The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Our Assistant Director of Basketball for our state recently released a statement notifying us that technicals and ejections were up 150% over this time last year. Are any of you having similar results?

Is it tableside mechanics? Are the coaches seeing too much of Duke's head coach always chewing/glaring at officials?

Mulk
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 12:01pm
In Memoriam

Ronny, did you get any additional info along with that report from the AD-B? They tell you that they thought it was good or bad, warranted, etc.? Did Georgia issue any POE's or directives to you guys at the start of the year telling you to tighten up?

As for my area, they come and go. There's always more "T"s at the start of the year when the ballplayers are adjusting back to real games and real rules- from their summer league games. Gotta get the NBA playoff game-watching out of their systems too. I've always found that, historically, more "T"s are called every year in the first 2-3 weeks of the season than the rest of the season combined. In football, we get the same thing also. Maybe that's what you're into now.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
Our Assistant Director of Basketball for our state recently released a statement notifying us that technicals and ejections were up 150% over this time last year. Are any of you having similar results?

Is it tableside mechanics? Are the coaches seeing too much of Duke's head coach always chewing/glaring at officials?

Mulk
Your state may want to look into what Arizona is doing. We have Pursuing Victory with Honor set up and every member school must take part in the program.

Ejections are way down since the program came into play, official retention is also way up.

Here's a link to the home page for AIA.

http://www.AIAonline.org
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

Mulk
150% isn't necessarily all that huge of an increase. it depends on what he means when he says "up 150% over last year." "A 150% increase" means more than double. But if the total is "150% OF last year", that only means half-again as many. If he's an engineer, or a math professor, or a prfessional statician, then he's chosen his words carefully and he probably means "more than doubled". However, it's very possible that he's only saying, "half-again as many." Also, it might not hurt to get a break-down by area of the state. If one area is a lot higher, and others are about the same, that needs to be addressed locally, I think.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Ronny, did you get any additional info along with that report from the AD-B? They tell you that they thought it was good or bad, warranted, etc.? Did Georgia issue any POE's or directives to you guys at the start of the year telling you to tighten up?

As for my area, they come and go. There's always more "T"s at the start of the year when the ballplayers are adjusting back to real games and real rules- from their summer league games. Gotta get the NBA playoff game-watching out of their systems too. I've always found that, historically, more "T"s are called every year in the first 2-3 weeks of the season than the rest of the season combined. In football, we get the same thing also. Maybe that's what you're into now.
[/QUOTE

JR,

A following quote:

"We have had an alarming number of situations in which coaches and officials have conducted themselves in an unacceptable manner during games. Unsporting technical fouls and ejections are up 150% over last season. This is not a good thing for high school basketball in Georgia. If a technical foul is warranted, then issue it. But, don't allow the situation to escalate into a personal battle".

No other info was shared. Historically, tempers become frayed about the 3rd week of January as all schedules are in about the 3rd week of heavily loaded region games (games that matter in the standings) This statement is dated Jan 5, which has to reflect before Christmas data. Or, in other words, about 2 to 3 weeks early. My guess is that the number and % will increase unless the officials heed his advice.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 12:26am
Administrator

A few years ago the OhioHSAA released the ejections for its Fall sports (girls' volleyball, football, boys' and girls' cross-country, boys' golf, and boys' and girls' soccer). The number of ejections for boys' and girls' soccer was more that double the number of ejection for all of the other Fall sports combined. Needless to say, the schools that had soccer teams were told to clean up their act or the OhioHSAA would drop soccer as a sport.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 03:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Mulk
I cannot speak for everyone. I noticed that this mechanic has opened the lines of communication between officials and coaches. At least in my games it has calmed the tension. The coaches ask a question and it is much easier to answer. Not that big of deal. The veterans do not seem to be having has many problems as before. But that is all anecdotal information. I do not know if anyone is keeping statistics or a study on how many Ts. I know the state knows how many ejections are made. But you would have to ask them directly to find out that information.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 08:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B][/QUOTE
A following quote:

"We have had an alarming number of situations in which coaches and officials have conducted themselves in an unacceptable manner during games. Unsporting technical fouls and ejections are up 150% over last season. This is not a good thing for high school basketball in Georgia. If a technical foul is warranted, then issue it. But, don't allow the situation to escalate into a personal battle".

[/B]
Just a guess, Ronny, but I think that there might be some other dynamic at play in this one that you maybe aren't aware of. Methinks that this might be related to just one or two specific incidents, and the AD-B is issuing a general warning to get his point across to a few specific officials and coaches. As I said, just a guess on my part. It would seem odd though to warn officials in your area about something that may have not been a problem at all so far in your area.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I think that there might be some other dynamic at play in this one
That was my impression, too. There are a couple of specific incidents that really caught somebody's attention and that person decided to let everybody know what he/she thought of it.

Interestingly, my HS assignor also mentioned to me that he's been hearing that there a lot more T's being given this year. His concern was not about the T's, but about the behavior of coaches and players.