The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Post Violation?

Girls JV, NFHS rules, while on the foul line, "warming up" to take her awarded free throws, a particular player has a habit of bouncing the ball in front of her into the paint with a backward spin. On occasion, in order to retrieve the ball prior to the actual commission of her awarded free throw, she steps over or on the line in order to regain possession. Once again, PRIOR to attempting the actual free throw. Now the player clearly has the the ball at her disposal, does this stepping on or over the line prior to her taking the the free throw constitute a violation on the shooter? Also, it should be noted that she IS taking the free throw (albeit just barely) within the 5 seconds allotted. Follow-up, what would the call be (if any) if while bouncing the ball, it inadvertently hits the shooters foot and deflects beyond the confines of the paint or out of the players control? Thanks a million!
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 10:20pm
Never Stop Learning

First of all, if the ball is at her disposal and she crosses the line she has violated. 9-1-3e Second, she has 10 seconds to shoot the ball not 5 seconds.9-1-3a Third, if she looses the ball off her foot reset and start over.9.1.1
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
First of all, if the ball is at her disposal and she crosses the line she has violated. 9-1-3e Second, she has 10 seconds to shoot the ball not 5 seconds.9-1-3a Third, if she looses the ball off her foot reset and start over.9.1.1
Ed is correct about all three aspects.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Ed is correct about all three aspects.
And Nevada is correct in his statement that Ed is correct in his three.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Ed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
First of all, if the ball is at her disposal and she crosses the line she has violated. 9-1-3e

Second, she has 10 seconds to shoot the ball not 5 seconds.9-1-3a

Third, if she looses the ball off her foot reset and start over.9.1.1
to be clear.. if, AFTER the ball is at her disposal (she's spinning it out into the lane) she fumbles it off of her foot its a reset?

also, given the absolute reluctance of so many here to EVER call a 10 seconds on a free throw (which I have had the chance to call 4 times this year, but declined) who would make the call for player stepping over?

I thought about this earlier this year when I noticed Baron Davis making a step forward, catching the ball, then stepping back into his pre-shot routine at the FT line.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly

I have seen several situations like this in the past and you are absolutely correct, I have NEVER seen an official (nor would I unless it was an excessive amount of time) call the 10 second violation on a foul shooter. This situation where the girl "bounced the ball" back to herself happened in my game today and I was questioned by two spectators on why I didn't call a violation on the shooter? My response was that she was NOT in the commission of her shot when she crossed the foul line, rather, she was in her foul-shot routine. Thanks for the truthful feedback.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 11:14pm
Never Stop Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
to be clear.. if, AFTER the ball is at her disposal (she's spinning it out into the lane) she fumbles it off of her foot its a reset?

also, given the absolute reluctance of so many here to EVER call a 10 seconds on a free throw (which I have had the chance to call 4 times this year, but declined) who would make the call for player stepping over?

I thought about this earlier this year when I noticed Baron Davis making a step forward, catching the ball, then stepping back into his pre-shot routine at the FT line.
Maybe it's just me, but I would. I don't make the rules I just enforce them. Why do we have a rule book if we don't apply the rules.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Clap On! Clap Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyc8037
I have seen several situations like this in the past and you are absolutely correct, I have NEVER seen an official (nor would I unless it was an excessive amount of time) call the 10 second violation on a foul shooter. This situation where the girl "bounced the ball" back to herself happened in my game today and I was questioned by two spectators on why I didn't call a violation on the shooter? My response was that she was NOT in the commission of her shot when she crossed the foul line, rather, she was in her foul-shot routine. Thanks for the truthful feedback.
The FT line doesn't have a switch where we can turn it on and off (even if our 10 sec. FT time-counters do!). Are the other players along the lane spaces allowed to roam freely while the FT shooter is retrieving their inept "look-at-me-I-can-spin-the-ball-back-to-myself" FT routine? It seems to me if one allows this to become an acceptable routine, you're asking for trouble waters down the road.
The lower-level games are a great place to establish good official, coach and player habits.
Help the newer players learn a respect for the game.