The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

18 years and just when you think you have seen it all....here's the play and something for you to think about. Team A scores with 4.5 seconds left to go up by two. Team B player throws the ball in to a teammate who sees another teamate streaking down the court towards their basket. She fires a pass that hits a defender in the head, richochets up in the air and..............you got it! Goes in the basket. Horn sounds and now you make the call. Assume the defender was outside the three point arc. Game over?
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

No books in front of me but I would assume...

Score the bucket as a three, reccommend ice and advil to defender and go home....
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
No books in front of me but I would assume...

Score the bucket as a three, reccommend ice and advil to defender and go home....
You have a live ball passing through the goal for 2 points. The bounce off the head is not a try, so it can't be a 3.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 04:56pm
M.A.S.H.

I can't say it any better than blindzebra. Sounds like we've got bonus basketball!
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

So the bounce ends the initial try. That is why I made my statement about not having my book open. At first I was sure it is the way you say, then I wasn't ... blah blah blah.

Thanks for setting me straight
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Just to clarify, NCAA - when does the horn sound? Before or after the ball passes through the net? (And, if after, if this is an NCAA game, why didn't the clock stop?)
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

help?

Question...

NFHS--isn't this a three? Original pass downcourt was from behind the arc?

College guys...why isn't this a three in NCAA..just curious.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Rules:

As I understand Rule 4-40-4 (and case play 4.40.4 Situation B), this could be counted as 2 or 3, depending on the "type" of the touch by the defender.

If the referee feels that the shot ended when the ball hit the defender (like a shot that is on it's way down), then the ball that subsequently went through the basket would count as 2.

If the referee feels that the shot did not end (for instance, the defender was real close to the passer and the richochet merely redirected a ball that was still on it's way up), it would count as a 3.

The FED used to require officials to judge whether or not the original attempt was a pass or a try but they took that out a couple years ago (or so). However, it still looks to me as if we have to judge whether or not the try "ended" or was merely deflected.

Anyone else interpret this the same (or different)?

Z
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
NFHS Rules:

As I understand Rule 4-40-4 (and case play 4.40.4 Situation B), this could be counted as 2 or 3, depending on the "type" of the touch by the defender.

If the referee feels that the shot ended when the ball hit the defender (like a shot that is on it's way down), then the ball that subsequently went through the basket would count as 2.

If the referee feels that the shot did not end (for instance, the defender was real close to the passer and the richochet merely redirected a ball that was still on it's way up), it would count as a 3.

The FED used to require officials to judge whether or not the original attempt was a pass or a try but they took that out a couple years ago (or so). However, it still looks to me as if we have to judge whether or not the try "ended" or was merely deflected.

Anyone else interpret this the same (or different)?

Z
I don't think this was a shot before it hit the defender. It sounds as though it really was just a pass, that got deflected by the defender's head. 2 points.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

In NCAA, a three-point basket can only be scored on a try. This is not a try, therefore, only 2 points can be scored.

Still waiting on before/after the horn.

Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'd also like to point out that, for NCAA/NFHS shot clock states, this is not a try, and the shot clock would not be reset if the ball hit the rim but did not go in the basket.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

But in NFHS rules a three can be scored from the result of a pass. And it is still considered a three point attempt if it hits a defender who is standing inside or outside of the 2 point zone. Therefore I've gotta say count the bucket as a 3.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by rainmaker

I don't think this was a shot before it hit the defender. It sounds as though it really was just a pass, that got deflected by the defender's head. 2 points.

That's irrelevant rainmaker:

Read Rule 5-2-1 which is clear that even a "thrown ball" (not necessarily a try) counts as 3-points if taken from behind the 3-point line.

That's why I was saying that what is relevant is whether the official feels that the shot ended when it hits the defensive player or whether the ball just got "deflected" by the defensive player.

Z

Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 08:30pm
In Memoriam

A try ends when is certain the throw will be unsuccessful--as per R4-40-4. Case book play 4.40.4SitB is fairly close to this play, only in that play it hit a shoulder instead of a head. The ruling in that play is that the 3-point try ended when it was obviously short and below the ring- so you can only score 2 points. Just transfer those rulings to this sitch. Unless the defender's head was more than 10 feet in the air when the ball hit it, it's gotta be the end of the original try when it hit the defender's head- and the ball subsequently going into the basket can only count 2 points.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
A try ends when is certain the throw will be unsuccessful--as per R4-40-4. Case book play 4.40.4SitB is fairly close to this play, only in that play it hit a shoulder instead of a head. The ruling in that play is that the 3-point try ended when it was obviously short and below the ring- so you can only score 2 points. Just transfer those rulings to this sitch. Unless the defender's head was more than 10 feet in the air when the ball hit it, it's gotta be the end of the original try when it hit the defender's head- and the ball subsequently going into the basket can only count 2 points.
Jurassic,

You are correct, but there could be a situation when the ball hits the defenders head when it isn't "10 feet in the air" and count as 3. One of those long desperation "launches" that starts at the hip and then hits the defender who is right in front of the shooter. Yeah, I know..... unlikely as heck, but if you ref long enough....

Z