The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have been at the table for this twice this year. Do I have this right or am I just missing something?

Team A fouls and the official reports the foul to the table. After entering the foul in the book, I realize that it should be a one and one (single bonus). Before I can get the clock operator to blow the horn, the ball it put into play. At the next ball, I blew the horn and told them that the last foul should have been a one and one. The official thanks me and walks off.

The second time it happened I was the visiting book at a tournament. The home table crew refused to notify the officials because they said after you throw the ball in it is too late. During the next ball, the officials checked with the table but didn’t do anything.

I believe that this is a correctable error. If I remember correctly, you go back and shoot the one and one with the lane cleared and then go to POI.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

The officials should be notified when there is a FT that nees to be shot. If you wait until next dead ball it has to be done before ball becomes a live again or the team loses the shot.

The one bench is wrong, once the ball has been brought in it still may be able to be corrected.

Now here is my thought. Official scorer needs to have game awareness just like the on court officials. You marked down 6th team foul, the next one is bonus. Lights should go up that team is in bonus. If there is a delay that takes that long to figure out that a 7th foul happens something is wrong....

Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

The officials put the ball back into play very quickly. The calling official did not come any where close to the table to report the foul. He just flashed me a number and put the ball in play before I could record it. I know that I should have been aware that that was the 7th foul but there had not been a foul for awhile and I had forgotten which team had six fouls. I usally make sure the bonus lights are on but there was a new clock operator who hadn't done it before and it was all he could do to get the score right and the clock stared properly.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

IMO, don't be afraid to give a horn right away if official reports in sloppy fashion like that so that things slow down and you're clear what the official has. Sounds like you were put in a bad place and not all your fault.

BTW- pet peeve of mine is standing waiting for scorer to look up so that I can report the foul that he/she is already recording!