The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Referee ≠ homer

BV game last night. I guess the V coach brought along his paranoia.

3rd quarter, I call a team control foul on his big guy. The player hooked his defender to keep him on his hip to ensure he was open for an entry pass. Easy call. V coach didn't see the hook and doesn't like the call. I explained it to him briefly, but he still doesn't like it. C'est la vie.

I report the foul, and as I start to head down the floor I very clearly hear the V coach say, "We're in the wrong part of the state."

Easiest coach T I've had all season.

In typical idiot coach fashion, he goes berserk, yelling at me, "What the hell did I say to you?" I guess he's one of those intellectuals that believes I can only T him if he uses a magic word from the approved list directly to me.

Anyway, his assistant quickly got him under control and we had no more problems with him the rest of the night.

V team came from behind to win the game. In the last two minutes, while H is trying hard to regain the lead, I called an illegal screen on H and a minute later an intentional on H.

So, I wonder....on the bus ride home, was that class act of a V coach still whining about getting homered? Or did he ever realize that he was getting a fair shake? My money is on the former
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 01:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
BV game last night. I guess the V coach brought along his paranoia.

3rd quarter, I call a team control foul on his big guy. The player hooked his defender to keep him on his hip to ensure he was open for an entry pass. Easy call. V coach didn't see the hook and doesn't like the call. I explained it to him briefly, but he still doesn't like it. C'est la vie.

I report the foul, and as I start to head down the floor I very clearly hear the V coach say, "We're in the wrong part of the state."

In typical idiot coach fashion, he goes berserk, yelling at me, "What the hell did I say to you?" I guess he's one of those intellectuals that believes I can only T him if he uses a magic word from the approved list directly to me.

Anyway, his assistant quickly got him under control and we had no more problems with him the rest of the night.

V team came from behind to win the game. In the last two minutes, while H is trying hard to regain the lead, I called an illegal screen on H and a minute later an intentional on H.

So, I wonder....on the bus ride home, was that class act of a V coach still whining about getting homered? Or did he ever realize that he was getting a fair shake? My money is on the former
He's one of those people that thinks he can say something to an assistant loudly enough for you to hear and then use the line "I wasn't talking to you" when you TCB. In other words, an idiot.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
He's one of those people that thinks he can say something to an assistant loudly enough for you to hear and then use the line "I wasn't talking to you" when you TCB. In other words, an idiot coward.
Fixed your typo.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 09:14pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I've only had 2, but today was my second one. Ball goes out of bounds. My partner awards it to visitors. I go to administer the throw-in in front of home bench. Home coach says to my partner (who is now in front of the visitors' bench), "He hit it right out of my guy's hand!"

Partner doesn't respond.

So as I'm chopping the clock as the throw-in is touched, he says, "You guys haven't gotten one right yet tonight".

I should've said, "Well, then you're really not gonna like this one. . ."

I didn't say that, but I did pull out the T.

Later in the half, the coach says to me, "I didn't even say anything to you to get that T." I repeated his comment to him verbatim.

He replies, "First of all, you shouldn't even be listening to that." LOL
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
"First of all, you shouldn't even be listening to that."
You've undoubtedly seen "The Rules," that email that goes around and purports to be a written copy of the unwritten rules that women hold men to (including my personal favorite, "If any man ever learns any of the rules, the woman must immediately change some of the rules.")

It seems that coaches have a similar list of rules that we officials are expected to adhere to, even though we don't know what they are.

Stoopid Monkies