The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Subs after time-out

I know that subs can’t normally come in before the first of two free throws. But can they come in after a timeout is granted before the shots are taken? Providing of coarse that they check in at the table before the warning horn sounds.

Can’t seem to find a definitive answer in the rule book on this.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I believe Rule 3 section 3 addresses it...... (from '06-07)

Art. 1... A substitute who desires to enter shall report to the scorer, giving his/her number.
a.Between quarters, at halftime and during a time-out, the substitute must report or be in position to report to the scorer, prior to the warning signal which is sounded 15 seconds before the end of the intermission for a 60-second time-out and prior to the 20-second warning during a 30-second time-out.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I believe Rule 3 section 3 addresses it...... (from '06-07)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
Art. 1... A substitute who desires to enter shall report to the scorer, giving his/her number.

a.Between quarters, at halftime and during a time-out, the substitute must report or be in position to report to the scorer, prior to the warning signal which is sounded 15 seconds before the end of the intermission for a 60-second time-out and prior to the 20-second warning during a 30-second time-out.
How does that jibe with 3-3-1-c:
During multiple free-throw personal fouls, substitutions may be made only before the final attempt in the sequence and after the final attempt has been converted.
(There is an exception, but that is to allow subs to enter if they are at the table and a player must be replaced because of injury or disqualification.)
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef

During multiple free-throw personal fouls, substitutions may be made only before the final attempt in the sequence and after the final attempt has been converted.
(There is an exception, but that is to allow subs to enter if they are at the table and a player must be replaced because of injury or disqualification.)
Ya, I saw that one. Like you say it appears the only exception is during an injury replacement and then all subs may enter before the shots are taken.

Sitch: After a personal foul by B1 on A1 during a shot attempt, a timeout is requested by team B prior to the players lining up at the lane for 2 free throw attempts. Before the warning horn sounds during the time-out, substitutes B6 and A6 report to the table. Can the official allow the substitution before the first of the two free throws?
I think the answer is no? Anyone?
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I would think the reason for not allowing subs before the first of 2 or 3 FT's is to prevent delay of the administration of those FT's. If there's a TO, there is no FT administration delay.

Also, check out 3.3.1 SIT D(c)

(Used with permission.)

Last edited by M&M Guy; Mon Jan 21, 2008 at 03:22pm.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I would think the reason for not allowing subs before the first of 2 or 3 FT's is to prevent delay of the administration of those FT's. If there's a TO, there is no FT administration delay.

Also, check out 3.3.1 SIT D(c)
Agreed. The subs aren't entering during a FT. They're entering during a timeout.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

We have been allowing subs in prior to the first shot (of two) if there is any delay such as injury, wiping up moisture from floor, etc. Are we wrong?
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef

How does that jibe with 3-3-1-c:
I keep it simple. If a TO is requested/granted, regardless of when, then substitutions are allowed, if at the table before the warning horn. 3-3-1c refers to the ONLY time you can sub during multiple FT attempts (if no TO is granted during) edited for clarity just in case.

Last edited by Splute; Mon Jan 21, 2008 at 04:50pm.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra44
We have been allowing subs in prior to the first shot (of two) if there is any delay such as injury, wiping up moisture from floor, etc. Are we wrong?
But the letter of the rule, perhaps. But as M&M stated, the intent of the rule is to eliminate unnecessary delays. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Tony, you beat me to it. I believe the case play says in the event of an injury where the player needs to be replaced, if the subs are already at the table they are allowed in with the replacement player. If they come to the table after the replacement is beckoned, then they should stay at the table. This seems to tell me that the overriding issue is preventing delay of the FT, not necessarily whether it is before or after the first FT. In the event of another type of delay (say, wiping up the floor), I wouldn't have a problem letting in the subs either.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 08:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sounds Good To Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
The subs aren't entering during a FT. They're entering during a timeout.
Sounds logical, and simple, to me.