The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Crewless in Chicago

In my area, you are more apt to get better assignments with a crew, which probably applies to everyone.

I'm not in a crew and am looking to hook up with one. It's touchy, much like Real Estate where you want to buy the least expensive home on the block, I want stronger partners than myself. Conversely I have fellow refs who I'm very friendly with and they want to hook up with me , yet I can't tell them I wouldn't want to.

I guess I just have to keep working hard. This year has been a real eye opener for me and have learned alot thanks to a few state final guys and of course this site. I was off a whole year due to illness and it set me back with assignors and their rolodexes.

That said, to always be paired with the same crew can lead to a little staleness IMHO.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 11:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
In my area, you are more apt to get better assignments with a crew, which probably applies to everyone.
If you live in and around the Chicago area, that is not true. Most people that are successful officials do not work with any regular partners. There are some exceptions, but the officials that do this are on very equal playing field as it relates to experience or there years working. Actually most of the big time officials I work with almost never work with the same people. There are a couple of conferences up north that like crews, but it is not a requirement to get a better assignment. Most assignors will not entertain the idea at all.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If you live in and around the Chicago area, that is not true. Most people that are successful officials do not work with any regular partners. There are some exceptions, but the officials that do this are on very equal playing field as it relates to experience or there years working. Actually most of the big time officials I work with almost never work with the same people. There are a couple of conferences up north that like crews, but it is not a requirement to get a better assignment. Most assignors will not entertain the idea at all.

Peace

Well, I'm up North. And to your point, If I was a big dawg with like officials it would be easier. Middle of the road on the food chain having a crew may not mean anything.

Lonesome in Lake County
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 01:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Well, I'm up North. And to your point, If I was a big dawg with like officials it would be easier. Middle of the road on the food chain having a crew may not mean anything.

Lonesome in Lake County
Even up North it is not a requirement to be on a crew. One of the assignors in the northern part likes crews, but I have worked games for him and I was not crewed up. And that is on the Boy's side. The Girl's side is going to have a new assignor and I have worked for him in another conference while doing Boy's basketball. And he does no assign exclusively by crews. I do not know if I am a big dawg, but I have been around and this is not at all necessary to work games in and around the Chicago area.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Even up North it is not a requirement to be on a crew. One of the assignors in the northern part likes crews, but I have worked games for him and I was not crewed up. And that is on the Boy's side. The Girl's side is going to have a new assignor and I have worked for him in another conference while doing Boy's basketball. And he does no assign exclusively by crews. I do not know if I am a big dawg, but I have been around and this is not at all necessary to work games in and around the Chicago area.

Peace

Initials ST?