The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
A good point was made in another post about reviewing tape. I have been able to do this while at camp, but I have no one to tape me at my games. Can you request a copy of the game tape from a college's Athletic Department? If you can, does it really do any good, or does it only show the players and ball movement?

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
A good point was made in another post about reviewing tape. I have been able to do this while at camp, but I have no one to tape me at my games. Can you request a copy of the game tape from a college's Athletic Department? If you can, does it really do any good, or does it only show the players and ball movement?

Chuck
Chuck - I would talk to one of the veteran officials that work in the same conference(s) you do. If I want to get a copy of a tape I make sure to send an email to my supervisor asking him for a copy of the tape. He usually responds with an email say, "Call Coach X and tell him I said to call him." This is the procedure I follow, because I've come to understand it's the procedure that my supervisor wants to be followed.

As far as the other question...The tapes I have seen have been very helpful. The angle is usually wide enough to see 2, if not all 3 of the officials and you can see offenses and defensive movements.

hope this helps,
Jake
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Reviewing Tapes

I concur with the earlier comments. I would clear all of this with your supervisor(s) first. Additionally, here is what I do. I bring a VCR to all of my games. We have to be at games so early so, I go to the video coordinator for one of the teams, connect my VCR to their camera with RCA cables and have the video coordinator hit record on my VCR for me. That is all they have to do. After the game, I either get security to go up and gather my things and bring them to me, or depending on how the game goes and circumstances I get get my VCR myself.
The main thing is to understand and know how to "break" a game down and to self-critique. Many officials, fall short in this category. A person must want to get better and have an open mind to new suggestions and ideas on how to handle certain situations, plays, and philosophy. It is very easy to spot the individuals that don't want to get better, as I have seen this happen in many a video room at camp, and talking with other officials about plays and philosophy in general (even on this board as well).

BE YOUR OWN WORST CRITIC!!! I have several forms that I use when breaking down tapes, that I have either developed myself and/or have taken some from camps that I have attended.

HAPPY TAPE REVIEWING!!!!
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Reviewing Tapes

Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
The main thing is to understand and know how to "break" a game down and to self-critique. Many officials, fall short in this category.
Believe me, that's why I want to see last night's game tape. I didn't have a very good game. I don't think I screwed up anything obvious, but we had a couple double whistles and I didn't know who was going to the table. I'm sure I looked like an idiot. Also I called a foul behind the play, and the R told me that in our particular situation, it probably would've been better to let it go and let the play continue. I'd like to get a second look at it. I reached across the lane a couple times as the Lead, b/c I'm so used to 2-man games. There's plenty I could look at on that tape. I was very disappointed in my performance after what I felt was a good game last Saturday.

Thanks for the tips on getting the tape. I will talk to my R, and then to my assignor if he thinks it's a good idea.

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Call the AD

I have gotten a few tapes by just calling the AD or talking to him or her during the time I am there. Usually they will tell you what they can do or what you have to do to get a copy of the game tape. I have had them sent to me without it costing me a sent. It just depends on the school or level sometimes.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Chuck --

I have a middle school kid who I pay five bucks and buy popcorn for. He uses my equipment (Camcorder and tripod), sits in the back row (I;m only doing JH up to JV) and the tape usually tells me what I need to be working on. There was one tape that he was goofing around too much for the tape to be useful, but I just told him that wasn't acceptable, and we never had any more problems. It's not rocket science, so even a kid who will take $5 for three hours time can do an adequate job.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

I am the rookie advisor for our association. One of my duties is to video the rookies. While videotaping I talk quietly and give pointers. I review the tape and write down what I said. The tape is given to the rookie and they review it at their convenience. A few weeks ago I had an 8th grade game and brought my 8 y/o son to video the game. I guess I didn't give him good enough instructions on how to do it. He kept rapidly panning the action as well as zooming in and out constantly. The tape was unwatchable and about made me puke.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen some bad tapes too, things like stopping the camera for timeouts, deadballs or free throws and then forgetting to start it again, and next thing you know you're missing 5 minutes. But then again sometimes you get to hear some of those interesting/funny comments from the "refs" in the stands that are ignored during the game.