View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent Whistle Question

I had my first inadvertent whistle Tuesday. For some unknown reason my whistle blew as a FT was being rebounded. It was the strangest thing--I had no mental intention to blow it, it just sounded. Wierd. Anyway, the defense had clear posession so we awarded it OB to them, no problem.

But that raises a question I've had about inadvertent whistles. Is that type of situation the only time it's acceptable? For example, I'm sure most of us have jumped a call or anticipated something and then looked for a hole in the floor to crawl into. Anyone ever hose a foul or violation call and know it immediately, then use the inadvertent whistle to bail on it?

I've jumped calls down low where I was anticipating (the wrong way) and wanted to rewind the game 10-seconds for a do-over. But my guess is if I raise a hand or fist it's not a good thing to then call it inadvertent; better to take the heat and admit a mistake. Yes?

Just looking for some insight on when an inadvertent is permissible.