The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Hockey
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

How have you dealt with the line brawl or near-line brawl scenario?

I have had them creep up more than I would like lately, and I have not been pleased with how I have handled them. I am running around too much and not really breaking anything up, only half breaking up everything.

I try to just put the priority on those fights where one player is gaining an advantage, but at times that is not obvious until it is too late.

Opinions/Advice?
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm... I'd probably start hitting somebody myself! LOL! I'd probably go for the goalie, I don't like them much. ;o)

Seriously though, I've never had that situation. But I'd imagine that if I had to deal with it, I'd just start ejecting people (USA Hockey and local league rules) like a mad-man.

I'd probably start by discussing with my partner who and how we were going to boot. Then, one at a time, after writing down the numbers, we'd begin slowly getting pairs of fighters off the ice. If it was too unruly and too many people were fighting for the game to continue, we'd probably call the game off and let the boys throw their money away.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hab_in_exile
How have you dealt with the line brawl or near-line brawl scenario?

I have had them creep up more than I would like lately, and I have not been pleased with how I have handled them. I am running around too much and not really breaking anything up, only half breaking up everything.

I try to just put the priority on those fights where one player is gaining an advantage, but at times that is not obvious until it is too late.

Opinions/Advice?
First, in a three man system, obviously, the ref's first priority is to get everyone back to the benches, while the linesmen get to the fights. Then he steps back and watches. The linesmen go from fight to fight, breaking them up. Important tip 1 - NEVER GO IN ALONE. Important tip 2 - once you pick a fight, DON'T LEAVE IT UNTIL ITS BROKEN UP. Separate the players, get them to the penalty box, then move on to the next fight. If a player is telling you to let him go and move on because his buddy is getting pounded, say to him "I can't leave you and help him until you get in the box. The faster you get there, the quicker I can get back to the fights."

Third - Don't get frustrated or excited. Stay calm. Break 'em up one at a time. Don't fell bad because you couldn't save a kid from getting pounded because you picked the wrong fight. Its not your fault he is competent enough to chuck the knuckles.

Its a bit more difficult in a two-man system. One partner plays linesman, the other plays referee. One official works to get everyone back to the bench, while the other official gets a chance to prioritize the fights.

Once the "referee" thinks the benches are under control, he can then go in and break up fights, as per the guidelines above.

Basically, stand back, take a deep breath, then work with your partner until things are cleared up.