The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
The issue of government funding is very simple. Any, and all money an entity gets for the government comes with a laundry list of rules and regultations. One of those is that, THAT money cannot be used in a way that is discriminatory in any way.

This also works for companies that work with government contracts -- like defense contractors and what not. IF you rely on government money to run an organization then you HAVE to adhere to their standards or risk losing the funding.

As to calling these bozos kooks, it is perfectly acceptable practice to reference anyone who still discriminates based on gender, sex, race, ethnicity, etc. a kook. However, taking them to court to get what's yours is not going to change them. What should be done is remove the children from that environment and allow them to experience a world where they are allowed to equally hate anyone they want based on their biases and prejudices, as opposed to their parents and teachers.
Call them whatever you want. They have a set of beliefs that they adhere to, they don't consider it "hate" and the parents that send their kids there accept that. If you don't like it, don't work there or don't send your kids there.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Kudos to the other 2 officials who walked off the court with her.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 10:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo21
Call them whatever you want. They have a set of beliefs that they adhere to, they don't consider it "hate" and the parents that send their kids there accept that. If you don't like it, don't work there or don't send your kids there.
Believe me, I'd never, ever dream of working there or ever letting my kids go there.

The Klu Klux Klan has a set of beliefs that their members adhere to also.

Who's running the place? Father Torquemada?
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Just a note here on verbal contracts. If there is consideration tendered by both parties then there is a valid enforceable contract. In other words, Party A says "I'll pay you $35 to officiate" and you agree to officiate, then you have a contract, whether it's written or not. Whether a contract has been broken or not is up to the courts to decide.

Source: Judge Judy, of course.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo21
Adolf Hitler and a bunch-o-people called the nazi's had what you would call a set of beliefs that they adhered to. And like you say, they didnt consider it "hate", and many parents accepted it and so did many kids, and adults. I dont think just NOT sending your kids there is enough.

This is not about whos flying sphagehitti monster is right or wrong, but open discrimination. No matter what your beliefs there are basic rights and wrongs that *should* be recognized by all groups. This one, apparently, is wrong.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Sheesh...this is what they teach these kids? That a woman can't be an authority figure? theri mothers must love that concept. What about an adult having authority over a child? Doesn't that trump the gender issue?

This is Kansas, though, the land of Creationism as public policy.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

There is a certain officials association here in IL. I will not list them. Rumor has it they will not let in any members who are of african american decent. This is a very eleite organization.

The joke is they are the "white coats"

Its not funny what they do though. If true... Its just sad.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.

Last edited by Bearfanmike20; Thu Feb 14, 2008 at 11:45am.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
There is a certain officials association here in IL. I will not list them. Rumor has it they will not let in any members who are of african american decent. This is a very eleite organization.

Its not funny what they do though. Its just sad.

Let me say the I feel all African Americans are decent.

If you're referring the the association that wears white jackets you're mistaken.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Let me say the I feel all African Americans are decent.

If you're referring the the association that wears white jackets you're mistaken.
Like I said... its a rumor. I hence why I'm not pointing out who, but I've heard of a few situations now that were..... disturbing. I will also say that these situations happened a while ago so...

As I said.. rumor, but if true.. very disappointing.

Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20

Its not funny what they do though. If true... Its just sad.
Many people might have many things to say about that group, but your impression is incorrect. There is currently more than one African-American in that organization.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Many people might have many things to say about that group, but your impression is incorrect. There is currently more than one African-American in that organization.

Peace

I'm glad to hear it... all I've heard are bad things. Thanks you for enlightening me.

Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Believe me, I'd never, ever dream of working there or ever letting my kids go there.

The Klu Klux Klan has a set of beliefs that their members adhere to also.

Who's running the place? Father Torquemada?
And, in America, the KKK has the right to be an organization and hold to those beliefs just as this school does (minus gov't funding) no matter what you think about those beliefs.

If the roles were reversed, say they didn't allow men to be in positions of authority over women and banned men officials, well, let it be what it is. I guess I wouldn't get any assignments there.

I don't have a problem working with women officials or seeing them work at any school but I'm not in charge of this school and believe the greater good is served to allow them to decide (as a private school) what they allow and what they don't. Apparently you don't, which is your right.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
There you go again. Trying to tell everybody how to post. You're cut from the same mold as the people who run that school.

Feel free to mind your own damn business and not ours.
Jurassic, this is now the second time you have suggested that I "mind [my] own damn business." I don't see how or why an appeal for us to refrain from name calling would be bothersome to you, but even if you disagree with my point, why is in inappropriate for me to express my opinion?

I'm cut from the same mold as people who believe women should not have positions of authority over boys because I think it's important to treat people with civility and because I don't like name calling?
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
Adolf Hitler and a bunch-o-people called the nazi's had what you would call a set of beliefs that they adhered to. And like you say, they didnt consider it "hate", and many parents accepted it and so did many kids, and adults. I dont think just NOT sending your kids there is enough.

This is not about whos flying sphagehitti monster is right or wrong, but open discrimination. No matter what your beliefs there are basic rights and wrongs that *should* be recognized by all groups. This one, apparently, is wrong.
Ah, the obligatory Hitler reference. I'm sure St. Mary's is spawning the next Adolph himself.

It is not open discrimination to them according to their beliefs. And, as a private organization, they make the rules in that case. I believe the First Amendment as freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion but I realize not all hold that interpretation. If the court wants to intervene in this case and settle that interpretation for this specific instance, send your money to the ACLU and they might take it up.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Nope

BearfanMike intoned:

" . . . wouldn't the fact that her name is michelle give it away before the game ever came close to starting??.."

Your "American Side" is showing.

I went to high school with Michelle Lau (Gender Male).

Regards,