40 mini whistle ($5), some hearing protection, a big mirror, and a little privacy. Practice the pictures EXACTLY trying to mimic angle of arms down to finger placement. Get used to blowing the whistle one short, very LOUD "tweet" then do the arm mechanics. This is what people see - not the mental part. Practice here will keep some of the pressure off while you learn what to do on the court.

c) Learn two man mechanics
Get an idea of how two referees cover the court. The court is divided into different areas of responsibility. Each referee has his area to officiate. The official's manual does a good job explaining where you are supposed to be and what areas you have responsibility.

d) Most importantly and many will echo this idea, get on the floor! Texas has loads of basketball. Contact that association you mentioned and have them turn you on to a rec league. If you are in a metro area, your city rec department may have youth and adult leagues and may even be willing to help you get started. The most they can do is yell at you and make you feel about 2" tall but that will pass. Once you get past the initial shock of starting out, you will learn to love it as much as we do.

As for publications, I haven't seen an "Officiating for Dummies" book. Maybe MP here will get working on that for us. You can bet there will be a howler monkey on the cover!

BTW - I can't say whether the videos will help. The ones I saw several years ago would not have been of much use to a beginner.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 01:43pm
Administrator

Contact Steven Ellinger, Interpreter and Secretary/Treasurer, IAABO's Houston Bd. 205 at [email protected]. Steve can and will get you started in the right direction to become a basketball official. Please feel free to use my name, I belong to IAABO Bd. 55 and serve on several IAABO national committees with Steve.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: How about the NFHS vidoes?

Quote:
Originally posted by egausch
Can any one comment on the three NFHS videos related to basketball rules? I've been pushing my local youth sports association to purchase them to help raise the level of volunteer officiating within our leagues.
Also, taping or Tivo-ing college ball, and then replaying, is a great learning tool for officials and coaches.
EG
Yes, spend the money and get them. Giving someone a rules book is fine and good but until they see the situation it is generally not all that clear. (Whew!) Also spend the money on casebooks. Again something that gives substance to the dry words.

I am not to hot on the idea of a rookie taping a college game. As we have seen on this board, there is a different mindset in college. Also NEVER tape the sound of the program because of the bad calls by the announcers.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, spend the money and get them. Giving someone a rules book is fine and good but until they see the situation it is generally not all that clear.
(Whew!) Also spend the money on casebooks. Again something that gives substance to the dry words.

As a coach, I've been buying the NFHS rules and case book, each year. It's been my experience and I'm sure the same for others, that the rules alone can be misinterpreted. The case book helps to provide a second view. There also used to be another book. I think it was a simplified rules book. I found this book to be extremely confusing.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert

d) Most importantly and many will echo this idea, get on the floor! [/B]
That would be my advice as well. Take any and all games you can. Don't think that any level, i.e. elementary games, are beneath you. They are excellent opportunies to learn mechanics and get comfortable being on the floor.

Also, find an experienced ref that you can work with and learn everything you can from him/her. If you are willing to learn and have a teachable demeanor, the veterans will help you tremendously.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question

tharbert,
are you mentioning the hearing protection for use in front of the mirror
Ron
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

in addition to all of that great information, go to games, talk with more expierenced officials (maybe even sit for some of their pre-game conferences), get a mentor, and when working on mechanics, practice them in the mirror! Also, attend a camp! Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of officiating!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 08:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert

As for publications, I haven't seen an "Officiating for Dummies" book. Maybe MP here will get working on that for us. You can bet there will be a howler monkey on the cover!
Actually, I have published on this board the "Howler Monkey to English" Dictionary. It had listings like:

HM: "Call it both ways"
English: "Call it my way"

I'm now working on the "Cliff's Notes Version of The Idiots Guide to Coaching For Dummies". Of course, the "big print" version with lots of pictures will probably sell the best.

And yes - there will be a centerfold of the Howler Monkey Emperor, Bobby Knight, in a Speedo.

Feel free to use it as a dartboard.

Use big darts.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
TxBBallref,

Email me and I will give you all the info you need, including the phone number of the chapter secretary here, where there are summer camps for beginners, and which subvarsity assignors you will need to work with next season.

Depending on where you are, they may be some summer league games that you could cut your teeth on.