The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 04:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile Never had this one before

In working rec games, I take the opportunity to kid around with the players sometimes (OK, all the time). One thing I like to do happens when a player makes the first of a one-in-one and some kid on the lane starts to run down court. As he realizes what happened and comes back, I say to him in front of all the others, "See, one-in-one means that if he makes the first shot, he gets another shot - get it?" I usually get about halfway through the sentence when they laugh kind of sheepishly and the others realize I'm just teasing the kid.

However, yesterday I had an 8th grade boys competitive level game in which I did that and the kid nodded and said, "Oh, I see. Thanks." At first I thought he was trying to tease me back, and I was going to tell him "good job", but then I realized he really didn't know! A few minutes later, during a break, his coach came over and thanked me for explaining it to him He said the kid really didn't know the rule as this was his first season of basketball. I wonder what rock this kid was hiding under up until now because he's about 6'2" and a pretty decent player, especially in the post.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 08:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I take the opportunity to kid around with the players sometimes .
Boys varsity game. Ball goes out of bounds off red. Easy call. I blow the whistle, give the stop clock signal, call "White", point in the proper direction, and point to the designated spot.

Red player shows up for the throw in, so I say to him, "Not you, the other white team". He laughed, thank goodness.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

If I see six players from one team out on the floor before I give the ball to the thrower, I'll inform the coach that there is a new rule that only allows five players per team on the floor. I've gotten some good chuckles from that one.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 09:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiogima
If I see six players from one team out on the floor before I give the ball to the thrower, I'll inform the coach that there is a new rule that only allows five players per team on the floor. I've gotten some good chuckles from that one.
I've been saying that for 20 years. In fact, I have it copyrighted. You'll be hearing from my attorneys, Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You'll be hearing from my attorneys, Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.
Mark,

A few weeks ago, I was working a girls' varsity game that was over before one team even came off the bus. Final score was 67-31. We walked on the floor, (I was U2), and the radio commentator came over and asked for our names so he could broadcast who was officiating the contest.

My partner, serving as the R for the evening, calmly told the radio commentator our names were Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe. He gave us a puzzled look, wrote down the names, and then asked what our first names were. My partner told him that all he needed to announce were our last names because people listening would know who we were.

As the players are getting ready for the opening tip, the radio broadcaster, and his partner, are sitting in the front row directly behind me. I heard the guy say, "We are getting ready for the opening tip at __________ gymnasium. Tonight's referees are Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe." I turned around and saw his partner laughing. Finally, the partner explained that it was a joke, and cleared up any confusion. When we came out at halftime, my partner gave the broadcaster our real names.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

too funny

almost like the time when the announcer asked me and my partner for our names.. I told him. A bit later he asked how long we had been officiating... we told him, not thinking much about it. Before tip off - they announce our names and how long we had been officiating each Lesson learned - lie about it if your in your first 5 years.....
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 02:24pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
"See, one-in-one means that if he makes the first shot, he gets another shot - get it?"
Isn't this why it is called "One and one"?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 04:25pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Does this fall under "Mr Annoying Spelling Guy" or "Mr Annoying Grammar Guy"?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 05:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgncjn
When we came out at halftime, my partner gave the broadcaster our real names.
Whenever a fan or anyone else asks for my name, I give him my pseudonym, "Skippy Weaselpants".

I once worked with a guy named John Smith. A P.A. announcer asked him his name. He told him. The announcer replied, "What is that - your motel name?"
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 05:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
No. He has to get one in to get another shot.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 08:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Whenever a fan or anyone else asks for my name, I give him my pseudonym, "Skippy Weaselpants".

And now playing...

Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

When reminding players to tuck their shirts in -- I'll tell them they've "got to look good for the ladies"
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Last week, I had a middle school girls game. 3rd quarter, my partner called a foul on 42 black. We line up to shoot the free throw and the buzzer sounds. I go over there and the blacks book shows that 42 has 5 fouls and the coach as already sent in a sub. The head book only shows 42 only having 2 fouls. After we worked it out, 42 is still back in the game, but is a little angry at us. During the 1st shot, I told 42 that we were sorry. Still, she is mad at me. Before the 2nd shot, I told everyone "hey sometimes officials make mistakes too!" The free thrower cracks up laughing alone with everyone on the lane.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've been saying that for 20 years. In fact, I have it copyrighted. You'll be hearing from my attorneys, Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.
and I believe the Johnny Carson's attorneys will be in touch about the law firm LOL....wasn't that the law firm he referred to all the time??
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 12:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
and I believe the Johnny Carson's attorneys will be in touch about the law firm LOL....wasn't that the law firm he referred to all the time??
The original reference is to an old Marx Brothers movie - way before Carson. The only thing I share with Johnny is we both suffer from nictophobia. It's the fear of backing into doorknobs.

OUCH!

BTW - Johnny's doctor is Niles Curvey. Rodney Dangerfield's doctor is Vinnie Boombatz.