The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

20 years!

I've been told it's been 20 years since our local school district has had a snow day.

Streak's over; maybe in recognition of the end of the Patriots' winning streak?

My last game before I have to move to Denver was scheduled for tonight, but now it looks like my season is over since the game's been cancelled.
Bring on the withdrawal symptoms.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:29pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Snaq - we delay or close schools here in N VA when we have a cold rain on the horizon!!

I know what you mean about getting all amped up for a game and it gets cancelled or posponed.

Good luck and have a safe move!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

You must have gotten the storm we had yesterday. If I never see a snowflake again, it'll be waaaay too soon. We got about 18" inches by early afternoon. It took every guy in the neighborhood, with tractors, four-wheelers with blades, snow blowers, and snow shovels and about 3 hours to dig the neighborhood out. And that was just driveway, mail boxes, fire hydrants, and the odd bit of sidewalk here and there.

I looked in my back yard today. The snow is up over the top of the slide on the kids' swingset. The only bright spot is that even the mythical Chuck Elias could use the trapeze, as long as he wore snowshoes (otherwise we'd lose him entirely until the spring thaw).

I'm sorry to hear that you're moving farther away. I was hoping maybe to run into you at a tournament or camp somewhere. And I feel bad for you that you lost your last game in the storm. But hey, I've got a small school BV here on Friday that's so far away from the rest of basketball civilization that you could sneak over to work some three man with me and my partner and get yourself one last fix, and nobody who would care would ever find out.

Good luck on the move.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 03:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Funny thing is, I only had about an inch and a half in my yard this morning. roads were relatively clear. Things were much better this morning than other mornings this year when school went on as scheduled. Go figure. We've had more snow this year than any local can remember. It's still nothing compared to what you'll get in Salt Lake City (or what I can expect in Denver).
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 04:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I just got the word, game's cancelled here in the Madison area tonight.

32 degrees raining, roads are going to freeze in advance of the 5-9 we're getting tomorrow. Tomorrow's gone, too, it would seem.

It's OK. I had a 102 degree fever last night and the worst chills I can remember. Good timing for the cancellation, cause the idiot I am I would've worked tonight (I feel a lot better, actually).
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Snow day?? What's that?? Living in Alaska, we plan for those. LOTS of those. Every year. And our kids go to school on almost every single one of them.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
i live in houston... we have weather days, but it usually takes a few inches of rain within a 3 hour period to trigger those.

refereeing sick... I got a stomach flu/food poising last year before my last game. I got over it the night before the game, and was doing fine until about the last 2 min of each half when it'd catch up to me... prime time to startl oosing focus on the game.

I had a killer headache a few weeks ago - had to go sit in the locker room with the lights off and a towel on my eyes instead of watching the JV game. But for some reason as soon as I got out on the floor and got into the game headache went away.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
we plan for those.
That's the secret. Planning. Buying equipment to keep roads passable. Stocking up on sand, salt and gravel. Individually working to keep vehicles usable in the weather and road conditions. Etc, etc, etc.

Around here, we just don't do that work. So when there's any ice or snow, we just freeze up, literally. But it never lasts long (except two years ago) and look at those few days a year as externally enforced sick days. It's just the way things are.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 08:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's the same here. We may just be the only place in Colorado that doesn't invest in the equipment and supplies necessary for snow removal and preparation. Of course, given the amount of snow we get here, it would be a dumb investment if we did. In places where snow is rare and/or minimal, the money is better spent elsewhere.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Well, we had first round girls' playoff games cancelled last night due to fog. I've seen dense fog before, but not lasting this long. It started Sunday evening, when we had thunder-snow: a full thunderstorm that turned to sleet and snow. Then when it finally let up, it was still warm enough that it caused the snow on the ground to turn to fog, and we had dense fog from late Sunday night all the way through late last night. In fact, when my daughter was coming home from a friend's house last night, it was starting to clear from the roads, but she could still see the fog "pouring" off the fields like some rock concert fog machine; couple that with lightning off in the distance, and she said it was a truly surreal scene.

Meanwhile, games got cancelled and playoff schedules are already screwed up. What type of machinery and equipment do you buy to prepare for fog?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
It's the same here. We may just be the only place in Colorado that doesn't invest in the equipment and supplies necessary for snow removal and preparation. Of course, given the amount of snow we get here, it would be a dumb investment if we did. In places where snow is rare and/or minimal, the money is better spent elsewhere.
Kind of sounds like the place I grew up. We got six inches of snow one winter day and they shut down school for three days. I guess they had no snow tires for the school busses. Can't imagine why. Silly Las Vegas.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Kind of sounds like the place I grew up. We got six inches of snow one winter day and they shut down school for three days. I guess they had no snow tires for the school busses. Can't imagine why. Silly Las Vegas.
You know, small towns often have to prioritize their budgets.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

65 and sunny in the Bay Area yesterday.

Had to put on a sweater.

Werd.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
Had to put on a sweater.

Werd.
Don't take this the wrong way: