The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Yes, Father

I had a unique game a few nights ago. Boys Varsity at a private all boys, catholic school. The priest is the coach. Full attire - down, cloak, collar the whole 9 yards.

Well, had a problem telling the priest to behave. PLease note I went to catholic schools my whole life and was baptised, communed and confirmed. - I am a church goer and respect the clergy, like they ought to be.

The priest was anamated. He was flopping around on the floor (on the court) like a fish. At least it answered a question I always had about what they wore under the cloak. lol.

Anyway, I was afraid to repremand him. Maybe it was 18 years of being told to respect the priest and that what they said was law.

Ever happen to anybody else?

I didn't have it in me to give him the stop sign....
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me
Anyway, I was afraid to reprimand him.
You need to get over that. And in a hurry. He's a coach. Nothing more, nothing less. Treat 'em all the same.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I am a church goer and respect the clergy, like they ought to be.
Why respect somebody that doesn't respect you?
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Not had this in my time but if I did, I'm treating him as the coach and only the coach. If his behavior is not so God-like or WWJD (maybe that should be WJWD), then he'll have to deal with that and his creator...We have a game to call...
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:42am
Huck Finn

Since you looked under his cloak, did he have a crop you could borrow?
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a unique game a few nights ago. Boys Varsity at a private all boys, catholic school. The priest is the coach. Full attire - down, cloak, collar the whole 9 yards.

Well, had a problem telling the priest to behave. PLease note I went to catholic schools my whole life and was baptised, communed and confirmed. - I am a church goer and respect the clergy, like they ought to be.

The priest was anamated. He was flopping around on the floor (on the court) like a fish. At least it answered a question I always had about what they wore under the cloak. lol.

Anyway, I was afraid to repremand him. Maybe it was 18 years of being told to respect the priest and that what they said was law.

Ever happen to anybody else?

I didn't have it in me to give him the stop sign....

"He was flopping around on the floor (on the court) like a fish"

Was it a Friday game?
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

We all have roles we play in life. For a time we put that role on, we act in it, then we take it off when we're done. Referee is one of those roles. And for the 90 minutes or so while you're acting in that role, you are the law. Coaches, players, even fans must respect and obey you or answer to you for their non-compliance. When acting in that role you have a serious responsibility to all of the participants to perform that role to the best of your ability. Otherwise you're letting some, or all, of those participants down.

As for the priest, he is not the absolute authority even in his own parish church. He is answerable to his superiors if his conduct is inappropriate as regards the church. He is answerable to the law of the land if his conduct is illegal. He is answerable to God for all his actions. And for those 90 minutes, he is answerable to the referees for his conduct on the sidelines.

What ere thou art, act well thy part.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Why respect somebody that doesn't respect you?
I bet that the priest respects the OP as a member of God's children and a follower of Jesus Christ. When in place as a coach, he did act in a way that should have been penalized with a technical foul, and I think that the OP knew that before he posted. (The official was caught up in the beauty of apostolic succession, which I can totally understand.)

Your first reply was right on the money: take care of business.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:53am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
We all have roles we play in life. For a time we put that role on, we act in it, then we take it off when we're done. Referee is one of those roles. And for the 90 minutes or so while you're acting in that role, you are the law. Coaches, players, even fans must respect and obey you or answer to you for their non-compliance. When acting in that role you have a serious responsibility to all of the participants to perform that role to the best of your ability. Otherwise you're letting some, or all, of those participants down.

As for the priest, he is not the absolute authority even in his own parish church. He is answerable to his superiors if his conduct is inappropriate as regards the church. He is answerable to the law of the land if his conduct is illegal. He is answerable to God for all his actions. And for those 90 minutes, he is answerable to the referees for his conduct on the sidelines.

What ere thou art, act well thy part.
Precisely.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:54am
Huck Finn

Part of me says this: if I was the opposing coach and noticed this behavior, you would either call something on both of us or I would embarass you. What would you do if the other coach was doing the same thing but wasn't a priest? Would you call something or would you let it go too? If you didn't let it go, how could justify calling it on the non-priest but giving the priest a pass?