The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Correctable error on bonus FTs

I'm a coach that likes to stay informed and knowledgable about the rules, so I read these boards often. I'll present a situation below, and please understand that I won't be reporting any officials to their supervisors or sending tapes to the state association. I'm just genuinely curious if my officials made the right call last night:

A1 is fouled on the ground by B1. Team foul #7 on Team B, so A1 goes to the line. Calling official reports the foul and signals 1-and-1 to the table. The other official lines up the players and signals "2 shots" before handing the ball to A1.

A1 misses the first shot. B2 jumps in and rebounds it while the other players stand and watch. The official that was underneath starts walking into the lane and blows a quiet "here, give me the ball" whistle. He beckons for the ball from B2, who hands it to him. Then the officials both realize the mistake and confer. The ruling was that A1 would get his second free throw, which he made. B3 inbounds the ball, clock starts, and game continues.

After reviewing the tape I honestly don't know what I would have done if I was in their shoes. I couldn't find anything in the 07-08 case book. These two officials are well-regarded by most coaches in our area and it was an isolated error, I just wondered if it was correctable or what the ruling would be next time it comes up. Thanks.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJW
I'm a coach that likes to stay informed and knowledgable about the rules, so I read these boards often. I'll present a situation below, and please understand that I won't be reporting any officials to their supervisors or sending tapes to the state association. I'm just genuinely curious if my officials made the right call last night:

A1 is fouled on the ground by B1. Team foul #7 on Team B, so A1 goes to the line. Calling official reports the foul and signals 1-and-1 to the table. The other official lines up the players and signals "2 shots" before handing the ball to A1.

A1 misses the first shot. B2 jumps in and rebounds it while the other players stand and watch. The official that was underneath starts walking into the lane and blows a quiet "here, give me the ball" whistle. He beckons for the ball from B2, who hands it to him. Then the officials both realize the mistake and confer. The ruling was that A1 would get his second free throw, which he made. B3 inbounds the ball, clock starts, and game continues.

After reviewing the tape I honestly don't know what I would have done if I was in their shoes. I couldn't find anything in the 07-08 case book. These two officials are well-regarded by most coaches in our area and it was an isolated error, I just wondered if it was correctable or what the ruling would be next time it comes up. Thanks.
Coach,
I think the officials kicked your situation. Having gotten together and realized that they erroneously said two shots on a one and one situation and B did rebound the miss after the first throw. My call would have been B Ball OOB nearest the spot.

For future reference you could have gone to the table after the officials whistled the ball dead after the first throw and requested a meeting which you could have presented your case. The officials have until the first dead ball after the clock has properly started to correct the error.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFFICIAL
Coach,
I think the officials kicked your situation. Having gotten together and realized that they erroneously said two shots on a one and one situation and B did rebound the miss after the first throw. My call would have been B Ball OOB nearest the spot.

For future reference you could have gone to the table after the officials whistled the ball dead after the first throw and requested a meeting which you could have presented your case. The officials have until the first dead ball after the clock has properly started to correct the error.
If the official gave erroneous information as in 2 shots when he/she should've said 1 & 1 and only one player moves into rebound, B player. AP is the only way to continue.

I'm going to add to what MO said. You as the coach can call a T/O to point out a correctable error situation. If the error is correctable then the T/O wouldn't be charged. In this case awarding a unmerited FT.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 08:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFFICIAL
Coach,
My call would have been B Ball OOB nearest the spot.
See case book play 8.6.1(a). It's the exact play. Go to the AP, as Gimlet25id said.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
See case book play 8.6.1(a). It's the exact play. Go to the AP, as Gimlet25id said.
I really wasn't completely comfortable with giving the ball to B. But after looking at the rule and case book and not finding anything I chose my answer. That's why this board is so great. Lots of eyes and experience and everyone shares. Have a great day!
That being said A/P arrow is the only way to go.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the insight, I did miss the case that is already in the book.