The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Player ejected - adult supervision

Boys HS frosh. A1 gets his second T for an F-bomb. When he gets to the bench, he kicks the bleacher. Coach confronts him and then tells him to leave the gym. Coach walks him to the end of the gym, sends him out the door and tells him to go to the locker room. Coach then returns to the floor. No adults go with the player.

What responsibility (if any) do the officials have to make sure that the player has adult supervision?
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

someone correct me if i'm wrong but we have zero responsibility in that regard
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 10:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

How do you know no adults went with the player. Maybe there was someone outside the gym.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

At that point he is no longer part of the game. The school administration is now responsible. I believe adult supervision applies only to ejections in baseball.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

The only responsibility as officials is if a player is disqualified, WE do not send him outside the gym with no supervision, so we are not liable. If a coach sends the player to the locker room, that's his responsibility.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
You're right drizzle. Only time I might say something is if it is the visiting team, because its not there school or locker room. Unlike if its the home team , if the kid does get stupid, he's on his turf, easier to nail him on Monday or Wednesday (Assuming your HS games are on Tuesday and Friday)
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 12:46pm
Administrator

There are only two times when a disqualified player such as A1 should not remain on the team bench:

1) If his continued presence creates a problem to the playing of the game.

2) His Head Coach wants him in the team locker room.

In both cases, A1 must be accompanied to the team locker room and an adult must stay with A1 at all times.

While I commend A-HC for wanting A1 off the bench, in the absence of adult supervision, A1 must remain on Team A's bench. It is the responsibility of the officials to make sure that before A1 leaves the team bench that he will be accompanied by an adult and that Team A is aware of this requirement.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,

Do you have citation on this? I've found nothing that requires us to make certain that all bench personnel remain on the bench unless accompanied by an adult.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
There are only two times when a disqualified player such as A1 should not remain on the team bench:

1) If his continued presence creates a problem to the playing of the game.

2) His Head Coach wants him in the team locker room.

In both cases, A1 must be accompanied to the team locker room and an adult must stay with A1 at all times.

While I commend A-HC for wanting A1 off the bench, in the absence of adult supervision, A1 must remain on Team A's bench. It is the responsibility of the officials to make sure that before A1 leaves the team bench that he will be accompanied by an adult and that Team A is aware of this requirement.

MTD, Sr.
I disagree -- its the coach and admins responsibility to watch out for this kid. I wont kick him out of the gym, but if the coach chooses to do so, I wont invite him back.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
I disagree -- its the coach and admins responsibility to watch out for this kid. I wont kick him out of the gym, but if the coach chooses to do so, I wont invite him back.
Amen. Let's just make sure they don't send him to the officials' locker room.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I agree ith Mark T DeNucci, Sr and disagree with Deecee. JDW3018 yes there is a rule and casebook. Rule 10.3 Penalty Note and casebook is either 10.3 (casebook 2007-08) or 10.5 (casebook 2006-07).

This event happened to me in a GV game. Partner T'd a player 2X and then tossed her from the gym. I told him he was incorrect to toss her from the gym and he defiantly told me he was right BY RULE. After the game, he couldn't "find" the ruling. But the next day I did, 10.3 Pen Note and e-mailed both the rule and casebook text to him. He was apologetic and thankful for the information.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

flaref, I agree that we disqualify him to the bench rather than ejecting the team member from the gym.

However, if the coach then wents that player to go to the locker room - or any other player on the bench for that matter, I don't see how it's our responsibility to stop him.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaref0812
I agree ith Mark T DeNucci, Sr and disagree with Deecee. JDW3018 yes there is a rule and casebook. Rule 10.3 Penalty Note and casebook is either 10.3 (casebook 2007-08) or 10.5 (casebook 2006-07).

This event happened to me in a GV game. Partner T'd a player 2X and then tossed her from the gym. I told him he was incorrect to toss her from the gym and he defiantly told me he was right BY RULE. After the game, he couldn't "find" the ruling. But the next day I did, 10.3 Pen Note and e-mailed both the rule and casebook text to him. He was apologetic and thankful for the information.
You might have misread what I typed -- I wont kick the player out of the gym, however I cannot control the coach from kicking the player out of the gym. We don't do coaches jobs any more than we like coaches who try and do ours.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

i knew someone who was ejected and went out and started hitting cars. guess he needed an adult. but really not our problem
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 08:27pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
i knew someone who was ejected and went out and started hitting cars. guess he needed an adult. but really not our problem
...unless your car was hit.