The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Technical Foul After Time Expires: Ever Happen?

Can anyone point to a link of an actual game situation (high school or college) where a technical foul was called against the "winning team" after time expired and the resulting free throws changed the score?
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Last year around where I was, a (winning) coach was verbally abusing officials as they were leaving and he has a history of doing this and so one official finally decided that this was the last straw and he would issue a T (the coach's 2nd of the game).

What made the situation interesting was that there was a whistle near the end of the game that would have been a foul on the team that was leading. No foul was reported. After the free throws for the T, the team that had the idiot coach protested thinking that they should have been given free throws for a possible foul at the end. The protest was denied by the section.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 07:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dead Ball Dunk

We had a famous dead ball dunk here in Connecticut about thirty years ago. The facts are a little fuzzy in my mind, but I'll give it a try.

Small college game. Springfield at Southern Connecticut State College. Southern just barely wins. After the buzzer sounds to end the game, a Southern player dunks the ball in celebration. Official calls a technical foul. Springfield makes the foul shot(s), sending the game into overtime, which is finally won by Springfield.

Is there a moral to this story? At the buzzer, make eye contact with the table to make sure that everything is alright, and get out of the gym as soon as possible.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Funny you should ask this....

I was not at the game...but I heard, from a reliable source, that this almost happened last Saturday night.

The person I heard this from was watching her son play on the visiting Varsity boys team(Team B)....OK, maybe it isn't so reliable.

This lady said that the officials were "old and terrible"...they had just done the girls game before the boys game. She said that they had to hold up the game at one point so one of the ol' boys could get his legged wrapped.

Her son is playing on an undefeated team...rated 1st in State at this time.
Well, her son's team hit a 3 at the buzzer to go to OT. In OT her son made 6 points(of his game high 23) and Team B ended up winning by 1pt.

At the end of the OT...one of Team B's players slammed the ball down in his excitement of winning.

One of the officials blew his whistle to supposedly issue a T to the kid that slammed the ball.

The Coach of Team B screamed at his player that "he had just lost the game for them." (The Team B coach had received a T earlier in the game...he can be a screamer)

The H.S. kid started crying...but, that's a different story.

The officials got together and, with the help of the home team's coach...decided not to issue a T. The home team coach said he didn't want to win that way. Hmmmmm...pretty classy move on his part IMO.

Sooooo, Team B is still undefeated and the soap opera continues.

Oh yeah...did I mention that the lady with the story happens to be my sister.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 08:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
At the end of the OT...one of Team B's players slammed the ball down in his excitement of winning.
There is nowayinhell that act is unsporting by itself. That's the equivalent of "T"ing up a kid who throws the ball in the air at the end of game. Glad that common sense won out.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh yeah...did I mention that the lady with the story happens to be my sister.
This is a reliable source.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 10:36pm
Administrator

Here is an observation that I would like to put before the group.

We all know that the rules state that if a foul occurs so near the end of the game that the game clock goes to all zeroes and the horn sounds with the officials' whistle, the free throws are shot only if they will have an impact on the outcome of the game. Now onto the observation which may or may not be trivial.

PLAY: Team A is leading 55-54. Team A is in the double bonus. B1 commits a common foul against A1. The horn sounds simultanesously with the T/R's whistle for B1's foul. Since A1's free throws will not alter the outcome of the game. The officials start to leave the confines of the court. As the officials are leaving the court, HC-A places himself in front of the R and starts to complain that B1's foul should have been an intentional personal foul and uses obscene language while addressing the R. R charges HC-A with a flagrant technical foul.

OBSERVATION: Boy did HC-A screw up the game for everybody. A1 had better make both ends of his double bonus free throws, because if he doesn't, depending upon the free throw shooting ability of one of Team B's players, Team B could be the winner of the game after it shoots its free throws or the game could be going to OT.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 08:31am
Lighten up, Francis.

I just heard this story last night. It happened this season, but I forget the schools involved. NCAA D3 game.

Team A (visitors) is down by 2 near the end of the 2nd half. A1 shoots a successful 3-pointer to take a 1-point lead. Clock properly stops at 0.6 seconds after the successful field goal. A6, thinking the game was over, runs off the bench to congratulate A1 on the 3-pointer, interfering with B2 who had just received the throw-in pass. Trail official calls the technical foul for delay as the horn sounds ending the period. Lead and Center official think the whistle is to end the period and run off the court to the locker room. Trail realizes the game is not over -- so leaves the court to get his partners from the locker room.

Referee -- who was already in the locker room -- rules that the game is over as all officials have left the visual confines of the court. The home AD comes to the locker room to ask if the Trail had a technical foul. He says yes, but there's nothing he can do about it now. AD is not pleased. The game has been appealed to the conference office.

Ouch. This was NOT my game last night, btw!! LOL
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:00am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I just heard this story last night. It happened this season, but I forget the schools involved. NCAA D3 game.

Team A (visitors) is down by 2 near the end of the 2nd half. A1 shoots a successful 3-pointer to take a 1-point lead. Clock properly stops at 0.6 seconds after the successful field goal. A6, thinking the game was over, runs off the bench to congratulate A1 on the 3-pointer, interfering with B2 who had just received the throw-in pass. Trail official calls the technical foul for delay as the horn sounds ending the period. Lead and Center official think the whistle is to end the period and run off the court to the locker room. Trail realizes the game is not over -- so leaves the court to get his partners from the locker room.

Referee -- who was already in the locker room -- rules that the game is over as all officials have left the visual confines of the court. The home AD comes to the locker room to ask if the Trail had a technical foul. He says yes, but there's nothing he can do about it now. AD is not pleased. The game has been appealed to the conference office.

Ouch. This was NOT my game last night, btw!! LOL
HAHHAAHHAHAH Too funny.

In my mind, the R did the right thing - follow the rules. If a reversal is in order, let the league deal with it. The crew should expect a suspension, imho.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

We had this happen a couple of years ago in a JUCO (Woman's) Christmas tourney before we switched back to FIBA rules.

NCAA rules. Team wins by 1 and off to the tourney final. Winning coach, who has a history as having a loose screw, says something to the officials is assessed a T. Opponents hit 2 for 2 on the FT and win the game. This team ends up 4th in this tourney and the coach ends up not getting his contract renewed at that school.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Omg

Quote:
Funny you should ask this....

One of the officials blew his whistle to supposedly issue a T to the kid that slammed the ball.
Unless that kid put someone in danger... is anyone going to make this call?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:58am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta
We had this happen a couple of years ago in a JUCO (Woman's) Christmas tourney before we switched back to FIBA rules.

NCAA rules. Team wins by 1 and off to the tourney final. Winning coach, who has a history as having a loose screw, says something to the officials is assessed a T. Opponents hit 2 for 2 on the FT and win the game. This team ends up 4th in this tourney and the coach ends up not getting his contract renewed at that school.
That is a VERY big piece of humble pie!
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Lead and Center official think the whistle is to end the period and run off the court to the locker room. Trail realizes the game is not over -- so leaves the court to get his partners from the locker room.
Assuming the R was lead/center here, wouldn't the game have been over even if the trail sent security to the locker room to retrieve the other officials? 2-4.4?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

2-2-4 The jurisdiction of the officials' is terminated and the final score has been approved when all officials leave the visual confines of the playing area.

In 2-5-7 the referee is given the authority to check and approve the score at the end of each half, but if he doesn't actually go to the book and approve the score after the game, the way I read it, the score isn't approved until all the officials leave the confines.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 08:46am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Assuming the R was lead/center here, wouldn't the game have been over even if the trail sent security to the locker room to retrieve the other officials? 2-4.4?
You're absolutely correct. I realized this while discussing the play with my crew before our game last night. I had erroneously thought that the NCAAM rule was the same as the NFHS rule; but it's not. We pulled out the NCAA book to double-check.

NFHS and NCAAW -- Game is over when all three officials leave the visual confines.

NCAAM -- Game is over when the Referee leaves the visual confines.