The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Player down

I had a game tonight. Buys Varsity. 3 man.

I have a player go down when the other team has a fast break. I stay with the downed player and let the fast break play out. once it has ended, I blow and the coach comes out. The was no obvious injury, he just went straight down and stayed down. We continue with the sub.

Here's my question. If say he had a serious injury, bleeding or a broken bone. Would you stop the play right away or wait till the play ends?

I say stop right away, my partner says wait till the play ends. I'm listening.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan

I have a player go down when the other team has a fast break. I stay with the downed player and let the fast break play out. once it has ended, I blow and the coach comes out. The was no obvious injury, he just went straight down and stayed down. We continue with the sub.

Here's my question. If say he had a serious injury, bleeding or a broken bone. Would you stop the play right away or wait till the play ends?

You answered your own question, if you deem it a serious injury, I'd stop it.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

I would stop immediatly for serious injury or even a minor injury if the player is in any danger where he is at on the floor.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

I can't imagine a broken bone, torn ligament, cut, etc. would be any different if you wait 5 seconds or blow the whistle immediately. Unless you saw something that makes you gasp in horror, you can wait 2-3 seconds. That is all it takes for a fast break to happen...if the don't go straight to the hole, blow the whistle.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 06:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I can't imagine a broken bone, torn ligament, cut, etc. would be any different if you wait 5 seconds or blow the whistle immediately. Unless you saw something that makes you gasp in horror, you can wait 2-3 seconds. That is all it takes for a fast break to happen...if the don't go straight to the hole, blow the whistle.
If I see a broken bone, I'm stopping play immediately. There's nowayinhell I'd ever let play continue with a player down on the floor with something like that. I'll stop play immediately for a serious cut too. And a player who has whacked their head. I'll always err on the side of caution when it comes to player safety.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Jan 30, 2008 at 06:30am.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I wouldn't stop play for a nose bleed or a busted lip, only for what you might call a real head injury or an obvious broken bone. Of course, there could be obvious exceptions.

You were right to stop and stay with the kid. That prevents him from being injured any further and let's everyone know you see him and will take care of it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
But what if the fastbreak is stopped and a play is set up, that could take 15 or 20 seconds or more. So, I would stop the play as soon as I could, definitely once the fast break is ended, for something serious. JMO.

Thanks for the replies.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But what if the fastbreak is stopped and a play is set up, that could take 15 or 20 seconds or more. So, I would stop the play as soon as I could, definitely once the fast break is ended, for something serious. JMO.

Thanks for the replies.
Once they stop the fast break they've ended their immediate attempt to score, so by rule you're good to stop for an injury.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 08:02am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Yes, I would stop the play right away for a severe injury. Safety comes first. Always. Having said that, I've never had to kill the play immediately - it usually kills itself within a few seconds.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Medically, there would be no significant difference between stopping play immediately and letting a fast break finish -- we're talking at most 10 seconds, and probably more like 5. Even if the injured player had stopped breathing, an extra 10 seconds is not going to be significant.

However, as we know the important thing is often not medical reality but public perception and the threat of litigation. The manual instructs us to stop play "when necessary to protect the player" (p. 40) though few of us are likely qualified to judge that, other than the kid getting stepped on.

I do like the idea of one official remaining behind with the injured player, though this is feasible mainly in 3-whistle mechanics. Be sure not to touch the injured player, however (another instruction in the manual).
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 08:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Once they stop the fast break they've ended their immediate attempt to score, so by rule you're good to stop for an injury.
Rule reference ?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

When in doubt, call Mary Kay Olsen.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 08:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Rule reference ?
NFHS rule 5-8-2NOTE.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
NFHS rule 5-8-2NOTE.
Thanks, JR.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

If its serious, I'm stopping play. A young person's health is more important than 2 points in a basketball game.