The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

warning or whack?

First let me preface by saying it's been quite a week. Out of all the JV, MS and men's rec ive worked this year, haven't given out any T's...until now.

Wednesday mens rec - 2 flagrant ejections for fighting in game 1 and two techs in game 2

Friday frosh game whacked a kid of yelling at me about the other team tapping the ball after it came out of the net

Now today I'd like some opinions on. Boy's 8th grade game. white team HC is ALWAYS chirpy. We probably give him too much rope as it is. So it's the 2nd quarter, his team gets something like 6 or 7 offensive rebounds in a row, keeps jumping into the defenders who are straight up and just throwing the ball in the vicinity of the basket. On my way down the floor after they finally score, HC asks why there was no fouls w/ all that contat. My reply was, "Coach, your players are initiating the contact and throwing the ball towards the basket. I'm not going to bail them out by calling a foul when they initiate the contact and take a bad shot." He said it wasn't "bailing them out" to call a foul. I told the coach that regardless of what you want to call it. His guys weren't getting fouled. I now move down as the L, get a real obvious shooting foul on one of his kids. As I'm going by his bench to report the foul, his assistant said "you just bailed their team out right there!!" WHACK.

Coach tells me at halftime he can't believe i whacked his coach w/o giving a warning first. I explained he didn't need to be warned and if he's going to say something like that when i'm 3 feet from him, he should be penalized. So, given what was said, what do you think you'd have done? Thanks!
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you might have let play get a little out of hand. Up to that point were you calling any blocks or charges on the teams. If you were just letting them play then maybe HC was getting frustrated that his team wasn't scoring on all of those shots taken. For 8th graders, I'd pull them aside and calm them down, once I saw too much contact. It works!! Remember, these coaches for the most part don't really have a full grasp on the game.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

The situation wasn't at all out of hand. This wasn't a rough play kind of thing with bodies flying all over the floor, and we were about 30 seconds into the 2nd quarter. The players would get a rebound, head fake, then jump into the players on defense who were straight up. No offense foul type of contact or anything like that, just trying to draw a foul and initiating contact.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 02:02pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Gotta be there to really know.....however, from what is posted, I'd say - ya don't need to talk to the coach so much. Be brief and just get away. AND never take nuttin from the asst coach(s) - they should be seen and not heard. If you feel it was a good T and he was out of line - whack em and live with it.

I usually regret more the T I should have given and didn't....as opposed to the ones I do give.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 02:04pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck
Sounds like you might have let play get a little out of hand.
What did the OP say that would make this be the first thing you say? Maybe you don't understand how to differentiate between a foul and a defender who isn't doing anything illegal. I wasn't there and I can't say for sure if any fouls occured, how can you?
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=grunewar]Gotta be there to really know.....however, from what is posted, I'd say - ya don't need to talk to the coach so much. Be brief and just get away. AND never take nuttin from the asst coach(s) - they should be seen and not heard. If you feel it was a good T and he was out of line - whack em and live with it.

I usually regret more the T I should have given and didn't....as opposed to the ones I do give.[/QUOTE]

great point
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

There is no one size fits all answer to dealing with coaches. From your description, if I were your partner I would okay with your T.

As has been pointed out, your reported conversation with the coach was probably too long. However, at the 8th grade level many coaches are as ignorant as their players and a little (emphasis on the little) education can be a good thing. That's a feel you have to develop.

I will talk to a HC all night long as long as he's willing to keep the conversation appropriate. OTOH assistant coaches speak to me at my pleasure. If they address me in anything other than a respectful manner, well they pays their money and they takes their chances. And their ignorance of their true role and the boundaries that exist provides no shield for them.

However, unless the assistant's outburst is over the line, I will usually warn the HC that his assistant's behavior is about to cost him his box. A good coach will take care of it for me; the other kind will at least not be surprised to find themselves seat-belted (though they'll still complain bitterly about it).

Having said that, the occassional whack for the first offense is good for an assistant coach. It keeps him from developing a mentality that the first offense is a freebie because the official MUST give a warning. A little irrational fear is a good thing
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck
Sounds like you might have let play get a little out of hand. Up to that point were you calling any blocks or charges on the teams. If you were just letting them play then maybe HC was getting frustrated that his team wasn't scoring on all of those shots taken. For 8th graders, I'd pull them aside and calm them down, once I saw too much contact. It works!! Remember, these coaches for the most part don't really have a full grasp on the game.

1. I have zero issues with the T the way you explained it.
2. I have no problems with your conversation with the coach, if you can get that in and still officiate - - - - fine.
3. In no way was the play out of hand as "rngrck" has insinuated. There is and always will be contact in basketball that doesn't warrant a foul. BLOCKS and CHARGES...I didn't understand that comment at all and "pull them aside". Don't go there! Keep up the good work and I have come to the conclusion that I won't be taking all advice on this DB to heart because there is some that doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushmoreRef
..... Keep up the good work and I have come to the conclusion that I won't be taking all advice on this DB to heart because there is some that doesn't make a lot of sense.
Rush,
This is a very key observation on your part. Problably not necessary to make the comment.

Keep in mind that many of the officials that come here are looking for insight to become better officials. When they joined they were looking for a sounding board to support their actions and interpretations. Others came here as more experienced officials trying to offer insight to younger/newer officials. Often the two don't really come together in complete agreement.

There are alot of different approaches to getting things done, it is a matter of determining whether the advice given is of any value to you (or those seeking the advice).
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

To quote myself:

Quote:
Assistant coaches should be seen and not heard.
Assistant coaches should NEVER, EVER question a call. Its not their place. If I had not just had a conversation with the head coach explaining my non-call, then a warning might be in order. But if I have just had that conversation and an assistant coach basically questions my integrity as that one did for you, a T is definitely warranted.

Rule of thumb with coaches....the less you say the better, so you aren't caught by your own words. "Coach there was nothing there" is about as far as I would've gone in that situation.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. A little update and some more info on the game. I didn't want to write a novel in my first post (only half of one) so i didn't include this at the beginning. Coach got whacked in the 2nd qtr as I described. In the third quarter, kid from the same team (home team) hit the floor. It wasn't in my PCA so I didn't see it. Ball goes out of bounds right after he hits the ground. Parent for home team stands up and yells "if someone gets knocked on their a--, it's a GD foul!!!!". Everyone hears this b/c it isn't crowded. H1 in front of me in the middle of the court, turns around to her and yells "you tell 'em michelle". I really didn't want to T the kid up, i said "you do anything else like that and you're getting a T" and the kid just smirks and walks away. In the 4th qtr, he's on defense in the BC, goes for a tie-up, rips the ball away from the offensive player and stumbles and takes 3 or 4 steps. I hit the whistle and call a walk, he yells "oh my God" and slams the ball down. Whack. Number 2 of the game. If i'd pulled anything like this in 8th grade, i think my coach would have beat me after the game and my parents would have been mad that the coach beat them to it.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20
. My reply was, "Coach, your players are initiating the contact and throwing the ball towards the basket. I'm not going to bail them out by calling a foul when they initiate the contact and take a bad shot."
My first thought, before reading where this went, was that I would try very hard not to use a phrase like "bail them out" when talking to a coach. I try to stick to the rules / judgment, and try to use "5 words or fewer".

So, I might try "The defense is remaining vertical"

I might even use your first part, "Your players are initiating contact"
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

I find "Your players are initiating the contact" works very well....most of the time.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
My first thought, before reading where this went, was that I would try very hard not to use a phrase like "bail them out" when talking to a coach. I try to stick to the rules / judgment, and try to use "5 words or fewer".

So, I might try "The defense is remaining vertical"

I might even use your first part, "Your players are initiating contact"
As I was reading through the thread Bob's post was my only response. I think sometimes we tend to get ourselves into trouble by some of the comments we make to the coach.

We all have done it and hopefully have realized afterward that maybe what we said wasn't the best. I have learned over the years & do my utmost best to give a rule book answer to a coaches question. There really isn't a whole lot a coach can say in response to a rule book answer.

Your "bail them out," phrase opened the door for the Asst. coaches comments. Not that I don't agree with your "T" just that maybe you wouldn't have had to give it if your comments were verbalized a little different.

Communication is but one essential key to good officiating. The better communicator you are the better official you will become. This in no way shape or form means we won't take care of business. If we understand that the coach, (@ any level,) has put a lot of time into getting his/her team ready for this game & that sometimes they may get a little vocal or excited about a call/no call. If they do and we have the capability to communicate what happened in a professional way then we can by proper communication, diffuse situations before they escalate. (IMHO)
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Listening to the story (and not being there) I would conclude that the "T" was definitely warranted. There is a way to talk to someone and a way to make fun of or attempt to belittle and unfortunately the Asst Coach took the wrong route.

I also agree with the last 2 or 3 posts that if we (including myself) could learn to better effectively communicate and properly disfuse situations, all parties involved (even the officials) could have a much better basketball experience.

Peace...(and by the way I ejected my first coach on Saturday...4th grade Rec ball...ridiculous...was it something in the water?)