Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave Brost
Question

Scenario-
Team A is in their backcourt dribbling when the ball is tipped away. The ball remains loose for several seconds. Now I know that control is still with Team A during the loose ball, and that player control no longer exists. My question is: Does the 10-second count continue during this loose ball, becuase team control is still infect, or is the count put on hold, and continued at the point left off, if Team A regains control?
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I think you answered your own question. If team control still exists, how can it be regained?

The 10-second rule reads: "A player may not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of a ball which is in his/her backcourt for ten seconds" (9-8).

Think of this like the NCAA shot clock - if B gains control, then A gains control, A gets a new "10." If B simply taps, the clock is still running on team A.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Man MD, you take all the easy ones! It's amazing to me how many officials get this wrong. You can tell too. They will start counting with their other arm!
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Question 10 second count

Dave; Are you talking about High School rules or College rules here? It seems to me that in HS, if team A had the ball tipped away in the back court, the 10 second count continues. This would be because team B did not have control on the tipped ball. In my opinion, I would continue the 10 second count until either the ball has gone into the front court or a violation has occured.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Re: 10 second count

Quote:
Originally posted by WI REF
In my opinion, I would continue the 10 second count until either the ball has gone into the front court or a violation has occured.
Or until B gains control of the ball.

I had this in a playoff game a couple of years ago. The coach went nuts until my partner asked him, "Did your opponent ever gain control of the ball?"
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
Man MD, you take all the easy ones!
How do you think I manage to have such a high correctness percentage?

Seriously, while I'm no longer a rookie when it comes to basic rules and case book plays, I (unfortunately) don't have the experience that comes from actually calling games at the HS level, which is why I often stay silent on judgement calls (that plus the fact that I wasn't there to see the play!).
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the information. You guys just verified what I thought was the right procedure. So conceivably, you could have a ten-second call with the ball having been loose in the backcourt for the past several seconds. I hope I do not have to explain this one to a coach any time soon!
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 02:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Just wait until you are officiating a game on a cruise ship in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, and while A1 is dribbling in his backcourt and you are counting, the ship crosses the Internation Date Line and it is now yesterday.

How much time does he get now?
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Mark-
It is funny you should mention that. I was doing a game on a cruise ship last year, and we were in the Bermuda Triangle. We lost both the dribbler and the ball. Still looking for them. Do we go to the possession arrow with this one? That is, if we ever get another ball to use!
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 03:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brost
Mark-
It is funny you should mention that. I was doing a game on a cruise ship last year, and we were in the Bermuda Triangle. We lost both the dribbler and the ball. Still looking for them. Do we go to the possession arrow with this one? That is, if we ever get another ball to use!
Was the possession arrow possessed?
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, I was on that cruise. I was the dribdler! I'm still lost. Got the ball right here! I keep kicking my heels together and saying there's no place like Bermuda...nothing!