The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Helping the kids???

I've had this happen on 2 occasions.

1. 4th grade ball. I know.. I know. My partner would stop play when the defensive team pressed. Good there was a no press rule, but... he wouldn't do a throw in.. He would just tell the guy with the ball to start dribbling??...

2. Last night... 7th grade catholic game. This guy was a good official, but... towards the end of the game he was allowing subs after made baskets cause "They are down 15 points, and I want to let the kids play ya know". This really perplexed me cause this guy was a good official...

So... I ask you this... Refs like this.. are they helping like they think they are, or hindering the kids they think they are helping??

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

In 4th grade ball I don't believe that it is a problem to restart with a dribble in the situation that you described.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20

1. 4th grade ball. I know.. I know. My partner would stop play when the defensive team pressed. Good there was a no press rule, but... he wouldn't do a throw in.. He would just tell the guy with the ball to start dribbling??...

2. Last night... 7th grade catholic game. This guy was a good official, but... towards the end of the game he was allowing subs after made baskets cause "They are down 15 points, and I want to let the kids play ya know". This really perplexed me cause this guy was a good official...

So... I ask you this... Refs like this.. are they helping like they think they are, or hindering the kids they think they are helping??

How and who does this hurt/hinder? The only answer I could ever come up with is the parents -- and I really dont care to much for them when I am reffing.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20

While I haven't (and likely wouldn't) do this after every basekt, I have been know to have an accidental whistle (ahem) near the end of a blow-out with the end of the bench waiting to sub.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like his heart is in the right place... Remember to keep it about the kids in these leagues. Dont let the screaming parents who are trying to relive their lives thru their kids affect you.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

My rec league utilizes some modified pressing rules (none until last 2 mins of 3rd and 4th Q) and we have them inbound when we have to stop the game to clear out the D. On the 3rd infraction, we issue T.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
My rec league utilizes some modified pressing rules (none until last 2 mins of 3rd and 4th Q) and we have them inbound when we have to stop the game to clear out the D. On the 3rd infraction, we issue T.
It sounds like your league has thought this through better than most. The places I've worked that have no pressing rules never bother to specify a remedy. It's left to the official to figure out how to enforce it.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
It sounds like your league has thought this through better than most. The places I've worked that have no pressing rules never bother to specify a remedy. It's left to the official to figure out how to enforce it.
BITS...if you are heavily involved check this out...(I am on the board for this league)....We actually progress it from league to league to expose the kids to more of the actual elements of the game.

3/4 grade...no press until last 2:00 of 3rd and 4th quarters....period....if an outlet pass gets thrown and the wing player is not paying attention, ball bounce of his back....the D can not pick up the ball....even if it's thrown directly to them, they consider that back court D....Basically, when the ball turns over, the defensive team has to clear out of the BC beyond the HC line.

5/6 grade...no press on made baskets or after dead balls
Can guard in the backcourt after rebounds or as a result of turnover but can not apply direct pressure to ball handler or steal dribble (we monitor this with the 6' closely guarded rule for FC). They can hang out and anticipate, but can't apply pressure.

You can guard wing players to prevent them from recieving passes....once they control the pass, you gotta back off....also loose ball is free game, either team can grab it.....

Full Court Press begins in last 2:00 mins of 3rd/4th Q and the in the second half of season and tourney we allow FCP anytime in the second half so long as you don't have a lead of greater than 10 points.

7/8 grade...FCP anytime up to 20 point lead.

For the 3/4 and 5/6 grade leagues...we also have an isolation rule in place to prevent the better kids from ball hogging and taking all the shots. If they iso by themselves or with 1 or 2 other players each trip down...after the 2nd time, we issue warning and if it happens again 2 times in a row it's a T. Exception being on fast breaks...but if they break, pull it out and the same kid is shooting every trip, we blast the whistle.

The backcourt D and ISO rule...you get 2 infractions as warnings and the 3rd infraction (combined) results in technical fouls.

Last edited by Coltdoggs; Thu Jan 24, 2008 at 10:03pm.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 10:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
While I haven't (and likely wouldn't) do this after every basekt, I have been know to have an accidental whistle (ahem) near the end of a blow-out with the end of the bench waiting to sub.
I have the worst luck with my shoelaces!