The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting Play in Iowa Game

Don't know if anybody else seen or noticed the sideline play in the Iowa game tonight. Heres the play...

Michigan player tips the ball up into the air where the ball goes up in the air OOB toward the Iowa bench @ Around the 28' line, where Iowa HC who is clearly OOB and in his box catches the ball as a Michigan player is trying to save the ball, but couldn't due to the catch by the HC.

Trail official point's @ the Iowa HC & gives the ball back to Michigan I assume because there was a chance that the Michigan player could've saved the ball but couldn't because it was caught by the Iowa HC.

Anybody else catch this play?
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 10:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

No, but interesting ruling!
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 12:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
Don't know if anybody else seen or noticed the sideline play in the Iowa game tonight. Heres the play...

Michigan player tips the ball up into the air where the ball goes up in the air OOB toward the Iowa bench @ Around the 28' line, where Iowa HC who is clearly OOB and in his box catches the ball as a Michigan player is trying to save the ball, but couldn't due to the catch by the HC.

Trail official point's @ the Iowa HC & gives the ball back to Michigan I assume because there was a chance that the Michigan player could've saved the ball but couldn't because it was caught by the Iowa HC.

Didn't see it, but had same play last season in a scrimmage. Defending state champs were playing at my son's HS and I stopped by to check it out. Turns out that one ref didn't show up so I grab my stuff and join the 4-man rotation.

Local school deflects a pass and it's headed towards visiting teams bench. If A1 retrieves the ball he will have a teammate available for a break-away lay-up. Ball is in the air and just as it crosses sideline, and before A1 can grab it, visiting coach grabs the ball.

I posed the situation to this forum and most said there was nothing to do but call ball OOB and give it back to visitors.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Feb 15, 2008 at 10:27am.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I saw the play. I believe he gave the HC a delay warning, and then gave the ball back to Michigan.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Question

Is there ANY rule in NFHS or NCAA which states players, fans, or coaches MUST not touch a ball that has passed over the OOB boundary line?
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The exact same play happened in my college game on Wednesday. Of course, I didn't give the ball back to the team that had just turned it over.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official
Is there ANY rule in NFHS or NCAA which states players, fans, or coaches MUST not touch a ball that has passed over the OOB boundary line?
No there is not. The only call other than OOB which could be supported by rule is an unsporting technical foul on the HC and that falls under the discretion of the official.