The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Timer screw up, did I handle it right?

8 seconds left in the first half. H makes a free throw and V rolls the inbounds along the ground. V coach hollers about the time and I look up at the clock to see that it's down to 6 seconds. No player on the floor has touched the ball yet.

I whistled the play dead, instructed the timer to put 8 seconds on the clock (the clock didn't show tenths, only seconds), and then put the ball back in play with a throw-in at the spot nearest where the ball was when I blew it dead.

Did I handle this correctly?
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

BITS.

I have always favored the option you chose when the clock hasn't started and someone HAS touched the ball inbounds.

However, I don't think you have the option of taking some time off the clock and moving the inbounds spot up the court because it has not been touched yet. I think going back to the original spot is the only option here.

You did the right thing by hitting your whistle. If you don't blow it dead, the horn is going to go off early and screw everybody up.

Over the years, 99% of the last-second screw-ups I have seen have been due to the clock operator. That is why I usually take a few seconds to go to the table and remind the operator to watch for the chop in a situation like this. It makes them less likely to hose the crew.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 12:31pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I agree with the Z-man. Put back 8 seconds, and go back to point of original throw-in. Yes, it sucks, because B can now re-assess their decision about pressing. End-of-game plays like this can have an unintentional large impact on the game.

I also like Z's suggestion about reminding the table crew that in close games, their best way to finish the game is to get the timing correct.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 01:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
8 seconds left in the first half. H makes a free throw and V rolls the inbounds along the ground. V coach hollers about the time and I look up at the clock to see that it's down to 6 seconds. No player on the floor has touched the ball yet.

I whistled the play dead, instructed the timer to put 8 seconds on the clock (the clock didn't show tenths, only seconds), and then put the ball back in play with a throw-in at the spot nearest where the ball was when I blew it dead.

Did I handle this correctly?
No.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
No.
Here we go...this one is usually good for 4 or 5 pages.

(btw I agree with you)