The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Hi all. My name is Mike and I am a first year football official. I have joined the MBFO (Maryland Board of Football Officials) and my first meeting is next Monday. Does anyone have any words of advice?? I am extremely excited, yet can't help but having a bit of nervousness. I love the game of football and miss being around the sport.

Anyway, just know I will probably be posting a lot trying to soak up as much information as possible. Also, is there anyone who is from Maryland and currently an official?? Lastly, does anyone know of a good website to go to so that I can begin studying prior to my first meeting on the 25th??

Thanks everyone.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Hope this helps you out.

You are on a good website right here. There are a lot of plays discussed and situations you can learn from. Just always verify the information you read with the rulebook when it is a rules discussion. When it is a philosophy discussion, take what you hear for what it is worth. Most of what you are going to read here are from people all over the country and even from different associations in the same states. Not everyone is going to follow the procedures or philosophies that you will have to adhere to where you live.

If I were you, I would contact your local official's association and tell them you are brand new and they should give you the best advice. They know the policies of your area better than most of us would and they know about the mentoring programs and training that you can take advantage of.

I wish you the best and hope everything works out for you this season.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJDonaldson

Hi all. My name is Mike and I am a first year football official. I have joined the MBFO (Maryland Board of Football Officials) and my first meeting is next Monday. Does anyone have any words of advice?? I am extremely excited, yet can't help but having a bit of nervousness. I love the game of football and miss being around the sport.

Anyway, just know I will probably be posting a lot trying to soak up as much information as possible. Also, is there anyone who is from Maryland and currently an official?? Lastly, does anyone know of a good website to go to so that I can begin studying prior to my first meeting on the 25th??

Thanks everyone.
Welcome Mike! This is a great place to ask questions and learn. I think you will find a lot of people here who are willing to help.

Collective advice for a new person always seems to be read rule 2. Once you've done that, read rule 2 again. After the 2nd time, read rule 2 again. If you become extremely familiar with the definitions, you can better grasp the remaining rules.

The definitions have an exact and fixed meaning and those exact and fixed meanings apply throughout the rest of the rulebook when those defined terms are used again.

I also would recommend you try to work as many games as possible in your first year at whatever level you can get. The more snaps, the more things become clear.

Good luck and hoping you stick with this more than two years

Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Welcome Mike! You've come upon a great source for information. Ask away.

I'd suggest that you keep your eyes open. Work as much as you can at any level and try to work with different people. When you find some good officials, talk to them. I think you'll find that most are willing to help out.

Oh yeah, study rule 2.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Jeff is correct that different parts of the country may do things differently, and that everything you hear should be validated with your local authority. However, here is a list of recommendations that pretty much transcends geography. It was compiled by Mike Buck from Texas. Some really good advice here...

POINTS TO PONDER
compiled by Mike Buck, Texas Association of Sports Officials

1. Player safety is your number one concernÂ…after your own
2. Make the tough call
3. DonÂ’t get emotionally involved
4. If you look like an official, you will perform like one
5. Count the players
6. Correct obvious errors
7. See leather
8. Know the down and distance
9. Sell the call but never over-officiate
10. Call what you see and see what you call
11. Don’t guess – know
12. If two officials are marking the spot one could be doing something else
13. Let the mind digest what the eye has seen
14. What efect does it have on the play?
15. ItÂ’s what you learn after you know it all that counts
16. DonÂ’t get trapped insideÂ…. Stay wide
17. DonÂ’t get beat deep
18. Continue to officiate after throwing the flag
19. 4th down, stop the clock
20. Take a second look
21. The three virtues of a good official are attitude, consistency, and competence
22. Be decisiveÂ…. Indecision gives the impression of uncertainty
23. If officials are close enough to touch each other, something is wrong
24. DonÂ’t get mad and donÂ’t get even
25. If the fans and coaches donÂ’t know your name or who worked the game, youÂ’ve had a good day
26. It is more important to get it right than to look good
27. Don’t dillydally – if you are going to get it wrong, it is better to get it wrong quickly than it is to get it wrong slowly
28. False pride has no place in officiatingÂ…youÂ’re only as good as your next call

Welcome and best of luck. Maryland operates under National Federation rules. You might also want to join the Discussion Forum at the NFHS site: http://www.nfhs.org
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 07:42pm
tpaul

Mike, Welcome and best of luck. Everbody basicially covered it...
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, welcome.

This is my second full year of officiating and I have learned a tremendous amount from this website. The scenarios are real life and the advice is solid for the most part. The most important three things I've learned here.

#1) Learn rule #2.
#2) Learn to get in a good position at all times.
#3) Commit yourself to excellence.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Cool

welcome !!
usually good advice on this board and
a pretty good place for discussion----
I'm starting my 36th season and I attend
all our chapter training sessions that I can--
when you're on the game--do not go
"looking for fouls" and listen up on what
veteran officials call "preventative officiating" !!
enjoy---

btw-- our local association needs more new
officials !!
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

I agree with everything that has been said so far on this thread. The only things I would add are:

1. Find a Mentor. If you find a good Mentor, learn everything you can from him.
2. Open your ears, not your mouth.
3. Dont be afraid to ask dumb questions. We all have them from time to time. I have watched or played football most of my life and I thought I knew the game before I started officiating. However, when I started officiating, I realized I didnt know as much as I thought I did about the game.
4. Learn advantage/disadvantage. If you see a holding, PI (pass interference) and etc. Think to yourself before you call a penalty, did the player gain an advantage by committing the foul, or was the player that was fouled disadvantaged by that foul. Unless it is a safety issue, if you say no to those questions, you probably shouldnt throw a flag.
5. If it is a safety issue, always throw a flag if you see the foul. ie face mask, clipping, and etc.
6. REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN. WHEN THE GAME IS NO LONGER FUN...QUIT.

[Edited by bjudge on Jul 22nd, 2005 at 02:17 AM]
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

There's a list, much like Mr. Buck's (who I'm not sure can claim authorship of this list), here:
http://www.tech.port.ac.uk/staffweb/...s12/axioms.htm

This manual is written from an NCAA standpoint, so perhaps some of the "When in doubt principles" does not apply to NF ball.

The whole manual can be found here:
http://www.bafra.org/mechman12/index.htm
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

REPLY: So that's where Mike got that list!! I thought it was his.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

After studying rule # 2, study your position in your officials manual. There are differences in four and five man crews. Find a mentor that will teach you the keys to your position. Knowing your keys will make your game run smooth. Good luck
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJDonaldson

Thanks everyone.
MJDonaldson, I have a bunch of stuff I have shared with some other new officials. It is 2 emails with a bunch of attachments for each. If interested, email me at [email protected]

Welcome and have a great time on the board!