View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Put me out of my misery...

This is a post from my blog...you can see the link in my sig, but I thought I'd post it here as well.

It took 37 games to hit the brick wall. 37 games to have that one situation...that one realization...that maybe...just maybe...I shouldn't be here.

Do I really feel that way? After 4 or 5 hours of thinking, no. But at halftime of the 37th game, I felt that way. I was ready to walk out. I was SO angry.

I did two games tonight, girls C/JV. I'll post more about that in another post.

2nd quarter of JV game. I'm lead in front of B's bench. I blow my whistle and signal foul. As I'm walking towards the table, I hear the the players on B's bench chirping. They are saying things like "That wasn't a foul!" "Come on ref." And things like that. No big deal. I go to the coach and say, "Coach, please warn your players about arguing and questioning all calls from the bench," and continue on to report my foul. Coach takes a couple steps and in a very sarcastic tone says, "Well then you need to call right."

I issue a technical to the coach. I gave him a very legitimate warning to give to his players and responded with a sarcastic remark. I wasn't going to take that. Partner give the coach the seatbelt and I move away from it all.

About 10 seconds into the second half, I'm lead again. This time in front of A's bench. I blow my whistle again to signal a foul. I look up at the clock furthest away from me to make sure it's stopped. As I glance over I notice the B's coach up off the bench about 5 feet away from his chair onto the court. As I'm going to report, I tell coach, "You need to remain seated." He sticks his hand out, giving me the stop sign and continues talking to his players. I need to point out that he was NOT reacting a play and was out on the floor COACHING his players. I give him his second T and tell him he has been ejected.

After I report all the fouls I stand in front of the table waiting for the coach to leave. What I didn't mention is that 3 veteran officails (one of which is our regional assignor) are sitting in the stands behind B's bench waiting for their Varsity game. They were sitting about 5 rows up...which is pretty far behind the bench. I notice that as the coach leaves, our regional assignor gets up and follows him out. I was pissed from that point.

We finish the half without incident and head to the locker room. I go in and sit down and begin discussing what we need to work on with my partner in the second half when he walks in. He makes a beeline towards me and starts talking.

He wants to know what the coach said to warrant the first T. I told him and he says, "No. Thats no what he said." I asked him how he knew that and he said that he was sitting behind the bench an heard. I lost it. I replied, "Thats bulls$%^, there is no way you could have heard him from way up there." I told him about the tone the coach said it in and the inflection. He told me that I need to lend an ear when a coach needs to vent. I agreed, but not in this situation. I told him that I gave the coach a legitimate warning to his bench and he responded with sarcasm so I wouldn't "lend an ear" to that. The other "veteran" even told me that in his opinion I was "glorifying" myself with my whistle. This coming from a guy that told of a story of him T'ing a coach when the coach raised his hands in the air questioning a call. "Take control of the game," he said. Yeah right.

He then told me that the second Technical was also unwarranted because I let the Home coach on the court also. He was right. I don't have a problem with a coach walking onto the court a foot or two to talk to their players...as long as they are out of the way. I know of a few refs...including the man giving me the lecture, and I told him that. I also told him that before the Technical, I was letting the Visiting coach have the same leeway as the Home coach.

I then told him that I wanted to know what he told the coach. I was very upset and lost my cool. I told him that if he told the coach the same things he told me that he sold me out and I wouldn't stand for that. He told me he just went to the coach so that he could vent...nothing more. I don't really have a choice but to believe him...so I left it at that.

I was livid...I was angry...I wanted to walk out right there. I felt thrown under the bus. I didn't feel that I was being helped in this situation. I just felt as if I was being signaled out...in front of my partner and the other referees for my actions. It made me wonder if I really wanted to continue doing what I love to do.

But I'm better than that. I know I lost it and after my game I apologized for losing it like that but still re-iterated that I felt I was justified in EVERY ASPECT of the situation.

Now it's time to write up the game report.