The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

administrative techs/incorrect numbers

Question about administrative techs-
Boys JV game- about 2 mins into the 1st quarter, the table calls me over and states that 2 players currently in the game have incorrect #s in the book. We assess two administrative techs and move on.
Now the first sub comes into the game with an incorrect number (same team). We assess a third administrative tech (coach now tells me they got new uniforms and he didn't update their numbers..he wasn't upset with us, just angry with himself).
Now we're in the 3rd quarter; about 3 mins in, the table calls us over again. Apparently a player that played in the first half with an incorrect number was in the game in the 3rd quarter and we did not assess a technical in the first half for him. I told the (other) coach that we could not assess a technical now since it wasn't a correctable error (i.e. we needed to catch it in the first half when he first was in the game).
I haven't looked this up in the rules/case book yet- any thoughts on how we handled it?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujaye
he wasn't upset with us
He should have been.

One administrative tech for making changes to the book.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Question about administrative techs-
Boys JV game- about 2 mins into the 1st quarter, the table calls me over and states that 2 players currently in the game have incorrect #s in the book. We assess two administrative techs and move on.
Now the first sub comes into the game with an incorrect number (same team). We assess a third administrative tech (coach now tells me they got new uniforms and he didn't update their numbers..he wasn't upset with us, just angry with himself).
Now we're in the 3rd quarter; about 3 mins in, the table calls us over again. Apparently a player that played in the first half with an incorrect number was in the game in the 3rd quarter and we did not assess a technical in the first half for him. I told the (other) coach that we could not assess a technical now since it wasn't a correctable error (i.e. we needed to catch it in the first half when he first was in the game).
I haven't looked this up in the rules/case book yet- any thoughts on how we handled it?
No rules in front of me, but I thought this sitch was only penalized once per team per game?

Dang..lpneck beat me by one minute....

Last edited by CoachP; Wed Jan 30, 2008 at 09:17am.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Just one

Only one administrative T per game. One T in first quarter (team tech. Correct all mistakes. 3rd quarter. Fix the book. No T.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

I believe its 1 admin T for all errors if they're corrected during the 15 min warmup time BEFORE the game. After the game starts, each incorrect # needs to buy their way into the game with a tech.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe its 1 admin T for all errors if they're corrected during the 15 min warmup time BEFORE the game. After the game starts, each incorrect # needs to buy their way into the game with a tech.
It is one technical per team, regardless of when it is discovered and/or how many incorrect numbers must be corrected.

10-1-2 PENALTY: One foul per team regardless of the number of infractions
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am goin got go out on a limb here as I don't like to post about rules I am not sure of -
One tech to change whats already in the book. However, one tech for each player added to the book after the game begins.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
It is one technical per team, regardless of when it is discovered and/or how many incorrect numbers must be corrected.

10-1-2 PENALTY: One foul per team regardless of the number of infractions
Now I'm concerned b/c I called the assignor after the fact and he agreed with what we did....the varsity guys (working the game after ours) also said the same thing (i.e. what we did was fine)...
strange.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now I'm concerned b/c I called the assignor after the fact and he agreed with what we did....the varsity guys (working the game after ours) also said the same thing (i.e. what we did was fine)...
strange.
Maybe confusing it with the new "home team must wear white" rule?

A T is for each player entering the game "not wearing white" in that sitch.....
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not only did you get the number of T's wrong, but this statement about the timing is wrong as well. If this person had been the "first incorrect number" you could still penalize it in the third quarter -- it's penalized when the number must be changed.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Not only did you get the number of T's wrong, but this statement about the timing is wrong as well. If this person had been the "first incorrect number" you could still penalize it in the third quarter -- it's penalized when the number must be changed.
I understand that; the very next night I had a bench player come into the game in the 4th quarter with an incorrect # and we assessed a tech then.

If we kicked the rule, we kicked the rule. Its never good when that happens, i just don't understand why the varsity officials and the assignor agreed with what we did.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

CoachP may have hit on it -perhaps they were confusing the penalty for illegal uniforms with the penalty for wrong/missing number in the book. They are not the same.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

It is only one T for any number of number/player mistakes in the books.

10-1:
SECTION 1 TEAM TECHNICAL
A team shall not:
ART. 1 . . . Fail to supply the scorer with the name and number of each team member who may participate and designate the five starting players at least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time.
PENALTY: (Art. 1) One foul for both requirements. Penalized when it occurs.
ART. 2 . . . After the 10-minute time limit specified in Article 1:

a. Change a designated starter unless necessitated as in 3-2-2a.
b. Add a name to the team member list.
c. Require the scorer to change a team member's or player's number in the scorebook.
d. Require a player to change to the number in the scorebook.
e. Have identical numbers on team members and/or players.

PENALTY: (Art. 2) One foul only per team regardless of the number of infractions. (Art. 2a) Penalized if discovered before ball becomes live to start game. (Arts. 2b, c, d) Penalized when they occur. (Art. 2e) Penalized when discovered.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 08:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Adminsitrative Fouls ???

It was my understanding that two administrative fouls can be called in some instances:

Team fails to make available the roster names and starters before the ten minute mark. T-foul #1.

Five minutes into the game, table reports that #4 is playing and is not in either book. T-foul #2.

If I'm corect, and I'm sure that if I'm wrong, I'll be corrected in a few minutes, it may be confusing to rookie officials to say that a maximum of one adminstrative technical foul may be given.
Am I right, or wrong? Help.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
It was my understanding that two administrative fouls can be called in some instances:

Team fails to make available the roster names and starters before the ten minute mark. T-foul #1.
Five minutes into the game, table reports that #4 is playing and is not in either book. T-foul #2.

If I'm corect, and I'm sure that if I'm wrong, I'll be corrected in a few minutes, it may be confusing to rookie officials to say that a maximum of one adminstrative technical foul may be given.
Am I right, or wrong? Help.
Art 2 penalties are once per game per team. Art 1 (roster names submitted by 10 minute mark) doesn't list that restriction.
Correct????