The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Speaking of correctable/non-correctable errors

Was watching the JV game before my varsity girls game last night.

We have a shooting foul, player shoots a free throw. Then the table gives the official a horn and sheepishly admits they missed the fact that this was the fifth foul on the person fouling.

So big deal, right? Get her out, get a sub in, off we go, right?

Well, the visiting coach and the R spend a good 3 minutes discussing this, with the visiting coach getting heated over it. Seems he wanted the FT not to count and he wanted to make the player shoot over again. They didn't and I was ready to congratulate the JV guy for getting it right except he said that had the shooter missed he would've awarded a replacement free throw. Oh well.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Rich,
I know that you know this, but for others who may read this thread here is the official NFHS ruling for that scenario.

2004-05 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 3: A1 is fouled by B2 and is awarded two free throws. The foul is B2’s fifth foul. The new trail official reports the fifth foul to Team B’s coach. Before a substitute is made, the lead official incorrectly permits A1 to attempt the first free throw. The officials realize the error and huddle to discuss the situation. RULING: The result of the first attempt shall stand. Team B’s head coach shall be notified of B2’s disqualification. Once B2 has been replaced, A1 shall attempt the second free throw. COMMENT: This is an official’s error and not a correctable-error situation according to Rule 2-10. (2-8-3, 4-14-1, 6-1-2c, 10-5-1d)
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Zoiks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Rich,
I know that you know this, but for others who may read this thread here is the official NFHS ruling for that scenario.

Before a substitute is made, the lead official incorrectly permits A1 to attempt the first free throw.
I worked with this guy!!
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

In the Interpretation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Rich,

SITUATION 3: A1 is fouled by B2 and is awarded two free throws. The foul is B2’s fifth foul. The new trail official reports the fifth foul to Team B’s coach. Before a substitute is made, the lead official incorrectly permits A1 to attempt the first free throw. The officials realize the error and huddle to discuss the situation. RULING: The result of the first attempt shall stand. Team B’s head coach shall be notified of B2’s disqualification. Once B2 has been replaced, A1 shall attempt the second free throw. COMMENT: This is an official’s error and not a correctable-error situation according to Rule 2-10. (2-8-3, 4-14-1, 6-1-2c, 10-5-1d)
What if, instead of 2 tries being awarded it was a bonus situation?
Trail official is 'administering' the management of replacing a disqualified player... maybe the dq'd player is heading for the bench. Your numbskulled partner gives the ball to A1 for the first of one-and-one...

what do we have if she:
makes?
misses?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
What if, instead of 2 tries being awarded it was a bonus situation?
Trail official is 'administering' the management of replacing a disqualified player... maybe the dq'd player is heading for the bench. Your numbskulled partner gives the ball to A1 for the first of one-and-one...

what do we have if she:
makes?
misses?
This was discussed earlier

Lead Administers FT while Trail is substituting