The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 02:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
It would be deductible, but (and I'm not a CPA, so someone will be along to correct me) if you have a regular office you commute to, you would be expected to deduct the normal round trip mileage to/from your office from your sales call commute. If you leave from your office, it would be all deductible, provided you return there after your call and then drive home.

A lot of this is, simply, deducting what you feel comfortable with, with your accountant's knowledge of the law in mind.
My understanding is that if you leave from work to go to a game, you can deduct the mileage from your office to the game, and then from the game to your home. If this all makes sense.

For an official who happens to work graveyard shift at his primary job, he could deduct mileage from home to game, then from game to work.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 02:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Taxes ...

Regarding my officiating income, and taxes. My accountant asks me for my total income, and I tell him all of my income, even when I get paid in cash. He also asks me for all of my expenses; dues, fees, fines, uniform, shoes, whistles, camps, etc. I wash my own uniform at home, so he makes an allowance of $5 per week for laundry. He also asks for my home to game to home round trip mileage, which is easy to get from Arbiter, as well as round trip mileage for meetings, camps, etc. I believe that he makes some type of Social Security payment to go along with my income taxes.

I give him what he asks for. No more. No less. I don't ask any questions. I'm not an accountant, nor do I play one on television. I trust that he will keep me out of jail. He's the expert. I have no idea what he does with the information that I give him. I just sign the forms, and send in my check, or accept my refund. I know that ignorance is no excuse as far as the law is concerned, but I'm way out of my league here. I know more about rocket science than accounting. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Hopefully, I won't have to use this:

Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 02:28pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Regarding my officiating income, and taxes. My accountant asks me for my total income, and I tell him all of my income, even when I get paid in cash. He also asks me for all of my expenses; dues, fees, fines, uniform, shoes, whistles, camps, etc. I wash my own uniform at home, so he makes an allowance of $5 per week for laundry. He also asks for my home to game to home round trip mileage, which is easy to get from Arbiter, as well as round trip mileage for meetings, camps, etc. I believe that he makes some type of Social Security payment to go along with my income taxes.

I give him what he asks for. No more. No less. I don't ask any questions. I'm not an accountant, nor do I play one on television. I trust that he will keep me out of jail. He's the expert. I have no idea what he does with the information that I give him. I just sign the forms, and send in my check, or accept my refund. I know that ignorance is no excuse as far as the law is concerned, but I'm way out of my league here. I know more about rocket science than accounting. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Hopefully, I won't have to use this:

As Mark has previously pointed out...the stripes are going the wrong way.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
As Mark has previously pointed out...the stripes are going the wrong way.

I've heard he goes both ways..............not that it's a bad thing.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I've heard he goes both ways..............not that it's a bad thing.
I bought a Garmin GPS Unit and I am going write that off as well since I use it more for finding schools.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I bought a Garmin GPS Unit and I am going write that off as well since I use it more for finding schools.
I would think that's fully deductable
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
As for mileage, which I think by far is the largest expense for most of us, my understanding is you can deduct the cost of driving from 1 place of business to the next. Drive from home to a game? Can't deduct. Drive from work to a game? Can deduct. You cannot deduct the cost of driving back home. You can deduct tolls and parking costs. This is how I handle it, and I deduct every mile I am allowed at least to offset the travel expense money I recieve that I must report as income.
I just wanted to point out explicitly that this isn't accurate. As an independent contractor, you can deduct mileage to and from games regardless from where you leave.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 10:38am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
A good idea is to not claim expenses that will increase the likelihood of an IRS audit. Just sayin'.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
A good idea is to not claim expenses that will increase the likelihood of an IRS audit. Just sayin'.
You think that would raise a flag?
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 10:55am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
You think that would raise a flag?
Let's be serious. Would you EVER use it to find something other than a school you have a game at? Would it EVER be plugged in if you were NOT going to a game? Sorta like a cell phone that you only use to call your partner[s], assignor[s], and schools.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 11:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I can't speak for others, but if I had one, I can't imagine using it for anything other than game sites. I don't go to that many other places I can't find with an address and mapquest.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 12:00pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I can't speak for others, but if I had one, I can't imagine using it for anything other than game sites. I don't go to that many other places I can't find with an address and mapquest.
You couldn't find the game sites with an address and mapquest?*

*First question the auditor would ask.....

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
You couldn't find the game sites with an address and mapquest?*

*First question the auditor would ask.....
Fair question, but the benefit of the system is that it will adjust if my route is forced to change (due to traffic, construction, weather, etc). Since I need to be at the venue within a very specific time frame, this is a crucial benefit. It is also a benefit I don't need for anything else I may do.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 12:19pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Fair question, but the benefit of the system is that it will adjust if my route is forced to change (due to traffic, construction, weather, etc). Since I need to be at the venue within a very specific time frame, this is a crucial benefit. It is also a benefit I don't need for anything else I may do.

Pretty good argument, but the key word is need, is it not? Does anyone really need one of these? They must not be a necessity since such a short time ago nobody had one. In reality, I say this is not a gamebreaker. If you choose to deduct the entire cost of one of these units and you do get audited, it may fly through with no problem, or they may allow a percentage. (1/3, 1/2, whatever) Probably not a big deal. Probably worth a try.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 12:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We don't "need" tax software, either, but we're allowed to deduct that.

We don't "need" 35 shirts, either, but there's no limit on how many we can deduct each year.

We don't "need" extra whistles, but, well, you get my point.

The IRS isn't in the business of determining what a business may or may not need.