The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Put me out of my misery...

This is a post from my blog...you can see the link in my sig, but I thought I'd post it here as well.

It took 37 games to hit the brick wall. 37 games to have that one situation...that one realization...that maybe...just maybe...I shouldn't be here.

Do I really feel that way? After 4 or 5 hours of thinking, no. But at halftime of the 37th game, I felt that way. I was ready to walk out. I was SO angry.

I did two games tonight, girls C/JV. I'll post more about that in another post.

2nd quarter of JV game. I'm lead in front of B's bench. I blow my whistle and signal foul. As I'm walking towards the table, I hear the the players on B's bench chirping. They are saying things like "That wasn't a foul!" "Come on ref." And things like that. No big deal. I go to the coach and say, "Coach, please warn your players about arguing and questioning all calls from the bench," and continue on to report my foul. Coach takes a couple steps and in a very sarcastic tone says, "Well then you need to call right."

I issue a technical to the coach. I gave him a very legitimate warning to give to his players and responded with a sarcastic remark. I wasn't going to take that. Partner give the coach the seatbelt and I move away from it all.

About 10 seconds into the second half, I'm lead again. This time in front of A's bench. I blow my whistle again to signal a foul. I look up at the clock furthest away from me to make sure it's stopped. As I glance over I notice the B's coach up off the bench about 5 feet away from his chair onto the court. As I'm going to report, I tell coach, "You need to remain seated." He sticks his hand out, giving me the stop sign and continues talking to his players. I need to point out that he was NOT reacting a play and was out on the floor COACHING his players. I give him his second T and tell him he has been ejected.

After I report all the fouls I stand in front of the table waiting for the coach to leave. What I didn't mention is that 3 veteran officails (one of which is our regional assignor) are sitting in the stands behind B's bench waiting for their Varsity game. They were sitting about 5 rows up...which is pretty far behind the bench. I notice that as the coach leaves, our regional assignor gets up and follows him out. I was pissed from that point.

We finish the half without incident and head to the locker room. I go in and sit down and begin discussing what we need to work on with my partner in the second half when he walks in. He makes a beeline towards me and starts talking.

He wants to know what the coach said to warrant the first T. I told him and he says, "No. Thats no what he said." I asked him how he knew that and he said that he was sitting behind the bench an heard. I lost it. I replied, "Thats bulls$%^, there is no way you could have heard him from way up there." I told him about the tone the coach said it in and the inflection. He told me that I need to lend an ear when a coach needs to vent. I agreed, but not in this situation. I told him that I gave the coach a legitimate warning to his bench and he responded with sarcasm so I wouldn't "lend an ear" to that. The other "veteran" even told me that in his opinion I was "glorifying" myself with my whistle. This coming from a guy that told of a story of him T'ing a coach when the coach raised his hands in the air questioning a call. "Take control of the game," he said. Yeah right.

He then told me that the second Technical was also unwarranted because I let the Home coach on the court also. He was right. I don't have a problem with a coach walking onto the court a foot or two to talk to their players...as long as they are out of the way. I know of a few refs...including the man giving me the lecture, and I told him that. I also told him that before the Technical, I was letting the Visiting coach have the same leeway as the Home coach.

I then told him that I wanted to know what he told the coach. I was very upset and lost my cool. I told him that if he told the coach the same things he told me that he sold me out and I wouldn't stand for that. He told me he just went to the coach so that he could vent...nothing more. I don't really have a choice but to believe him...so I left it at that.

I was livid...I was angry...I wanted to walk out right there. I felt thrown under the bus. I didn't feel that I was being helped in this situation. I just felt as if I was being signaled out...in front of my partner and the other referees for my actions. It made me wonder if I really wanted to continue doing what I love to do.

But I'm better than that. I know I lost it and after my game I apologized for losing it like that but still re-iterated that I felt I was justified in EVERY ASPECT of the situation.

Now it's time to write up the game report.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

AP,
9 techs in 37 games is not good. When I first started out I had similar numbers. Perhaps it's nerves, or the hyper-alertness felt when doing something new. It goes away. Relax.
The more you work, the more opportunities you'll have to deal with coaches and players. You will develop the skills needed to talk and diffuse situations.
Your vet refs were talking at you in a poor attempt to give you advice. But it was advice for your benefit. Yes, I was told I brought attention to myself on the floor.
Your techs tonight seem justified as you describe them, although I probably would have tried to talk the coach back to his bench first.

The assignor-coach conversation went like this: "He's young, he's new, he'll learn. Don't worry, I'll talk to him." And then the coach fibbed. Happens.

Seek out some other vets for game management pointers. The first tip: Don't react immediately; take a breath.

37 games is nothing to base a career on. You don't even know what you're doing yet.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

I agree with that completely. I should note that a lot of those T's are delay of game tech's and administrative technicals. Coaches forgetting to enter names in books, etc. I tend to get a lot of lower level games both in playing ability and coaching. I know it's because I'm new. I have no problem with that.

I did try and talk the coach back to his bench...his reply was the "stop sign" with his hand. I do agree with you however, that they were trying to help. The tact was horrible...but the intent was there. I realize that now that I've had time to think about it.

37 games is nothing to base a career on...but it is something to come to a realization...and that realization is what you just told me in your post. It's almost as if I'm starting over

It's one thing to read the rules and know them well, but it's another to go out there and use them. That comes with time...thats the realization I'm getting.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Numbers of T's vs games worked doesn't matter.

Your vets probably don't remember what it's like at the lower levels, varsity coaches don't behave on a whole the way the lower level coaches do...you aren't that experienced and neither are they.

You unlike the coach is required to deal with unsporting behavior.

If the T's you are giving are all reacting to behavior than don't sweat it...now if you are initiating communications, giving ultimatums, that sort of things that can be an issue.

My guess is with vets mentoring as you described, you may be dealing with the back lash of nobody else taking care of business and coaches running amuck.

There have been very few T's I've given out where I questioned myself for giving them. The times I've lost sleep over not giving one is far more common.

My rule of thumb is this:

Did it make the game better?

I tossed a youth coach last Saturday. His team went on an 8-2 run right after and ended up winning a 1 point game, with no problems the rest of the way.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

I can understand this situation from both sides. There's a really good litmus test to use when evaluating your response's appropriateness objectively which is:

- Did the response fit the game/situation?
- Did the response help the game?
- Can your assignor/supervisor defend the response?

I think that this is a really good learning experience for you that I wish I had so early in my career. Games do not happen in a vaccum, and the schools are essentially "clients" of the assignor. More often than not, any game where Ts are thrown, the assignor will get a phone call from the coach where essentially your punitive action will be "put on trial." In this case, with the assignor there, it all happened at the gym and you saw the process. Clearly your responses failed the litmus test, so the best you can do is learn from the situation.

Did the assignor or the other varsity refs act appropriately? Not necessarily. I don't really think ripping a young ref at halftime about Ts is necessarily the best response, nor did it put you in a situation to learn from what happened. That part of it seemed rather self-serving to me, especially the other V ref throwing in his two cents about you "glorifying" yourself. I bet you had trouble moving on to the 2nd half of that game confidently.

My suggestion is to let the smoke clear a little bit and in the next couple of days, put in a phone call to the assignor, in a less emotional state, and ask him what he saw, and what he would've done in your shoes. If a tape is available, ask to maybe buy him a beer and watch the game tape with him so that you can learn from the game, and bottom line, listen to what he has to say, no arguing or defending. At the very least, try to get a copy of the tape yourself so that you can determine what led to this and what you can do better next time. It is from these type of events that we find out the most about ourselves and we can gain the most amount of improvement. Between now and then, think about what you could have done to handle the 1st T better, keeping in mind the litmus test and the idea that we shouldn't seek closure or the last word.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
9 techs in 37 games is not good.
So what is an acceptable number of technical fouls for 37 games? You act as if these arbitrary numbers matter for something. Situations occur which need to be handled.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 04:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
So what is an acceptable number of technical fouls for 37 games? You act as if these arbitrary numbers matter for something. Situations occur which need to be handled.
Exactly.

A few years ago, I had gone an entire season without one, my partner only had called one, and in a course of 3 games I had 1 each on a player and coach, 1 on a player, and the last game 3 players and a coach.

So which is it?

I'm a great game manager with zero in 30 games or I completely became a tech happy bully with 7 in 3 games?

FYI, that means I called 7 in 33 games, so I guess I have a problem too.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

Here are my thoughts:
Your assignor has no backbone. Your local V official is an weak-willed sissy that's why he gets varsity games from that assignor. Team B's coach is a jack@ss.

If I had been sitting in the fifth row behind the bench and observed you, I would have stood up and applauded as the coach walked out.

Keep taking care of business and don't worry about the opinions of those who don't.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 05:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Here are my thoughts:
Your assignor has no backbone. Your local V official is an weak-willed sissy that's why he gets varsity games from that assignor. Team B's coach is a jack@ss.

If I had been sitting in the fifth row behind the bench and observed you, I would have stood up and applauded as the coach walked out.

Keep taking care of business and don't worry about the opinions of those who don't.
Amen to that. I've had those days and I'm glad they're over for now.

What the OP did was absolutely warranted. Lower level coaches are used to getting officials that can't or won't take care of business. Instead of listening to the OP and directing his players to knock it off, the coach baited you into calling technical number 1. By giving you the Heisman, he told the OP he was irrelevant and that he was going to do whatever he liked.

I would've gotten dressed and left and not said anything to the assignor. Back then. Today I would've told him exactly what I thought of him and then backed up the bus and ran it over him again. And then, if the state is involved in picking the assignor, I'd probably send a report to them, as well. I've done this once before (in another state) when I ejected our baseball assignor coaching a basketball game and he threatened my schedule. In a year, he was gone from both jobs.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 05:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Exactly.

A few years ago, I had gone an entire season without one, my partner only had called one, and in a course of 3 games I had 1 each on a player and coach, 1 on a player, and the last game 3 players and a coach.

So which is it?

I'm a great game manager with zero in 30 games or I completely became a tech happy bully with 7 in 3 games?

FYI, that means I called 7 in 33 games, so I guess I have a problem too.
Same logic I've sent out to others in the no "T" or "ejection" crowd.

Last season, I had 2 baseball ejections all season. The year before I had 9. So I guess I was bad one season and better the next.

GMAFB. I can't control whether I have an idiot standing on the sideline or in the dugout - I can only control if he gets to stick around.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 06:44am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Here are my thoughts:

Amen also.

There was no reason for the assignor to get involved in the first place unless he received a complaint. And if he did get a complaint, the facts of the situation deem that the official should have been backed to the hilt. The coach got a righteous "T". He was rightfully seatbelted. And now he think that he can still wander around all over the damn floor? No f'ing way!

Your assignor and Mr. Veteran Official really, really need to grow a new crop. You'll be around when both of them are gone, NM_Ref.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 08:20am
Administrator

NM_Ref:

I want to second my Amen to what Nevada and JR said in their posts. I would say that you handled both situations with HC-B correctly. HC-B decided to take all the rope that he needed to hang himself.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Your assignor demonstrated absolutely terrible leadership and management by doing what he did. I know I'm also a new official, but...

The coach's retort when you attempted to warn his bench seems to me that it warranted the T, especially since you weren't even warning the coach directly. It didn't come out of a confrontation between the two of you. The stop-sign is completely out of line, again IMO.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

I feel for you, man. It's only my 3rd year, but this is my worst nightmare. Assignors like the guy you mentioned have too much power, in my opinion. If this affects your schedule, it's a real shame.

For the coach to hold out the stop sign after you told him to sit down is something that just can't be tolerated. He's dismissing you and you have to T him at that point.

Good luck to you.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 10:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80
Assignors like the guy you mentioned have too much power, in my opinion.
It's not a matter of having the power. It's a matter of misusing the power.