View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

warning or whack?

First let me preface by saying it's been quite a week. Out of all the JV, MS and men's rec ive worked this year, haven't given out any T's...until now.

Wednesday mens rec - 2 flagrant ejections for fighting in game 1 and two techs in game 2

Friday frosh game whacked a kid of yelling at me about the other team tapping the ball after it came out of the net

Now today I'd like some opinions on. Boy's 8th grade game. white team HC is ALWAYS chirpy. We probably give him too much rope as it is. So it's the 2nd quarter, his team gets something like 6 or 7 offensive rebounds in a row, keeps jumping into the defenders who are straight up and just throwing the ball in the vicinity of the basket. On my way down the floor after they finally score, HC asks why there was no fouls w/ all that contat. My reply was, "Coach, your players are initiating the contact and throwing the ball towards the basket. I'm not going to bail them out by calling a foul when they initiate the contact and take a bad shot." He said it wasn't "bailing them out" to call a foul. I told the coach that regardless of what you want to call it. His guys weren't getting fouled. I now move down as the L, get a real obvious shooting foul on one of his kids. As I'm going by his bench to report the foul, his assistant said "you just bailed their team out right there!!" WHACK.

Coach tells me at halftime he can't believe i whacked his coach w/o giving a warning first. I explained he didn't need to be warned and if he's going to say something like that when i'm 3 feet from him, he should be penalized. So, given what was said, what do you think you'd have done? Thanks!