The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Insurance TV commercial

Anyone see the ,I believe, a State Farm ad during the NCAA's where a ref pops in the scene wearing a byron collar and a white T shirt? Must have been a French director. Pretty bad.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Anyone see the ,I believe, a State Farm ad during the NCAA's where a ref pops in the scene wearing a byron collar and a white T shirt? Must have been a French director. Pretty bad.
Yup!!! Shows how much they keep up with officiating. They portray us wrong and make fun us and think they all the freaking rules!!!
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 11:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Dude - I already mentioned it in the sticky thread. They've been showing it during the games. How tacky! I think there's also a Chevron commercial that shows the same style shirt on an official, but it's so quick I can't be sure.

Don't these guys do any research?
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 11:07pm
M.A.S.H.

...and a metal whistle.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

The Ad people aren't as stupid as you think. People still identify with the old style refs attire. Happens in all the different industries they portray. Gotta get the most bang for their buck. And only at the expense of a few refs thinking they are stupid..
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 12:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFan
The Ad people aren't as stupid as you think. People still identify with the old style refs attire. Happens in all the different industries they portray. Gotta get the most bang for their buck. And only at the expense of a few refs thinking they are stupid..
Wrong. They could put a freaking footlocker shirt on, and most fans wouldn't notice. It takes about 10 seconds of paying attention to a game to see what they're wearing. They're not stupid, they're just not thorough.

I get the same feeling when I see Air Force stuff portrayed incorrectly (uniforms worn wrong, for example).

I take it back, it is stupid. They're not gaining a damn thing by using the old style shirts, but they're making themselves look stupid to the thousands of referees who know better.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Wrong. They could put a freaking footlocker shirt on, and most fans wouldn't notice. It takes about 10 seconds of paying attention to a game to see what they're wearing. They're not stupid, they're just not thorough.

I get the same feeling when I see Air Force stuff portrayed incorrectly (uniforms worn wrong, for example).

I take it back, it is stupid. They're not gaining a damn thing by using the old style shirts, but they're making themselves look stupid to the thousands of referees who know better.
Think of the target audience they are trying to reach.........basketball fans

it's very, very stupid. Even the casual basketball fan can discern the mistakes. A white T shirt?, metal whistle?

It takes away from the ad's message, and the product loses credibility. Extremely stupid.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 11:36am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
My auto and home insurance is due to renew next month and I have now taken State Farm off my list of possible carriers. If they're that dumb, I don't want to do business with them.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
My auto and home insurance is due to renew next month and I have now taken State Farm off my list of possible carriers. If they're that dumb, I don't want to do business with them.

Would you reconsider?

Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 01:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Would you reconsider?

Man - I'd take a rider on that policy anytime!
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 06:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From Old Post, But On Topic ...

I was putting a box of DiGiornos Frozen Pizza in the freezer when I happened to spot a photo of a "referee" on the back of the box. DiGiornos is having a contest to win tickets to the NCAA Final four in 2009.

This "referee" is blowing a metal whistle, on a yellow lanyard. He's wearing a collared jersey, a rather large watch, what appears to be, a wedding band, on his right hand, and belted pants.

I know that I'm being picky. DiGiornos is good at making pizza, not at officiating NCAA basketball games, but, this is a multi-plus-million dollar company, that probably has a multimillion dollar advertising budget. You would think that someone at DiGiornos, or at their marketing company, would let a real official look at the photo before putting the photo on millions of boxes of pizza.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells

Ok I didn't want to say what really goes on.

they are on a low budget so they go in the wardrobe and find a ref uniform from the last time someone did a ref commercial. Happens to be a little old fashioned but they think what the heck, the only people that know the difference are refs, and they won't notice cause they cant see very good anyway.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 08:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Officials Can't See Very Good Anyway ...

Quote:
The only people that know the difference are refs, and they won't notice cause they cant see very good anyway.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok I didn't want to say what really goes on.

they are on a low budget so they go in the wardrobe and find a ref uniform from the last time someone did a ref commercial. Happens to be a little old fashioned but they think what the heck, the only people that know the difference are refs, and they won't notice cause they cant see very good anyway.
Anyone that advertises during the final four ain't on no low budget.

Reminds me of Field of Dreams movie. The Kevin Costner character asks his father if he wants a 'catch'. Maybe in New Jersey or New York they say let's have have a catch..........not in Dyersville, Iowa.