The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   AP question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41499-ap-question.html)

Adam Wed Jan 30, 2008 02:50pm

AP question

I know I'm missing something, but here's the scenario.
AP throwin for A.
Legal held ball between thrower and B1.
Who gets the ball?

Arrow switches when the throwin ends, which happens when ball is legally touched on the playing court. This tells me it should be B's ball, but the devil on my shoulder keeps telling me it should stay with A. What am I missing, 'cause if the devil on my shoulder is right, then that's a precedent I'd love to go forward with.

wisref2 Wed Jan 30, 2008 02:58pm

that little devil on your shoulder is the coach of A. Ignore him.

SORRY - missed the part that the thrower still had the ball.

Ref in PA Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:03pm

6.4.5 says not to change the arrow and the subsequent throwin will be an AP throwin for A.

fullor30 Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I know I'm missing something, but here's the scenario.
AP throwin for A.
Legal held ball between thrower and B1.
Who gets the ball?

Arrow switches when the throwin ends, which happens when ball is legally touched on the playing court. This tells me it should be B's ball, but the devil on my shoulder keeps telling me it should stay with A. What am I missing, 'cause if the devil on my shoulder is right, then that's a precedent I'd love to go forward with.

Quicky answer without consulting book. I say B gets it, as ball is legally touched in bounds and A happens to be out of bounds, therefore violation on A and B gets ball AND AP arrow.

This is of course a product of A sticking the ball across the inbounds plane enabling B to legally grab ball (as you mentioned). I await the high council's ruling.

Grail Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:07pm

The throw ends after the ball is touched in bounds, but not if the thrower never releases the ball. The throw in must be released directly into the court, thus since no release, no completed throw in. The arrow is pointing A's direction. They get the ball again for an AP throw in.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref in PA
6.4.5 says not to change the arrow and the subsequent throwin will be an AP throwin for A.

Case book paly 6.4.5SitB to be exact. It's the same play. Good catch.

Adam Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:21pm

I like it when the devil on my shoulder is correct. thanks. ;)

fullor30 Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Quicky answer without consulting book. I say B gets it, as ball is legally touched in bounds and A happens to be out of bounds, therefore violation on A and B gets ball AND AP arrow.

This is of course a product of A sticking the ball across the inbounds plane enabling B to legally grab ball (as you mentioned). I await the high council's ruling.

Full, your full of it........

7.6.4 SITUATION F: Thrower A1 inadvertently holds the ball through the end-line plane during a throw-in. B1 is able to get his/her hands on the ball and A1 cannot pull it back. RULING: There is no player or team control during a throw in, therefore a held ball is called, resulting in an alternating-possession throw-in. If the original throw-in is an alternating-possession throw-in, Team A still has the arrow following the held ball.

rainmaker Wed Jan 30, 2008 04:59pm

Quote:

But if he's correct, he's not a devil! The devil only deals in half-truths.

rockyroad Wed Jan 30, 2008 05:26pm

Quote:

What in the world are you doing with M&M Guy on your shoulder? :confused: That has GOT to result in some serious chiropractor time!!:p

tjones1 Wed Jan 30, 2008 05:34pm

Quote:

7.6.4 SITUATION F: Thrower A1 inadvertently holds the ball through the end-line plane during a throw-in. B1 is able to get his/her hands on the ball and A1 cannot pull it back. RULING: There is no player or team control during a throw in, therefore a held ball is called, resulting in an alternating-possession throw-in. If the original throw-in is an alternating-possession throw-in, Team A still has the arrow following the held ball.

You're full of it too! :D

Adam Wed Jan 30, 2008 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
But if he's correct, he's not a devil! The devil only deals in half-truths.

I only reported about half of what he said. The rest was pretty high praise for some ref named "Chuck."

rainmaker Wed Jan 30, 2008 06:08pm

Quote:

I only reported about half of what he said. The rest was pretty high praise for some ref named "Chuck."

...half-truth...high praise... chuck... way, way too easy...

Adam Wed Jan 30, 2008 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
What in the world are you doing with M&M Guy on your shoulder? :confused: That has GOT to result in some serious chiropractor time!!:p

Word.

Adam Wed Jan 30, 2008 06:14pm

Quote:

...half-truth...high praise... chuck... way, way too easy...

You're right. I should have known which half was the truth.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 30, 2008 06:27pm

Quote:

Word.

:D

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 30, 2008 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by msavakinas
There's a chance I'm missing something here... and I probably am.

but I've got it's out of bounds and it's B's ball, and the throwin did end when it was legally touched inbounds by B, which happened immediately prior (split second) to the out of bounds.

Yup, you're missing case book play 6.4.5SitB as already cited.

Where you're getting screwed up is in the definition of a throw-in. Take a look at rules 4-42-4&5. To have a throw-in, the ball must be <b>released</b> by the thrower directly into the court. Article 5 also says that the the throw-in ends when the <b>passed</b> ball touches or is legally touched by another player. In the play being discussed, the ball was <b>NEVER</b> released or passed. Ergo....the throw-in never ended.

Make sense now?

fullor30 Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
You're full of it too! :D

I can't break that habit.......always kick that.

SamIAm Thu Jan 31, 2008 09:28am

Quote:

The wording of this play indicates a jumpball whether B1 cleanly takes the ball from A1 or not. Am I reading this correctly, is it always a jump ball? Or can B1 take the ball away from A1 with no jump ball.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 31, 2008 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm
The wording of this play indicates a jumpball whether B1 cleanly takes the ball from A1 or not. Am I reading this correctly, is it always a jump ball? Or can B1 take the ball away from A1 with no jump ball.

Of course B1 can take the ball away.

Adam Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:08am

Okay, if the throwin doesn't end until the "passed" ball is touched on the court….
AP throwin.
B1 grabs ball and immediately pulls it away from A1; no held ball call. Switch the arrow?

SamIAm Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Of course B1 can take the ball away.

I agree with you, but the case play does not seem to allow for it. If Bb1 gets hands on ball and A1 can't pull it back then jumpball.
That very scenario takes place when B1 takes the ball from A1.

Smitty Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:40am

Quote:

I agree with you, but the case play does not seem to allow for it. If Bb1 gets hands on ball and A1 can't pull it back then jumpball.

I have seen a case where the player out of bounds making the throw in, places his hand out in front of him, inbounds, palm up so that the ball is simply resting in his hand. If the defensive player then slaps the ball out of his hand, that wouldn't possibly be a held ball, would it?

rainmaker Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:44am

Quote:

Unless B1 just yanks it away from A1 suddenly, and hustles away. In that case, the throw-in ends legally.

Also, what Smitty says is correct.

And BTW, if A2 removes the ball from A1's hand in any of these ways, it's illegal.

SamIAm Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty
I have seen a case where the player out of bounds making the throw in, places his hand out in front of him, inbounds, palm up so that the ball is simply resting in his hand. If the defensive player then slaps the ball out of his hand, that wouldn't possibly be a held ball, would it?

Not in my judgement. I presume you are not wanting me to be your definitive source, what does the rule/case play tell you?

rainmaker Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:56am

Quote:

Not in my judgement. I presume you are not wanting me to be your definitive source, what does the rule/case play tell you?

I think the question was Socratic/rhetorical.

Adam Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:02pm

Quote:

Unless B1 just yanks it away from A1 suddenly, and hustles away. In that case, the throw-in ends legally.

How does the throwin end?

rainmaker Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:05pm

Quote:

How does the throwin end?

Ball is touched legally in-bounds.

Smitty Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:11pm

Quote:

I was simply refuting your claim that by definition taking the ball away from the inbounder when they hold it on the inbounds side of the line is always a held ball. I am assuming, based on the previous rule citation, even though the ball is slapped out of the inbounder's hand and play goes on from there, the arrow is not reversed because the thrower never released the ball, and therefore the throw-in never ended. Seems weird, but that's how it seems to play out.

Adam Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:17pm

Quote:

Ball is touched legally in-bounds.

But it was never passed. Definition states a passed ball has to be touched for the throwin to end.

rainmaker Thu Jan 31, 2008 01:00pm

Quote:

But it was never passed. Definition states a passed ball has to be touched for the throwin to end.

But it doesn't have to be passed. A passed ball has to be touched, but the ball doesn't have to be passed.

Adam Thu Jan 31, 2008 01:10pm

Look at the definition of the throwin; specifically how it ends.

rainmaker Thu Jan 31, 2008 01:23pm

Quote:

Look at the definition of the throwin; specifically how it ends.

Yup, but then look at case 7.6.3 Sitch A. If the throw-in hadn-t ended, why would the basket count?

I guess they're defining a pass to include reaching the ball through the plane??

SamIAm Thu Jan 31, 2008 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty
I was simply refuting your claim that by definition taking the ball away from the inbounder when they hold it on the inbounds side of the line is always a held ball. I am assuming, based on the previous rule citation, even though the ball is slapped out of the inbounder's hand and play goes on from there, the arrow is not reversed because the thrower never released the ball, and therefore the throw-in never ended. Seems weird, but that's how it seems to play out.

Semantics, but I didn't claim, I questioned.

7.6.4 SITUATION F: Thrower A1 inadvertently holds the ball through the end-line plane during a throw-in. B1 is able to get his/her hands on the ball and A1 cannot pull it back.

The case play does not say A1 and B1 are in a tug-of-war but I think it assumes it. It could occurr where the ball is cleanly snatched from A1, yet B1 got their hands on the ball and A1 could not pull it back (meeting the terms of 7.6.4).

Adam Thu Jan 31, 2008 01:39pm

Quote:

Yup, but then look at case 7.6.3 Sitch A. If the throw-in hadn-t ended, why would the basket count?

I guess they're defining a pass to include reaching the ball through the plane??

Then B should get the ball on the held ball situation discussed in my OP.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 31, 2008 01:44pm

Quote:

Then B should get the ball on the held ball situation discussed in my OP.

Read it as "The throw in ends when the released ball is legally touched."

In the OP, the ball wasn't released.

In the revision, the ball was released (but not "voluntarily" -- that doesn't matter).

In the case play, yes, it's assuming action that would be a "held ball" if it happened during inbounds play.

rainmaker Thu Jan 31, 2008 01:50pm

Quote:

In the revision, the ball was released (but not "voluntarily" -- that doesn't matter).

In the case play, yes, it's assuming action that would be a "held ball" if it happened during inbounds play.

Just another example of the need for re-working the rule book.

Adam Thu Jan 31, 2008 02:08pm

Quote:

This makes sense. Just wish the rule was more clear.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 31, 2008 02:19pm

Quote:

. Just wish the rule was more clear.

What isn't clear about rule 4-42-5--"The throw-in <b>ends</b> when the <b>passed</b> ball touches....."?:confused:

You never had a "passed" ball in the play being discussed, so the throw-in never ended. Therefore, the arrow doesn't change.

Y'alls are just over-thinking this one way too much.

Adam Thu Jan 31, 2008 02:20pm

So you're saying I was right!

Word.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 31, 2008 02:28pm

Quote:

Word.

Shut up.

Word.

rainmaker Thu Jan 31, 2008 02:31pm

Quote:

So you're saying I was right!

Word.

Wait a minute!! You said the ball should go to B. That's NOT right.

Adam Thu Jan 31, 2008 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Shut up.

Word.

Careful, you'll knock Dan off his perch.

rainmaker Thu Jan 31, 2008 02:34pm

Quote:

Woo-hoooo!!! ROFL!

Adam Thu Jan 31, 2008 02:36pm

Quote:

Wait a minute!! You said the ball should go to B. That's NOT right.

I was talking about my posts 22, 28, 31, and 33. Without the throwin ending, A should keep the arrow. If the throwin ends here without a pass, then B should keep the ball and the case book is wrong.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 31, 2008 02:40pm

Quote:

Dan has a perch?
http://www.lindenhurstil.org/lakesco...0Perch%20n.jpg

Kinky!

rainmaker Thu Jan 31, 2008 02:44pm

Quote:

I was talking about my posts 22, 28, 31, and 33. Without the throwin ending, A should keep the arrow. If the throwin ends here without a pass, then B should keep the ball and the case book is wrong.

Ah. This thread does get a little confusing. Even the perch reference is a little ambiguous. Is it piscine as JR alludes to, or rather psittacine as from Tony?

M&M Guy Thu Jan 31, 2008 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad

Hey! How did I get dragged into this?!?

<font size=1>Psst...hey, rocky...picture me sittin' on your shoulder and whispering a few words in your ear...not to mention me holding on tight...</font size> :D

Adam Thu Jan 31, 2008 03:08pm

Quote:

Ah. This thread does get a little confusing. Even the perch reference is a little ambiguous. Is it piscine as JR alludes to, or rather psittacine as from Tony?

That's funny, I had JR pegged for a Taurus.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 31, 2008 03:35pm

Quote:

That's funny, I had JR pegged for a Taurus.

Psittacine on you.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 31, 2008 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
<font size=1>Psst...hey, rocky...picture me sittin' on your shoulder and whispering a few words in your ear...not to mention me holding on tight...</font size> :D

I can imagine you sitting <b>down</b>.

As for the holding on part, whatever floats your boat. Nothing the matter with having a short one, I guess.

M&M Guy Thu Jan 31, 2008 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I can imagine you sitting <b>down</b>.

As for the holding on part, whatever floats your boat. Nothing the matter with having a short one, I guess.

Oh, yea?!?

Well Word to you, too!