The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Backcourt violation per NCAA rules

Hey everybody,
1st post here--I have a question for everyone. I was officiating a men's league game--using NCAA rules and had a disagreement with another official. Team A had the ball in their front court and A1 attempted to make a pass to A2 who was in the backcourt. A2 left his feet while the ball was in the air and landed in the frontcourt, established himself with both feet and then caught the ball from A1, who again, was already in the frontcourt. The official I was working with called it a backcourt violation stating that "since A2 jumped in the air after the ball was already in the air, that it was a violation." I told him that my understanding of the rule was that as long as A2 established himself in the frontcourt with both feet before catching the ball, it didn't matter when he left his feet and therefore should not have been a violation.

Can anyone offer their expertise on this matter?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmarsh12
Hey everybody,
1st post here--I have a question for everyone. I was officiating a men's league game--using NCAA rules and had a disagreement with another official. Team A had the ball in their front court and A1 attempted to make a pass to A2 who was in the backcourt. A2 left his feet while the ball was in the air and landed in the frontcourt, established himself with both feet and then caught the ball from A1, who again, was already in the frontcourt. The official I was working with called it a backcourt violation stating that "since A2 jumped in the air after the ball was already in the air, that it was a violation." I told him that my understanding of the rule was that as long as A2 established himself in the frontcourt with both feet before catching the ball, it didn't matter when he left his feet and therefore should not have been a violation.

Can anyone offer their expertise on this matter?
you are right -- no bc violation here - at least in High school rules. Not so sure about college, but most high school and college is the same.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
You're right he's wrong
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:16pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
You're right he's wrong
Does NCAA require both feet ?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I've never seen a player with 1 foot but I do not believe this is prohibitted by rule or policy.

(I almost said a 1 foot player but wanted to save Chuck the agony of JR's obvious response.)
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
No!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

re: feet

In this case, A2 had both feet anyway---the other official's concern was that A2 jumped in the air after the ball was in the air--and he swore this was the rule. That would require the back official to know when the ball left A1's hands and when A2 left his feet----too much for him to see. Not sure where he came up with this idea---but I'm glad you guys have helped to clarify. Does anyone know of a link that might clarify as well or something I can print off?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 05:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I've never seen a player with 1 foot but I do not believe this is prohibitted by rule or policy.

(I almost said a 1 foot player but wanted to save Chuck the agony of JR's obvious response.)
Too late.....
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 05:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmarsh12
In this case, A2 had both feet anyway---the other official's concern was that A2 jumped in the air after the ball was in the air--and he swore this was the rule. That would require the back official to know when the ball left A1's hands and when A2 left his feet----too much for him to see. Not sure where he came up with this idea---but I'm glad you guys have helped to clarify. Does anyone know of a link that might clarify as well or something I can print off?
Finding a justification for a misinterpretation by an official is very difficult, whether the official swore, yelled, or just talked loudly.

The rules do not tell us all the things that are legal; they tell us some legal things and all the things that are not legal.

If you take a look at Rules 4-4-1 thru 7 and Case 4.4.1 Situation, you can see the ball in your case was never considered to be in the backcourt.