The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Spot Throw-in

Team A throwing the ball in with just over 3 seconds remaining. It is on the baseline but is a spot throw in. B defender playing very agressively on the thrower but not crossing the vertical line in anyway. Ball is thrown away, game over. Coach is going nuts at me about the thrower being given 2 feet to throw the ball in?? What is he talking about. I know the defender can guard the baseline without crossing it. I guess he means I should have told his offensive player that he can back up (plenty of room behind him).

Could somebody pass on some help on spot throw in regarding the thrower and defensive player? Thank you.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 05:30pm
Never Stop Learning

If the inbounder has room to move back, the defense may go up to the in bound plane. No room is given, unless the inbounder has no room to move back. Not our job to tell them they can move back.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

I was told that as a "good official" I should. I do usually tell about running or not running the baseline. Should I be just as cognizant about telling the inbounder he can move back?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

That's why they make coaches, to teach players things like this.

You did nothing wrong.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 05:43pm
Never Stop Learning

I have no problem telling them they can run, or it is a spot throw-in, but at some point players and or coaches need to know what they are legally able to do on a throw-in.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhudson
I was told that as a "good official" I should. I do usually tell about running or not running the baseline. Should I be just as cognizant about telling the inbounder he can move back?
Absolutely right. Also, and I'm sure you're already well aware of this, you should get the other four teammates together just to remind them that if they get the ball, they can pass, dribble, shoot, request a time out, or simply hold the ball. Your partner, in the mean time, should be instructing the defense about their options. This is why we make the big bucks!
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 06:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
That's why they make coaches, to teach players things like this.
And that's why they made officials.....so coaches could blame their mistakes on us.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 08:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet.

Players should know this rule without us telling them. The most I'll do to help a player on an endline throwin is to say, "You have the whole line", while pointing down and swinging my arm back and forth parallel to the endline, or, "This is your designated spot", while pointing to the designated spot.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

You should have told the player he can move back if he wanted. Along with he only has 5 seconds to throw it in, he can't step inbounds before releasing it, he cannot change throwers on a designated spot throwin but can after a made basket, also inform him of the backcourt exception... blahblabalbalbablabllalh.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhudson
Team A throwing the ball in with just over 3 seconds remaining. It is on the baseline but is a spot throw in. B defender playing very agressively on the thrower but not crossing the vertical line in anyway. Ball is thrown away, game over. Coach is going nuts at me about the thrower being given 2 feet to throw the ball in?? What is he talking about. I know the defender can guard the baseline without crossing it. I guess he means I should have told his offensive player that he can back up (plenty of room behind him).

Could somebody pass on some help on spot throw in regarding the thrower and defensive player? Thank you.
Okay, so we've given you the sarcastic replies (most of which are a result of just hearing the coach's remark and were not really aimed at you). I guess we owe you a serious answer.

If I've got a spot throw-in I'm indicating the spot to the thrower, and if there's defensive pressure, especially if it's a "pressure situation", I will often remind the defender not to reach through the boundary. I'll illustrate that point by waving my hand up and down in front of the defender along the plane. That is all preventative officiating; I'm trying to prevent what I can prevent.

Saying anything to the thrower about how he can back up...? That's going beyond preventative officiating and into the realm of coaching. I just got back from an association meeting tonight where the guest speaker was the president of the coaches association. He says it irritates him when officials try to coach players. Don't go there. If the coach is trying to pin the kid's blunder on you and saying you should be coaching his kid for him, you should probably negotiate part of his salary. (Just kidding, another point he made was that coaches hate sarcastic banter from officials).

I had a freshman boys game last year where the thrower, on the end line, actually reached through and pushed the defender back because he couldn't deal with the defensive pressure. The ironic part was that the kid had at least 40 feet he could have moved back. A player's stupidity is not our responsibility.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 07:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
If I've got a spot throw-in I'm indicating the spot to the thrower, and if there's defensive pressure, especially if it's a "pressure situation", I will often remind the defender not to reach through the boundary. I'll illustrate that point by waving my hand up and down in front of the defender along the plane. That is all preventative officiating; I'm trying to prevent what I can prevent.
Back In The Saddle: Good point. Rookie officials, please make a note of this.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 08:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
The ironic part was that the kid had at least 40 feet he could have moved back.
Was this game held outdoors?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Field Houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Was this game held outdoors?
In our geographic area, we have a few field houses, with indoor tracks encircling the basketball court, where the inbounder could back up forty feet if he, or she, was quick enough to do it in five seconds.

I always hope that the site directors get ball boys and/or girls in these games, or else I have to stop and catch my breath after running to get a ball that goes this far out of bounds. Usually the players will run and get the ball, but not all the time.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Question Who is responsible?

when a ball goes OB a good distance, is it the officials responsibility to chase it?
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 12:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not in my games.

I did get a standing O this year after getting a ball from underneath the bleachers, though.