The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Nobody Moves for Rebound After Missed FT

Partner calls a common foul on B1 and it is B's 7th team foul of the 2nd half. I move to Lead to administer free throws and announce verbally and visually that we have "one and one" and bounce ball to free thrower A1. A1 misses his first free throw, and nobody moves from their lane spaces. Ball bounces right into the chest of rebounder B2 (who is occupying the first lane space) and he catches it. Still nobody moves. Before B2 tosses the ball back to me or travels with it, I whistle the play dead.

My partner looks at me like I have two heads for blowing the whistle.

I thought that if nobody moves for the rebound (or if only one team), we go to AP and resume with a throw-in out of bounds. He said "no, just give it to red [B]." He also has a few more decades of experience, and he was convinced he was right while I was maybe 95% sure. B had the arrow anyway, but we did not reverse the arrow on throw in. B lost by 25 so I'm not losing sleep, but I am having trouble finding the case play. So how badly did I kick this one?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Do you normally whistle play dead before a player commits violation or foul?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya
Partner calls a common foul on B1 and it is B's 7th team foul of the 2nd half. I move to Lead to administer free throws and announce verbally and visually that we have "one and one" and bounce ball to free thrower A1. A1 misses his first free throw, and nobody moves from their lane spaces. Ball bounces right into the chest of rebounder B2 (who is occupying the first lane space) and he catches it. Still nobody moves. Before B2 tosses the ball back to me or travels with it, I whistle the play dead.

My partner looks at me like I have two heads for blowing the whistle.

I thought that if nobody moves for the rebound (or if only one team), we go to AP and resume with a throw-in out of bounds. He said "no, just give it to red [b]." He also has a few more decades of experience, and he was convinced he was right while I was maybe 95% sure. B had the arrow anyway, but we did not reverse the arrow on throw in. B lost by 25 so I'm not losing sleep, but I am having trouble finding the case play. So how badly did I kick this one?
Pretty badly, but still as you are learning. You only invoke the following case play when an official misinforms the players about the number of FTs, thus causing their lack of action. Also the AP arrow would only be used if neither team was in control following an accidental whistle, which is what you blew. If one team has control that team gets the ball per the POI rule. Your partner had it right.

OFFICIALS PROVIDE ERRONEOUS INFORMATION
8.6.1 SITUATION: A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that two shots will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed shot is rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound. The officials recognize their error at this point. RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be whistled dead immediately and resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (c), both teams made an attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue. (2-3)
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
I think the case play you are thinking of is 8.6.1 sit 1. That is where the official erroneously informs of 2 free throws in a 1 and 1 situation. If nobody moves there, you go to AP.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
Do you normally whistle play dead before a player commits violation or foul?
No. In fact, earlier in the game we had a visiting player pick up the ball and take several steps toward his bench because his coach had requested a time out. Problem was that as trail I was opposite table and already past the division line and my partner was in lead. I whistled the travel even though it was clear what had happened: player heard is coach call for time out and thought it had been granted. I called the travel and asked the coach if he still wanted his timeout. No reason to reward one player's lack of knowledge.

But in a middle school game when all the players from both teams are confused as to what is happening, it seemed prudent. Based on the case play (not sure why I couldn't find that) I will make sure that I misinformed the players before blowing the whistle.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. In fact, earlier in the game we had a visiting player pick up the ball and take several steps toward his bench because his coach had requested a time out. Problem was that as trail I was opposite table and already past the division line and my partner was in lead. I whistled the travel even though it was clear what had happened: player heard is coach call for time out and thought it had been granted. I called the travel and asked the coach if he still wanted his timeout. No reason to reward one player's lack of knowledge.

But in a middle school game when all the players from both teams are confused as to what is happening, it seemed prudent. Based on the case play (not sure why I couldn't find that) I will make sure that I misinformed the players before blowing the whistle.
Why didn't you grant the timeout? If you did or would have the timeout came before the travel.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

The coach was calling for timeout before his kid traveled. I didn't hear him until after the travel. His kids & the other team both went to their benches since had heard the yell for timeout. I went over to the coach and said "Coach, your player traveled before I granted the timeout. He must have heard your request before I did, and didn't wait for the whistle. Would you still like your timeout?" There were only 10 seconds left in the half, he had been hoping to set up a play, but since his team had just turned the ball over he no longer wanted the time out. He said that no, if I had a travel then he didn't want the timeout, and I called both benches back. Only took a few seconds.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The coach was calling for timeout before his kid traveled. I didn't hear him until after the travel. His kids & the other team both went to their benches since had heard the yell for timeout. I went over to the coach and said "Coach, your player traveled before I granted the timeout. He must have heard your request before I did, and didn't wait for the whistle. Would you still like your timeout?" There were only 10 seconds left in the half, he had been hoping to set up a play, but since his team had just turned the ball over he no longer wanted the time out. He said that no, if I had a travel then he didn't want the timeout, and I called both benches back. Only took a few seconds.
I understand and can remember figuring out what happened after the fact a few times.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Pretty badly, but still as you are learning. You only invoke the following case play when an official misinforms the players about the number of FTs, thus causing their lack of action. Also the AP arrow would only be used if neither team was in control following an accidental whistle, which is what you blew. If one team has control that team gets the ball per the POI rule. Your partner had it right.

OFFICIALS PROVIDE ERRONEOUS INFORMATION
8.6.1 SITUATION: A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that two shots will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed shot is rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound. The officials recognize their error at this point. RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be whistled dead immediately and resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (c), both teams made an attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue. (2-3)
I think it's important to note that in the Original Post, inigo stated that he CORRECTLY announced that this was a 1 and 1 situation. I don't believe this case play is applicable when the kids are just playing stupid for a minute or 20.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't that what Nevada said in the post you quote? I wrongly invoked the caseplay - although if it had been my mistake it would have been the proper caseplay.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Yes he did.