The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Correctable Error

B1 is called for a personal foul, the 10th team foul of the half. A1 steps to the line, and the administering official steps in and says "one and one." The FT is missed, and rebounding action ensues. The ball ends up going out of bounds on the sideline, off of B2. At this point, trail official realizes it should have been double bonus.

So, what do you do:

A -- Line up players on the lane and allow the 2nd FT with regular rebounding action?

B -- Clear the lane for FT #2, and then give it back to A on the sideline where the ball went out after the first FT?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 01:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Answer B.

You have not passed the time frame to correct the mistake. And you have to give the second merited FT attempt even though you screwed up by telling the players the wrong number of FTs.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

OK, now, what if you have the same scenario, however, B gets the rebound, advances the ball to the Frontcourt, and then team A commits a kicking violation, at which time you discover the error. Which option do you use?

A -- Line up players on the lane and allow the 2nd FT with regular rebounding action?

B -- Clear the lane for FT #2, and then give it back to B back where the kicking violation occurred?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Answer B.

You have not passed the time frame to correct the mistake. And you have to give the second merited FT attempt even though you screwed up by telling the players the wrong number of FTs.

Peace
Why clear the lane? Why not just line em up for regular rebounding action? Rule reference or casebook play please.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

I should know better than to mess with JR but

Quote:
Answer B.

Peace

Ya I should know better than to disagree with JR, but I am going to say in that senario you line them up.

Rule 2 Section 10
Art. 6... If an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point of interruption to rectify the error, unless it involves awarding a merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the error was made, in which case play shall resume as after any free-throw attempt(s).

[See corresponding Case Rule for Situation 2.10.6]

Even though the ball went out of bounds off of B I do not believe that is a change of possesion is it?

Last edited by jcarter; Wed Jan 30, 2008 at 04:59pm.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

I do believe a similar play is in the case book. Instead of the ball going OOB, there is a jump ball. (a) Arrow points to Team A. (b) Arrow points to Team B.

Since Team A would get the ball in (a), there is no change of possession from the POI, thus you line the player up for the 2nd Throw. Team A retains the AP arrow.

In (b) the POI is a change of possession, so Player A shoots the uncontested 2nd Free Throw and resume play via the Alternate Possession throw-in for Team B.

Let me know if I am wrong.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Answer B.

Nope, the answer is A.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
OK, now, what if you have the same scenario, however, B gets the rebound, advances the ball to the Frontcourt, and then team A commits a kicking violation, at which time you discover the error. Which option do you use?

B -- Clear the lane for FT #2, and then give it back to B back where the kicking violation occurred?
I'd have "B" in both the OP and this revised play.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

I like this question.

Quote:
B1 is called for a personal foul, the 10th team foul of the half. A1 steps to the line, and the administering official steps in and says "one and one." The FT is missed, and rebounding action ensues. The ball ends up going out of bounds on the sideline, off of B2. At this point, trail official realizes it should have been double bonus.

So, what do you do:

B -- Clear the lane for FT #2, and then give it back to A on the sideline where the ball went out after the first FT?
First, since I got the last 'correctable error' question so wrong (damn you dead ball after a made basket!!) I'm gonna slow down.
Is this correctable?
Officials received information during the first dead ball after the clock was properly started. Yes, this is a correctable error.

All results of what occurred should stand, so the ball went out of bounds off of B2. A will have the ball for throw-in after the free-throw to be awarded.

So I am going with B -- Clear the lane for FT #2, and then give it back to A on the sideline
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 10:01am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I'd have "B" in both the OP and this revised play.
Why would 2.10.1 SITUATION A (a) not apply? "since Team A had not lost possession between the error and when the error was recognized"

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Why would 2.10.1 SITUATION A (a) not apply? "since Team A had not lost possession between the error and when the error was recognized"

Thats what im wondering.........
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How about because:
Quote:

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:20pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
How about because:
Didn't read that one I guess. Was referring to the OP.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do agree with you on the OP.

I would have to say if this happened to me last night, I would've cleared the lane and gone to POI. However, after reading the rule a little closer, I would've been wrong.

This is why I always pre-game good communication among the table and crew, so these things (correctible errors) never happen in the first place.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hmmm... I could swear that the OP said something about B getting control and then losing the ball OOB.

Maybe I was influenced by the second play.

In any event, there was no "change of posession" in the OP, so answer A is correct. There was a change in the second play, so B is correct.